Incredible Member

Default Ego(Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2) vs Doctor Manhattan

I'm not really sure if this is a good match or not, honestly. I just think that they have some similarities based on their psychology and attitude towards the universe.

Ego wants to assimilate the universe, and he has shards of himself planted on every planet in the solar system. Doctor Manhattan has just gained a new appreciation for life, and does not want this to happen.

R1: Doctor Manhattan is on Earth. Can he traverse the universe to make it to Ego's planet in time and destroy his brain without getting destroyed by Ego?

R2: Doctor Manhattan is on Ego's planet. Same scenario. Is there anything that Ego can actually do to hurt Jon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    I'm not really sure if this is a good match or not, honestly. I just think that they have some similarities based on their psychology and attitude towards the universe.

Ego wants to assimilate the universe, and he has shards of himself planted on every planet in the solar system. Doctor Manhattan has just gained a new appreciation for life, and does not want this to happen.

R1: Doctor Manhattan is on Earth. Can he traverse the universe to make it to Ego's planet in time and destroy his brain without getting destroyed by Ego?

R2: Doctor Manhattan is on Ego's planet. Same scenario. Is there anything that Ego can actually do to hurt Jon?
    I mean, I don't see why Ego can't turn him into a battery in both scenarios. Dr. Manhattan's feats leave a lot to be desired.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Which Dr. Manhattan? Movie or comic?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Which Dr. Manhattan? Movie or comic?
    Is there any meaningful difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Is there any meaningful difference?
    There wasn't, but from the sounds of it, there is now. From what I've lazily picked up, Doc Manhattan seems to be at least partly responsible for creating the DC Rebirth Universe. That's a bit above movie DM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    There wasn't, but from the sounds of it, there is now. From what I've lazily picked up, Doc Manhattan seems to be at least partly responsible for creating the DC Rebirth Universe. That's a bit above movie DM.
    I see. No, I was thinking of movie Doctor Manhattan, but the one from the comic is pretty much exactly the same, so I didn't bother to distinguish the two. I never took DC Rebirth into account, because I don't consider him to be the same guy as in Alan Moore's comic no matter what DC tries to tell us.

Incredible Member

I see. No, I was thinking of movie Doctor Manhattan, but the one from the comic is pretty much exactly the same, so I didn't bother to distinguish the two.
    Or as the good Doctor himself put it, "Structurally, there's no intrinsic difference."

I never took DC Rebirth into account, because I don't consider him to be the same guy as in Alan Moore's comic no matter what DC tries to tell us.
    I just hope he's wearing pants in the Rebirthverse.

Everyone's favorite host Guy Smiley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    I just hope he's wearing pants in the Rebirthverse.
    I kinda hope he doesn't, and DC just keeps using panel breaks and scene layout to conceal his Mini-hattan, (in the same way Liefeld is often accused of not-drawing feet) along with cutaways to various characters interacting with him and looking uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Smiley View Post
    I kinda hope he doesn't, and DC just keeps using panel breaks and scene layout to conceal his Mini-hattan, (in the same way Liefeld is often accused of not-drawing feet) along with cutaways to various characters interacting with him and looking uncomfortable.
    I now have visions of him on a stage, Full-Monty-style, while the DJ blared out Tom Jones singing "You can leave your 'hattan!"