Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, you have to speak for youself. I think the main Black Panther book worked more than fine. It sold well and it was critically acclaimed. Some BP fanboys mad at Coates for the way he handles the BP mythology doesn't mean the title had no success at all. And I don't think the spin-offs would've faired all that better even if they were written by more experienced writers. Spin-off books like that are never a guarantee to sell unless you're someone like Spider-Man. I don't believe the most recent CM writer has anything to do with the sales struggle. Carol was ALREADY struggling and with each relaunch, her sales dropped more. I'm sure it would've happened no matter what. But quality wise, I think Stohl's doing fine. As for Mockingbird, like I said, she was nominated for an Eisner twice... it got canceled, there where controversies around it, but it was a critical darling.

If Rowell manages to achieve even one of these things (good reviews, sales, awards nominations, etc) then I consider it a success of some kind.

Unlike some-we read the book and see it for what it is-a book that made BP look incompetent whole showcasing OTHERS at his expense. No one reads that book for the Midnight Angels. They read it for him. Instead they got a book about Midnight Angels.

No one debates Coates's success. A point that I point out as Amazon.com shows his books sales outperform everybody not named Batman. Even Black Panther the Crew a book that will not be out yet until October is killing Cyborg.

What folks want is a book not pandering to certain groups or a stealth book for Misty, Midnight Angels & Storm to star. They want a book built on the foundations of those who came before Coates-who endured hell on Earth for that 11 year run (1998-2011).

Rowell will get the benefit of the doubt but if folks see the crap Coates and the saga known as America Chavez is putting out-don't except any of that.

Looking at her reviews-I think she will be fine.

Mighty Member

Hmm. Anka? Ok, that's win.

The writer I've never heard of. I'll try the book out. Hopes are set really, really low, but I'll try it.

But my first thought when I saw this news, if I'm being honest: "Really, Marvel? Can you not get any experienced comic writers to work for you anymore, is that it?" Because that's what it feels like. There was a time, and it wasn't that long ago, that a launch like this one (beloved property with a loyal if slightly cult fanbase, upcoming multimedia push from the tv series) would have NECESSITATED an A-list writer and artist to have a prayer. And even then, people would be debating if the book would even make it to issue 12 before cancellation. But now Marvel keeps pulling in writers from other media to do these books. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Everybody starts somewhere, and it doesn't mean that you can't be a skilled comic writer. But in today's market, especially as much as Marvel loves to swamp the market with books, a smaller series like this just doesn't get the time for them to let a writer find her footing. There isn't enough money to go around, from consumers.

Hell, books from acclaimed comic writers, books that I, at least, find quite good can't keep themselves afloat (Moon Knight). But this is supposed to take off? I get that Marvel is trying to bring in readers from other venues, to grow the comic market. And perhaps a title like Runaways could even have some success there, as it's not a full on cape book as much as it's a young adult story in a cape world. And sometimes it works, at least in the short term (Coates' Black Panther, which in spite of the feelings of many I've read on this board, I found to be quite good overall). But that's just it, it's short term. The novelty wears off, and people walk away.

Don't get me wrong, I hope this Rainbow Rowell hits a homerun. But, as a huge Runaways fan, this announcement should have me jumping for joy, not grabbing my hard hat and bracing for impact.

Thing is, I doubt Rowell is going to turn off most fans who were inclined to pick up the book already. And a known YA author is going to have more shelf appeal once the show is on the air and the collection is out.

This pattern of bringing in writers established in other markets isn't a matter of accident, it's a strategy. Whether or not it works, well we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I would not be surprised if we get something resembling the New Warriors out there. Though it may be a little too much with the Secret Warriors already existing. Squirrel Girl & Mister Immortal are already on teams too. They could just as easily throw Night Thrasher, Debrii and Speedball into existing series to revitalize their characters.
    Great Lakes Avengers is cancelled and U.S.Avengers is heading the same way (not that double duty is a problem anyway - Logan is on three teams and Ms Marvel on two, there are others). As for Secret Warriors, the original one launched only a month after New Warriors Vol 4 (Initiative) finished. The similar names really aren't an issue. The biggest obstacle is actually that Microbe is dead.

I'm gonna just wait and see. But I'm glad that the writer didn't force a new, pet character in the cast from the go.

No Xavin or Victor is a bummer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Great Lakes Avengers is cancelled and U.S.Avengers is heading the same way (not that double duty is a problem anyway - Logan is on three teams and Ms Marvel on two, there are others). As for Secret Warriors, the original one launched only a month after New Warriors Vol 4 (Initiative) finished. The similar names really aren't an issue. The biggest obstacle is actually that Microbe is dead.
    I wasn't aware it had already been cancelled, though I'm not at all surprised. I'm happy for US Avengers to be cancelled if it means Cannonball and Sunspot back with the X-Men or the New Mutants. Only problem with double duty is it often means inconsistency as the scripts are often written in different times and certain things in continuity don't match up. I don't believe this iteration of the Secret Warriors will last anyway. The only similarity to the original run, which was great btw, is the name and the presence of Quake on the team. If Marvel were to pursue a New Warriors team, I believe it'd be a mistake to mirror the series. If anything I'd rather have an iteration featuring Justice, Firestar, Namorita, Rage, Nova and/or Darkhawk rather than Squirrel Girl, Microbe, Mister Immortal and Debrii

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/34726-runa...-revealed.html
    Runaways #1 is scheduled to debut in September
    Attachment 50123
    Yay! I am really looking forward to this. The original Runaways series was one of the first Marvel books I read, so its great to see it back. I love the fact they are bringing Gert back. I always felt it was a bit wrong to leave her dead for so long. I know little about Rainbow Rowell but she sounds like a good writer, and has an obvious love for the characters. I am a huge fan of Kris Anka (AKA king of abs), so I am glad to see he will be working on the book too.

Random question, but what are the best post-Runaway books to read? I read all of the originals, plus A-Force. I know Alex and Victor appear in PM&IF and Vision. When did Old Lace get back? Wasn't Chase in one of the Avengers title? I feel like a bad fan now...
    Last edited by Valamist; 06-01-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Random question, but what are the best post-Runaway books to read? I read all of the originals, plus A-Force. I know Alex and Victor appear in PM&IF and Vision. When did Old Lance get back? Wasn't Chase in one of the Avengers title? I feel like a bad fan now..
    Old Lace came back in Avengers Academy.

Chase and Nico starred in Avengers Arena and Avengers Undercover.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Yay! I am really looking forward to this. The original Runaways series was one of the first Marvel books I read, so its great to see it back. I love the fact they are bringing Gert back. I always felt it was a bit wrong to leave her dead for so long. I know little about Rainbow Rowell but she sounds like a good writer, and has an obvious love for the characters. I am a huge fan of Kris Anka (AKA king of abs), so I am glad to see he will be working on the book too.

Random question, but what are the best post-Runaway books to read? I read all of the originals, plus A-Force. I know Alex and Victor appear in PM&IF and Vision. When did Old Lace get back? Wasn't Chase in one of the Avengers title? I feel like a bad fan now...
    Also Alex made an appearance in Powerman and Iron fist

As for the cast so far the fact that Klara was left out kinda rubs me the wrong way, I mean Victor and Xavin I can understand but Klara was the character that needed a family the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Old Lace came back in Avengers Academy.

Chase and Nico starred in Avengers Arena and Avengers Undercover.
    Cool, thanks. I will get on that ASAP!

I was never that keen on Klara, but I do hope she is at least mentioned. Xavin too. I have heard some people talk on Twitter that there could be more joining the team, perhaps after the first arc. Though that is probably just wishful thinking...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    Ok. Once again an author with no experience in comics, to handle a beloved franchise. I will read the first issues for Kris Anka, but my hopes are not that high.
    This. I'm picking up the first couple issues and testing the waters. If it's bad, then I'm dropping it. I love the Runaways with an absolute passion, but just like Bryan Hitch's JLA with an all-star cast... you ain't getting my money if you're just having a sock puppet show with my favorite characters.

BANNED

These fluff interviews are worthless...is Alex in this or not?

Swear if this is Patriot all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I wasn't aware it had already been cancelled, though I'm not at all surprised. I'm happy for US Avengers to be cancelled if it means Cannonball and Sunspot back with the X-Men or the New Mutants. Only problem with double duty is it often means inconsistency as the scripts are often written in different times and certain things in continuity don't match up. I don't believe this iteration of the Secret Warriors will last anyway. The only similarity to the original run, which was great btw, is the name and the presence of Quake on the team. If Marvel were to pursue a New Warriors team, I believe it'd be a mistake to mirror the series. If anything I'd rather have an iteration featuring Justice, Firestar, Namorita, Rage, Nova and/or Darkhawk rather than Squirrel Girl, Microbe, Mister Immortal and Debrii
    Yeah, Great Lakes ended at #7.

And it looks like Rage is dead. "and lost a good friend in the fight"

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    These fluff interviews are worthless...is Alex in this or not?

Swear if this is Patriot all over again.
    What do you mean by that. Im decades behind on marvel books. (Maybe just one decade)