View Poll Results: Which new universe dod you like the most?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marvel's New Universe

5 33.33%
  • DC's Impact

8 53.33%
  • Both equally

2 13.33%

Default Marvel's New Universe vs. DC's Impact

Which of the two new universes did you like the most?

And 'dod' means 'did' for the sake of the poll.
    On my tablet and forgot to scroll up to proofread.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-21-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I went with New Universe. Impact was a fun little retro kids line, New Universe on the other hand was moving the medium forward with questions about code names and costumes. I think if it had come out at the hight of Jim's control at Marvel you would have had stronger creative teams and a much larger impact not unlike Valiant comics. I think Jim understood how lame the frozen in time Marvel 70's really were and was looking to advance the narrative.

Incredible Member

Didn't try either but I think the New Universe had the worst sounding bunch, Kickers Inc? Spitfire And The Troublshooters? Justice?

I, of course, chose 'both equally'.

I think they both had really good potential.

With New Universe, I liked the DP7, which was basically their X-Men/Doom Patrol group.
    And, if you think about it, New Universe was ahead of its time with stuff like DP7 being basically 'Heroes' and 'Misfits', the move away from 'costumes' and more real world setting. But in the mid-80s, costumes were an important factor in superhero comics. We were still years away from the X-Men movie's all black leather 'realism'.

With Impact, I really liked how fresh and new everything felt. And my favorite books were Jaguar, Comet and the first couple issues of Black Hood. I think the hood changed hands too early in the run as the book was still trying to set its tone. And the noticeable art change with Chen taking over on inks on #3 was the deal-breaker for me.
    Surprisingly, the Shield title was drawn by the artist that did my favorite issue of the JSA mini (which, trivia time, was a basically a throwaway project to give the Impact creators something to do before the launch and accidently revived interest in the JSA).
    I loved Grant Miehm's Black Canary, but just couldn't get into Shield.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

DC for sure. I'm into maybe 65-70% of what they're doing. While I'm into maybe 10% of Marvel titles, and that's probably rounding up. Only really interested in Ultimates˛ and Royals. Behind on Silver Surfer, but I enjoyed that quite a bit as well. Wasp is another title that's piqued my interest, but time will tell

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

while I did like quite a bit of the New Universe, specifically Psi-Force, DP 7, Spitfire and Nightmask, I think the Impact! line appealed more to me at the time (and still actually.) I loved Jaguar, the Fly, Comet, the Shield and the eventual Crusaders.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I liked Impact better than New Universe.
    Copy that

In fact impact was the first part of dc mythos I got into on my own rather than my dad's books passed down to me

Loved the fly and jaguar