Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman killing her villains..

Just curious, and I'm asking this as someone who only read the new 52 and rebirth runs, what do you think of Wonder Woman killing some of her villains? I remember that line in justice league where Wonder Woman says she doesn't have a rouges gallery like Batman or Superman's because she gets the job done or something along those lines, so I am wondering if you all feel that's in character or not.

With Wonder Woman being emphasized as such a beacon of hope and compassion lately(well, she has alawys has, but more evident with the movie hype), I just wonder if that characterization on her killing can go along with this.

That characterization was grossly out of character, and even Geoff Johns (who wrote that scene) greatly modified her character over the course of the New 52 Justice League to better resemble the more compassionate and loving pre-New 52 version. I do think Wonder Woman should kill her enemies if that's the only option for her. But her killing Medusa to save the lives of millions isn't the same as her killing the Blue Snowman who extorted money from her town.

Ultimate Member

It depends on how it's done. Do I have a fundamental problem with WW killing her enemies in certain situations, no not really. She's a warrior who was raised in a warrior culture, so it makes sense on that front. And it helps set her apart from Batman and Superman as well.

BUT, the writer must be careful about how it's done and how often. And some writers don't handle that part of it well.

Mighty Member

I don't care and she's always killed but I think killing like cheetah or Dr poison would be a dumb story to tell because other people have to use them.

I personally supported when she killed Max Lord, he deserved it.

But I don't have a problem with Diana killing villians -- but it has to be a last choice, done when there is no way out imo.

I think with her upbringing it would make sense that, if there was no other option, she would resort to lethal force if it was the only way to stop a threat, but I also think with her personality she would be more inclined to try and resolve conflicts peacefully or without killing if she can help it.

Her kill code is one of the things I love about her. If she feels it's necessary she'll relieve your neck of it's burden and not care anything about it.

That sets her apart from the rest of the Trinity, but so does her compassion.

I'd like to see the end of her killing opponents and instead see the rise of Reformation/Transformation Island again - for the adversaries it makes sense to send their instead of Belle Reve or ARGUS (The Circus.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That sets her apart from the rest of the Trinity, but so does her compassion.
    The interesting thing to do is to link those two traits.

BANNED

That comment was just made to cover up her poor rogues gallery, only problem is that if she truly killed then she wouldn't have rogues poor or otherwise. But she does have recurring villains and a good deal of them therefore that statement in Trinity War falls flat.

Incredible Member

Wonder Woman should kill as an absolutely last resort. I don't see a major issue with that.

If all other options have been exhausted and if the lives and wellbeing of innocent third parties are being threatened, then Diana should definitely do whatever it takes to stop the threat. As others have said, I think it's an important point of distinction between Wonder Woman and Batman and Superman (at least in the comic books where Bruce and Clark each still have a strict no-killing policy). Also, the duality of her boundless compassion and her willingness to kill makes for an interesting character.

But killing only when absolutely necessary is very different to a "kill em all" attitude where Diana is seemingly eager to permanently dispatch her enemies. Ultimately, it all comes down to the writing. It's the writing which needs to support any such decision.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

She should be willing to kill those beyond redemption (eg. Joker, Darkseid, Lord, etc).

BANNED

I see it as the trait that sets her apart from Superman and Batman, they are unwilling to take lives regardless of everything and Diana is willing to kill if it is necessary.

However, I dont see it as part of her character that she just randomly butchers her enemies. Take it as situational; normally Diana is will spare her opponents, show mercy and compassion if possible. But she will take their lives if they pose too great a threat to risk leaving alive. Which is probably why the Joker trying to pull a scheme on her similar to the ones he pulls on Batman, where he practically dares Batman to kill him, will end up with him dead.
    The issue with this however is that there are more than a few cases of writers taking it too far and make killing Diana's solution for everything, like in Kingdom Come and Injustice.

Yeah, Joker has become far more brazen as a result of knowing Batman won't kill him. He does things when fighting Batman that, IRL, would be begging to get shot. WW's villains usually don't do that because well, WW sometimes actually does kill people who ask for it.