Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of villains that Diana faces vs what Batman faces. The Supernatural is a lot more prevelent in the corner of the universe Diana inhabits. Batman should have more restraint because he's dealing with mortals 85 percent of the time. Diana on the other hand is dealing with gods, monsters and other entities that exist on a far more dangerous scale and power level. For a large percentage of Diana's rogues even death might not be a permanent solution. Ares and Circe are gods and thus probably have access to several forms of resurrection. Cheetah like wise is powered by supernatural forces and thus can be brought back even if killed. Cyber, Poison and many of the other human villains are legacy villains and thus have characters waiting in the wings to take up the mantle or ways of surviving the death of their physical form in the case of Dr. Cyber. It's interesting out all the main DCU characters Diana is probably the one with the most lenient policy when it comes to killing, but she arguably has the one rogues gallery we're killing would be the least effective.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 05-22-2017 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with the kind of villains that Diana faces vs what Batman faces. The Supernatural is a lot more prevelent in the corner of the universe Diana inhabits. Batman should have more restraint because he's dealing with mortals 85 percent of the time. Diana on the other hand is dealing with gods, monsters and other entities that exist on a far more dangerous scale and power level. For a large percentage of Diana's rogues even death might not be a permanent solution. Ares and Circe are gods and thus probably have access to several forms of resurrection. Cheetah like wise is powered by supernatural forces and thus can be brought back even if killed. Cyber, Poison and many of the other human villains are legacy villains and thus have characters waiting in the wings to take up the mantle or ways of surviving the death of their physical form in the case of Dr. Cyber. It's interesting out all the main DCU characters Diana is probably the one with the most lenient policy when it comes to killing, but she arguably has the one rogues gallery we're killing would be the least effective.

That's a good point, Wonder Woman killed two villains in her first five issues and they both eventually came back.

Ultimate Member

And Maxwell Lord had mental powers so strong that he could force even Superman under his control.

Fantastic Member

I don't remember the line from JL, but when i read it at the time I thought it was a double entendre, and could easily be interpreted that she dispatches them to transformation island and they're cured!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanT View Post
    I don't remember the line from JL, but when i read it at the time I thought it was a double entendre, and could easily be interpreted that she dispatches them to transformation island and they're cured!
    Transformation island did not exist in the new 52 and JL Diana was not written as someone interested in curing her enemies

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Transformation island did not exist in the new 52 and JL Diana was not written as someone interested in curing her enemies
    Isn't Transformation Island a little problematic anyway?

I don't want too talk about myself here, but I do catalogue the occasions in which Wonder Woman homicides people (Well, for the most part, reviewing that hashtag now it seems I have been a bit overzealous). When I finish reading every Wonder Woman comic and side comic I'll create a master list which will be ordered chronologically.

Something interesting to note is that Wonder Woman has killed people consistently since the Golden Age. While reading Bronze Age comics whenever she would off-someone I would always check the 'letters to the editor' too see the reaction and no one seemed to care...Those letters are highly selective though so that might no mean anything, however it does suggest that most people were indifferent to Wonder Woman killing folks.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Isn't Transformation Island a little problematic anyway?
    It is. Which is why I'm glad it's no longer in continuity

It is. Which is why I'm glad it's no longer in continuity
    Why is it problematic? We have jails which are a same thing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Certainly not at that earlier stage, but Johns wrote Diana considerably better later on and I can see her reforming her enemies. The line could take on a double meaning in hindsight even if it was not planned that way initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    In the Golden Age, the Amazons placed Venus Girdles on the prisoners of Reformation Island, which filled them with good thoughts and made them easier to reform. They did this without their consent. It's problematic, but I find it would be interesting to confront the issue than wipe it from continuity. I think some of the older Amazons should have it in place, but younger ones like Diana and Mala would come at it with fresh ideas and realize it doesn't work before phasing it out.

Other than that, Reformation Island is one of the key components of Paradise Island and shouldn't be wiped away.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Heh, no. Not by a long shot. Jails are for vengeance, retribution and punishment....and that's how we like them.
    Transformation Island is more for rehabilitation, but much of it was non-concensual.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Certainly not at that earlier stage, but Johns wrote Diana considerably better later on and I can see her reforming her enemies. The line could take on a double meaning in hindsight even if it was not planned that way initially.

In the Golden Age, the Amazons placed Venus Girdles on the prisoners of Reformation Island, which filled them with good thoughts and made them easier to reform. They did this without their consent. It's problematic, but I find it would be interesting to confront the issue than wipe it from continuity. I think some of the older Amazons should have it in place, but younger ones like Diana and Mala would come at it with fresh ideas and realize it doesn't work before phasing it out.

Other than that, Reformation Island is one of the key components of Paradise Island and shouldn't be wiped away.
    Heh. All they have to do for a modern Transformation Island is treat the inmates like human beings, and that would be a ten fold improvement on the current US system.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Even if you dislike the idea of the mind control, that doesn't mean the whole idea is bunk. An amazon prison where they try to reform criminals makes a lot of sense too me.

It didn't really work though. Especially not on Circe.