Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default XMen Gold #4 SPOILERS

Gambit breaks into a facility to steal something. He is caught by guards and he fights them off before finding a small container.

In other parts, Kitty, Rachel and Nightcrawler ambush the Society of Serpents during a robbery and easily take them out. Kitty is having pumbling installed into central park and Rachel is now a liaison btw the XMen and the cops.

At a morgue, Ororo and Logan investigate the murder of a mutant. He was executed with a rare bullet not even the military has access to. Ororo and Logan are informed that there’s been several mutant assassinations lately.

Meanwhile, Gambit meets with his boss and it turns out to be Olivia Trask who ordered him to steal the vial as she knows it contains nanobites that need AI to operate. She wants to militarize them. Gambit backs off their deal and claims he can’t give them to her. Olivia assures him it’s not to kill muties but to make money. Gambit don’t care. They fight and Gambit drops the vial releasing the nanobites into the air. Oliva tells him he’s messed up.

Colouss and Cecilia Reyes analyze the green monster dude from the Brotherhood. They can’t communicate but Cecilia discovers he’s not even a mutant.

Magma and Kitty train in the danger room and discuss that the green monster is an alien, but Magma doesn’t remember much. Kitty comforts her.

Rachel and Gambit then pull Kitty into a psychic conversation and learn of his latest troubles. As the team heads to him, Rachel gets a view of the newest rogue Sentinel as it prepares to attack Remy.

END.

This issue is actually pretty good, at least compared to the past three. Remy looked like a fool but I liked that most everyone actually got time to shine.

I can't pick up my subscription at the comic shop till tomorrow, but I can't wait to read it!

Rachel a liaison between the cops and the X-men? I love that! I always thought that Rachel would make a great cop/Private I. At least it is a step in the right direction for me.

Poor Gambit. He always has to break into places to steel things for $.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I hope they will add Gambit and Magma to the team.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

BANNED

It's sort of amazing how immediately and how much a change in artist improved the book. Silva was great on this and it seems like Guggenhiem really needs as capable and expressive an artist as him to do the narrative heavy lifting. Like night and day from Syaf.

To be honest it worries a bit for Lashley who's a bit more static and less emotional. He worked okay with Bunn, but I get the feeling it'll come off as flat with Guggenhiem.

As for the content itself:

-Excalibur trio vs the Serpent Society was fun.
    -lol@Storm pulling out that old XSE badge. She must be craving some authority again after handing the keys to Kitty.
    -Gambit fucking things up feels on point.
    -Another Trask?!? Bolivar needed some serious family planning...
    -Cecilia Reyes <3
    -Greenie being an alien probably means some Space Opera down the road.
    -Ugh@Colossus in general. Guggenhiem stop.
    -Magma sticking around is good to see. Also flying still, lol.
    -Notice how Rachel interrupts right when Kitty starts getting close with Amara? Subtext lives...
    -New Sentinel looks neat. I do wonder if there's a long term plan forming for this and Bunn's rainbow brigade down the line.

Dr. Reyes. My heart.

So... is Amara officially joining the cast?

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

They should just rename Gambit Skapegoat at this point

Quote Originally Posted by gifted View Post
    Dr. Reyes. My heart.

So... is Amara officially joining the cast?
    It's hard to say. She didn't really get much face time. She did seem pretty upset about being controlled by Mesmero though. I hope she gets a chance to fight back. Amara is one of those characters I thought always had unrealized potential. With X-men Gold and a team of the X-men's heaviest hitters, I think this is a great opportunity for her to step up. I hope she takes it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    They should just rename Gambit Skapegoat at this point
    LOL, no kidding. Overall, it wasn't bad. Not a fan of the art.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    It's sort of amazing how immediately and how much a change in artist improved the book. Silva was great on this and it seems like Guggenhiem really needs as capable and expressive an artist as him to do the narrative heavy lifting. Like night and day from Syaf.

To be honest it worries a bit for Lashley who's a bit more static and less emotional. He worked okay with Bunn, but I get the feeling it'll come off as flat with Guggenhiem.
    Agree with this. Silva was on point this issue! Loved it. Especially his take on Logan. Would love to see him and Pepe Larraz as rotating artists on this book. Perhaps with Lashley too in order to keep it bi-monthly.

Cool issue! Loved it.

It was stated that Gambit stole it NOT for cash.
    Excited for more. Sad that Gambit won't join team.

Guggenheim wrote him fun enough)

This art makes the book feel much less dated than Syaf's did(though the coloring was a big part of that too). It really gives a new feel to it(and everyone looks pretty!), now just get rid of the costumes.

Hopefully everyone will stop complaining about Kitty's hair now that Silva's drawn it and showed everyone that it does look good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    This art makes the book feel much less dated than Syaf's did(though the coloring was a big part of that too). It really gives a new feel to it(and everyone looks pretty!), now just get rid of the costumes.
    The colorist is still doing his best to ruin Silva's art though, sadly.

Not got much more to ad tbh. The art really, really helps. Glad to see the back of Syaf. The slow, consistent, progression towards the X-Cutioner arc is doing well, looks like it'll definitely work to embed the tie-in story with the book itself and it's that kind of foresight that's really appreciated. The XSE badge was a nice touch.

I'm liking just how many traditional villains have been taken down by X-Teams in such a short period of time. That herald guy (?), Brotherhood, Serpent Society for Gold, Juggernaut, Black Tom and Bastion (ish) for Blue, Wrecking Crew for Jean Grey. It's a nice way of defining the era, I think, and making comics seem more substantial in this age of constant decompression (which I'm not wholly opposed to, it's nice having Weapon X tell those kinds of stories whilst everyone else keepts to this shorter arcs).

Letters page was cute too.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Much improved from previous issues. Although, the pacing was still a bit frantic. The three issue arcs along with bimonthly shipping is just a bad idea. It also seems weird to me that with all the Shi'ar tech the X-Men have lying around they were unable to translate green guy's speech, it even looks like the same lettering they use for Shi'ar. Also, although the art was a great improvement from Syaf, it irks me when artists make Logan taller than Storm.