Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Batgirl #11 Preview/Discussion

This is silly. He attacked Penguin with a flash mob. Which does seem like a nightmare, LoL.

This doesn't have much to do with this particular arc but is there a chance there will be a new tone for this book soon? I'd like to see Gail Simone tackle Babs now that there should be theoretically far less editorial interference which really bogged her down last time. Either way with a movie having a more serious tone, I wonder if the comics will ever follow. I really miss Babs as more mature and intellectual.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I think this is just fine. I simply don't care about Babs's supporting cast, from Ethan, to Frankie, to Alysia. Dick is probably the strongest member, and he's only shown up twice.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

This book is becoming so silly and tween-y.

Though I don't think that's an inherently wrong direction for a Batgirl book, but I also don't think it should be the style of the main, in-continuity, Batgirl book starring a Barbara Gordon who's supposed to be an experienced adult at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This book is becoming so silly and tween-y.

Though I don't think that's an inherently wrong direction for a Batgirl book, but I also don't think it should be the style of the main, in-continuity, Batgirl book starring a Barbara Gordon who's supposed to be an experienced adult at this point.
    I still wish DC had the guts to make a DC Super Hero Girls Batgirl book with this kind of creative talent so it would be respected, and give us a Batgirl book like Steph, Cass, or Batgirl Year One - fun, but not flimsy.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    This doesn't have much to do with this particular arc but is there a chance there will be a new tone for this book soon? I'd like to see Gail Simone tackle Babs now that there should be theoretically far less editorial interference which really bogged her down last time. Either way with a movie having a more serious tone, I wonder if the comics will ever follow. I really miss Babs as more mature and intellectual.
    I miss her too... In august solicitation the batgirl costume is not purple but... Dreams are dreams... I doubt that things will change in a few months...

Is burnside batgirl costume...

Y'know, for all the complaints I have about Burnside, the costume really isn't one of them. Maybe because the art team was much stronger than Simone's pool.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I still wish DC had the guts to make a DC Super Hero Girls Batgirl book with this kind of creative talent so it would be respected, and give us a Batgirl book like Steph, Cass, or Batgirl Year One - fun, but not flimsy.
    Or at least an all-ages Batgirl book, like Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade or a Batgirl Adventures book.

I would expect a DC Super Hero Girls Batgirl book to have to be more in-line with that series and universe, like the graphic novels or digital comics, so it would probably be better if that kind of book had more creative freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Y'know, for all the complaints I have about Burnside, the costume really isn't one of them. Maybe because the art team was much stronger than Simone's pool.
    I've always seen the Burnside look as synonymous with this direction, which is part of the problem I still have with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or at least an all-ages Batgirl book, like Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade or a Batgirl Adventures book.

I would expect a DC Super Hero Girls Batgirl book to have to be more in-line with that series and universe, like the graphic novels or digital comics, so it would probably be better if that kind of book had more creative freedom.

I've always seen the Burnside look as synonymous with this direction, which is part of the problem I still have with it.
    I would LOVE a Batgirl: Hacking Adventures in the Cyber-8th Grade or something!

Fair enough with the associations, but I think that the art was not really the problem of the Burnside book - it was the attitude of the creative team. Which has some expression in their art, but the art was much more polished than the writing, so I think the costume is fine.

Always Rakzo

Good Lord, I know that I said I wasn't expecting much after the predictable reveal of the son of the Penguin being *gasp* EVIL but Hope Larson has exceeded my expectations about how underwhelming things can actually be with the execution of this one.

For one, Larson has been trying to inject social commentary during this run in the clumsiest way possible that contains as much depth as a tweet but here is even worse since she suddenly has the need to defend Millenials by showing how lazy the Penguin is since he won't even tie his own tie... and all of that is supposedly related for reasons that escape mere mortals. Also, now that Ethan has been shown to be *gasp* EVIL he's portrayed as a complete manchild douchebag who is afraid of his sexual abilities because of course he is.

Not to mention that at the end the Penguin cares about his son now that he's scarred and ugly just like daddy. I suppose the intention was to make the connection between the two but it just comes out of nowhere and for that reason it ends-up being poorly delivered.

Wildgoose's artwork is the saving grace here and I wish he was working on a better book. This title is pure garbage people.

Wow, harsh. I don't think it's a trash book, but it's definitely not much above average.

Mighty Member

This entire penguin son plotline has been so bad, predictable, and a waste of time. Just urgh. It makes me laugh that they want Nightwing fans to check out the issue he's going to be in. I know its to boost sales, but man why would I want to check out a book thats so different and imo so average if this is what they put out?

Shaky start to the arc but i think it had a strong finish.

My lord the art is still the best batgirl art since 2011. It's clean and fresh. i would love to see the colorists do different takes with it just out of pure curiousity.

I like this comic. I do. Its far from garbage, lol. I get its not for everyone, not mature enough for some's liking, but i enjoyed this. Its lighthearted and silly fun.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-24-2017 at 10:48 AM.