View Poll Results: How do you feel about X-men comics these days, and for the last few years?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing, you love major events, you love what they are doing etc...

15 18.29%
  • you don't like it, and you are hoping for major changes

67 81.71%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

as a "tourist" through the x-books I can honestly say resurrection is a step in the right direction, as directed to Gold. it's got my line-up and its back to basics, which I was praying for! the last page of gold the "history page " convinced me that all the crap was behind them and they are moving on! (its interesting to think if gold is going to revert to uncanny x-men with original numbering, after Marvel Legacy comes out!?)

blue is complete mud in my book not a fan of the "shoe-horning" process TPTB did here. and they triple the blah with Hudson coming in ! and what breaks the camels back? the iceman sexuality issue, can be fixed by saying he's bi. but TPTB won't go that way which why I won't touch iceman or blue. patiently waiting for it to go away!

weapon x is my x-force which is fine by me, and astonishing x-men can't get on my pull list faster! yes I love the over-saturation with OML its what marvel does!

Quote Originally Posted by darkalamator View Post
    Amen to that (plus, I do love your Tardis!)

The blame is in the editiorial team..
    How long have they been in charge for? But yeah, there have been some pretty glaring issues with Resurrexion that should get answered.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    as a "tourist" through the x-books I can honestly say resurrection is a step in the right direction, as directed to Gold. it's got my line-up and its back to basics, which I was praying for! the last page of gold the "history page " convinced me that all the crap was behind them and they are moving on! (its interesting to think if gold is going to revert to uncanny x-men with original numbering, after Marvel Legacy comes out!?)

blue is complete mud in my book not a fan of the "shoe-horning" process TPTB did here. and they triple the blah with Hudson coming in ! and what breaks the camels back? the iceman sexuality issue, can be fixed by saying he's bi. but TPTB won't go that way which why I won't touch iceman or blue. patiently waiting for it to go away!

weapon x is my x-force which is fine by me, and astonishing x-men can't get on my pull list faster! yes I love the over-saturation with OML its what marvel does!
    What shoehorning with regard to Blue are you referencing?

And yes I do believe homophobia is responsible for some lower sales of XMen Blue. People on this board pretend it doesn't exist but it definitely is out there in the wider fandom.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You have no way of knowing that "people who don't like the book just don't post in those threads." Just as you have no way of knowing whether people who like the book don't post in them either.

Judging the success of a book by the amount of message board chatter isn't a great gauge for sales. The latest Batman issue has only four pages of responses. Is that a worrying sign as well?
    Well that goes for your general reception comments too. What I can say is that these books have less chatter around them then their predecessors. And chatter was a good correlation to sales even if the book was bad.

Fantastic Member

What shoehorning with regard to Blue are you referencing? posted by abnormallynormal

they are not the original 5 that started it, they are copycats that marvels is trying to spoon-feed us. I want a book on the seasoned current continuity x-men!(Cyclops, beast, arc-angel, non-gay iceman etc.), I want to further their adventures..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    What shoehorning with regard to Blue are you referencing?

And yes I do believe homophobia is responsible for some lower sales of XMen Blue. People on this board pretend it doesn't exist but it definitely is out there in the wider fandom.
    any evidence?
    homophobia? it probably changed sales by few issues? less than dozen

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    any evidence?
    homophobia? it probably changed sales by few issues? less than dozen
    Honestly it's hard to tell if the people who don't like Bobby drake being gay are homophobic or if they genuinely and honestly don't like the retcon.

Personally my dislike of it is that it was sudden and didn't make sense especially with how recently at the time he was briefly in a relationship with Katherine pryde/kitty pryde.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Honestly it's hard to tell if the people who don't like Bobby drake being gay are homophobic or if they genuinely and honestly don't like the retcon.

Personally my dislike of it is that it was sudden and didn't make sense especially with how recently at the time he was briefly in a relationship with Katherine pryde/kitty pryde.
    but he said that it affect the sales.
    How many people who like Magneto, Cyclops or Jean will ignore this book becausethey don't Iceman?
    Most people will buy book with their favorite hero even if in this book is one character they don't like.

EDIT:
    You are right that this is hard to tell.

but he said that it affect the sales.
    How many people who like Magneto, Cyclops or Jean will ignore this book becausethey don't Iceman?
    Most people will buy book with their favorite hero even if in this book is one character they don't like.

EDIT:
    You are right that this is hard to tell.
    In fairness, there are people who will be biased against the book because it's not adult Jean and adult Cyclops. Also, possible increase to Gold due to reorders because of the Syaf controversy.

While a large volume of the sales are preorders, possible to have a few thousand copies for reorders that shipped the same month.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    In fairness, there are people who will be biased against the book because it's not adult Jean and adult Cyclops. Also, possible increase to Gold due to reorders because of the Syaf controversy.
    true
    and there are a people who will be biased against this book because they need more black/asian characters or homosexual people. right?

do You believe homophobia is responsible for some lower sales of XMen Blue?
    how much?
    10 issues? 100? 1 000 ? 10 000?
    how much more issues Blue sold because there is gay?
    Can You even say that sales are lower or higher because of his sexuality?

true
    and there are a people who will be biased against this book because they need more black/asian characters or homosexual people. right?

do You believe homophobia is responsible for some lower sales of XMen Blue?
    how much?
    10 issues? 100? 1 000 ? 10 000?
    how much more issues Blue sold because there is gay?
    Can You even say that sales are lower or higher because of his sexuality?
    I expect a few sure. Probably wouldn't have been enough to change the rankings. I reckon a large portion of the homophobic Marvel fans probably dislike the time displaced O5, in the first place.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I expect a few sure. Probably wouldn't have been enough to change the rankings. I reckon a large portion of the homophobic Marvel fans probably dislike the time displaced O5, in the first place.
    I think also some and they'll even admit this that they hate how teen cyclops was written post secret wars and how Jean grey and cyclops were both written during bendis's all new X-men run.

And they won't say this but I think that those same readers can't get over those missteps and feel that those missteps have somehow tainted the original five time displaced younger X-men to them they perceive them now as unlikable or that marvel is somehow trying to sell the idea that they're better then the older versions of these characters.

I personally had no problem with the way the younger Jean grey and Scott summers were written both during and after bendis's all new X-men run.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 05-21-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I think also some and they'll even admit this that they hate how teen cyclops was written post secret wars and how Jean grey and cyclops were both written during bendis's all new X-men run.

And they won't say this but I think that those same readers can't get over those missteps and feel that those missteps have somehow tainted the original five time displaced younger X-men to them they perceive them now as unlikable or that marvel is somehow trying to sell the idea that they're better then the older versions of these characters.

I personally had no problem with the way the younger Jean grey and Scott summers were written both during and after bendis's all new X-men run.
    Personally, yes I disliked teen Jean and teen Scott in All-New X-Men #1 so I didn't bother reading the rest of the run. Haven't been reading any X-Men titles since the storylines seemed like a mess with the Inhumans crossover.

However, I do like Cullen Bunn so I would've been willing to try it. My problem was Marvel released too many books at the same time instead of a gradual roll out.

X-Men Blue - iffy on the cast and premise, like the creative team (really like Bunn), double-shipped: $8.98

X-Men Gold - like the cast (more or less), iffy on the premise and creative team, double-shipped: $8.98

Weapon X - ok cast, like the premise, like Greg Pak, dislike Greg Land, double-shipped: $7.98

The pricing was the deciding factor. Nothing was standing out as a must-have so it was just far easier to wait out the titles on Marvel Unlimited to see which ones I enjoy enough to buy in trade.
    Currently Following:

BANNED

Ok.
    Weapon X - ok cast, like the premise, like Greg Pak, dislike Greg Land, double-shipped: $7.98
    Weaponx X won't be double shipped.

Ok.

Weaponx X won't be double shipped.
    The first two issues were. Same for Generation X, Jean Grey and Iceman. Double-shipped first month then monthly.

The cynic in me wonders if these are being double shipped so retailers don't have time to adjust their orders down for #2 if sell through is bad on #1.
    Currently Following: