View Poll Results: How do you feel about X-men comics these days, and for the last few years?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amazing, you love major events, you love what they are doing etc...

15 18.29%
  • you don't like it, and you are hoping for major changes

67 81.71%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Like said by others before, many of the complaints are not applicable anymore.

There will no crossovers for 18 months. There will not start new #1 numbering and ResuruXion has JUST started, so lets give it a change.

I must admit I find the tone negative and think we should not look at the past, but look forward.
    major events. we still will have crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Like said by others before, many of the complaints are not applicable anymore.

There will no crossovers for 18 months. There will not start new #1 numbering and ResuruXion has JUST started, so lets give it a change.

I must admit I find the tone negative and think we should not look at the past, but look forward.
    How are many of the complaints not applicable any more? People don't like the direction Resurrexion is taking, they can complain.

They said there will be no events for 18 months, not crossovers (not hat I necessarily believe the no events). New books probably won't be happening any time soon, but Resurrexion isn't exactly doing well.

People keep looking at the past because this has happened before. Hell, the whole appeal of Resurrexion was to dump nostalgia all over the X-books.

Astonishing Member

So, some want the old X-Men Byrne/Claremont era back, some dont want that old stuff. A lose lose situation for Marvel...

The problem with this poll is I'm both happy they have at least attempted to turn their direction back toward what worked before all this crap with Fox and all these mega events but I'm also disappointed they didn't do more.

I really wish Marvel would do a TRUE reboot. I'm sick and tired of hearing how Marvel is mirroring DC and doing the whole 'rebirth' thing. No! They aren't! If they were we'd have Wolverine back. We'd have Cyclops back in his blue suit. The O5 wouldn't still be in the current timeline...speaking of timelines...to hell with the current 616 timeline. It has sucked for the last 10 years. AFAIC it can all just be flushed. I wish it were. Marvel doesn't have the guts. Marvel does half-assed 'refreshes' and just follows it with more of the same.

At least they are putting Rogue back where she belongs, on an X-Team. I'm thankful for that.

I voted no, but I am worried Marvel will just see all this negativity as the final nail in the X coffin. I wish they would just realize that we wanted MORE out of this so-called 'RessurXion'.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    So, some want the old X-Men Byrne/Claremont era back, some dont want that old stuff. A lose lose situation for Marvel...
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that the silent majority would hemorrhage money to Marvel if they went back to the old Byrne/Claremont era styles. Just because there are some outspoken people on forums saying the opposite doesn't mean squat. Just look at the number trends. Also look at what happened with Trump's election. I realize it's apples to oranges but don't under-estimate the silent majority.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that the silent majority would hemorrhage money to Marvel if they went back to the old Byrne/Claremont era styles. Just because there are some outspoken people on forums saying the opposite doesn't mean squat. Just look at the number trends. Also look at what happened with Trump's election. I realize it's apples to oranges but don't under-estimate the silent majority.
    Technically, Clinton won the popular vote.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Technically, Clinton won the popular vote.
    Not to digress too much, but be that as it was, my point still stands.

-------- Days of Greatness Past --------

Ah, the days when outside influences did not affect the actual comics much.
    If they can get back as close to this then perhaps all is not lost.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

BANNED

Oh god do people make threads for something other than whining nowadays?
    Nearly every idea I've heard in thread are terrible, the ones that aren't is stuff Marvel's already doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TitanMax View Post
    Nearly every idea I've heard in thread are terrible, the ones that aren't is stuff Marvel's already doing.
    Terrible in your opinion?

Eh, I like the discussion. I'm hoping this sort of thing hits the Marvel powers-that-be. Of course they aren't going to specifically pay attention to any one of us but as a whole they'll hopefully take the feedback and churn out better product.

It certainly seems that way some days.

I agree. There are too many X-Men who are too many things to too many people to go back to one 6-8 member team book without alienating huge swaths of their market.

For example, I far prefer the O5 X-Men to the Claremont-era team and would probably just stop reading X-titles completely if the Teen O5 were removed because the adult versions are all either dead or have been butchered beyond all recognition. Even if it had the best writing in the world I'd probably still be skipping X-Men Gold, because I don't give one wet fart about any of the members of the Gold team because I got my start in comics with old school X-Factor off the comic stands at the grocery. The only reason I ever even picked up a book with Storm or Colossus or Wolverine in it was because they split up the X-Factor team when they launched original Blue and Gold teams back in the early 90's. Cable grew on me once they started involving him in Scott and Jean's life, Emma grew on me because of her relationship with Scott, Magik grew on me from being on Scott's team in Uncanny and Laura grew on me because of her time in All-New X-Men, but other than that I really couldn't care less.

That opinion is obviously not one everyone here shares, but some people probably like certain parts of the above and hate other parts with a fiery passion. In other words, its impossible to appeal to every member under the general "X-Men" umbrella with a single book with a single team pursuing a singular direction.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris24601 View Post
    It certainly seems that way some days.

I agree. There are too many X-Men who are too many things to too many people to go back to one 6-8 member team book without alienating huge swaths of their market.

For example, I far prefer the O5 X-Men to the Claremont-era team and would probably just stop reading X-titles completely if the Teen O5 were removed because the adult versions are all either dead or have been butchered beyond all recognition. Even if it had the best writing in the world I'd probably still be skipping X-Men Gold, because I don't give one wet fart about any of the members of the Gold team because I got my start in comics with old school X-Factor off the comic stands at the grocery. The only reason I ever even picked up a book with Storm or Colossus or Wolverine in it was because they split up the X-Factor team when they launched original Blue and Gold teams back in the early 90's. Cable grew on me once they started involving him in Scott and Jean's life, Emma grew on me because of her relationship with Scott, Magik grew on me from being on Scott's team in Uncanny and Laura grew on me because of her time in All-New X-Men, but other than that I really couldn't care less.

That opinion is obviously not one everyone here shares, but some people probably like certain parts of the above and hate other parts with a fiery passion. In other words, its impossible to appeal to every member under the general "X-Men" umbrella with a single book with a single team pursuing a singular direction.
    I think it's dumb to want it all to be one book as well. Like I said earlier for a solo character one book is a good idea but not for a team especially when the whole concept involves the membership of the team to be able to change a lot.

X-Men mythos lends itself to multiple books. Certain types have been established like "X-Factor" (B-list side book with more quirky adventures) "New Mutants/Generation X" (younger recruits learning to use their powers, teenage school type drama , relationships), "X-Force" (brutal militant head crackers of a team, gory violent, more adult themes), "Excalibur" (super cute light hearted team all in love with each other and mostly about soap opera , de emphasis on fights). Then we come to the various adjectives useable for the "Main" X-men book: Uncanny, Astonishing, Extraordinary, Amazing, or even no adjective at all. Any of those adjectives tells you right away that book is going to be the "Mainstream" team doing hero stuff with core members who are well established

So to me they should just retain these "Types" but if they want to create new ones go right on ahead
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    what about Weapon X this is 4th book and we will have Astonishng. 5 books vs 5-6 books? Not terrible especially when You remember than some X-men are in different books (Rogue, Cyclops, Storm Sunspot, Cannonball).

agree with events.
    Weapon X is just that only characters associated with Weapon X and adjacent programs. There aren't any Xmen besides Wolverine and he's already in two other Xbooks. Also the next issue of Weapon X is taking place in the Hulk series.

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Actually, nope, they never said no crossovers. Just no major events. I'll believe that when I see it.

Guessing Blue and Gold will also get legacy renumbering so instead of a new #1, it'll be in the hundreds.
    The phoenix force is coming for Jean Grey and that began in Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I don't. I want a series like one Kyle & Yost wrote were they were on a book for 45(+?) issues. The writers (Except for Bunn) have other projects that they're focused on more than the titles. Gold is lazy writing.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Just to add my 2 cents: I think the problem with the current state of the X-books is not so much their number/iteration/roster, but the fact that they hardly seem to be telling the characters' stories anymore. Nothing feels like it matters anymore - gone are the days of character development, evolving relationships and interactions. Characters go in and out the books with no consequence, and everything is done to service the next creative team/relaunch/event.

I'm not saying there haven't been good X-books or writers lately, but whereas up until the early 2000s I felt like I was reading about the lives of Ororo, Scott, Jean & co, now I feel like I read self-contained arcs by different creative teams, some longer than others, some good and some less good, but always ready to be forgotten in service of whatever comes after.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Deleted, double post.