Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member

Default wonder woman #23 spoilers

Hands down this is the best Wonder Woman comic book I've read in my entire life. The wrap-up was genius. Although this is a spoiler thread I really have no desire to do so. too much joy to be had. one spoiler though was the demonstration of what Loving submission actually looks like was presented and it brought tears to my eyes.
    Last edited by gbshabo; 05-24-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So this was a good arc I do wonder if they made Veronica too sympathetic though, like what is her purpose now? She knows her daughter is safe, she has no reason to keep making deals and being evil.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So this was a good arc I do wonder if they made Veronica too sympathetic though, like what is her purpose now? She knows her daughter is safe, she has no reason to keep making deals and being evil.
    Just like Paula Von Gunther

Always Rakzo

Well, this chapter offered more content compared to the last one from this same arc at the very least.

I have conflicted thoughts about the content itself though. For one, Rucka tries to give Ares more depth than in the first time he wrote him during this run and also brings an interesting and fitting way for Diana to deal with his children.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the Ares who appears here is still not that interesting, especially compared to the more complex version from Azzarello's run and I can't help but feel like Rucka is just retconning the first time he used him after the poor reception. Also, the way how Diana handles Phobos and Deimos, while fitting, it still seems kinda underwhelming.

Same opinion about Sharp's work. Sometimes it looks really good but at other times suffers from poor anatomy for the characters.

And I guess that perfectly summarizes this run as a whole: Mixed thoughts.

WOW. Just WOW. Blown away...and still questions. Like can Diana ever get home?

And how long before Izzy officially replaces Cassie as Wonder Girl?
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

I know there is an epilogue coming and stuff, bit I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed and befuddled. So was that not Aries she fought in the Year One? Another illusion, right? Also for those thinking that this run will make an excellent run to build off, its implied Wonder Woman is more or less permanently separated from the Amazons now.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I loved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm sure Cale still hates Diana. The Amazons get to be Izzy's mother now, which she'll undoubtedly blame her for. I was a bit surprised Cale didn't volunteer to stay with her on Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    WOW. Just WOW. Blown away...and still questions. Like can Diana ever get home?
    I don't think Diana will ever be able to get home, honestly. The interaction between her and Hippolyta through the portal seemed to imply such.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I know there is an epilogue coming and stuff, bit I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed and befuddled. So was that not Aries she fought in the Year One? Another illusion, right?
    Ares explained that, as we predicted, it was Deimos and Phobos masquerading as Ares in Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't think Diana will ever be able to get home, honestly. The interaction between her and Hippolyta through the portal seemed to imply such.
    WOW. So the new status quo is Diana left Themyscira, has never returned, and can never return. A Wonder Woman without a home...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm sure Cale still hates Diana. The Amazons get to be Izzy's mother now, which she'll undoubtedly blame her for. I was a bit surprised Cale didn't volunteer to stay with her on Themyscira.
    I think Cale would go utterly mad on Themyscria. It would just be too much of a culture clash. But the fact that she didn't do it, didn't try it, didn't even voice that willingness to actually give everything up for her daughter, could be something that eats at her. Lashing outward due to that guilt could be one way to keep her as an antagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    the Ares who appears here is still not that interesting, especially compared to the more complex version from Azzarello's run and I can't help but feel like Rucka is just retconning the first time he used him after the poor reception. Also, the way how Diana handles Phobos and Deimos, while fitting, it still seems kinda underwhelming.
    Hm. I disagree. I thought this Ares was complex, in that he grateful to be locked away because he realizes his error, and what is at stake.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    ON THE OTHER HAND, the Ares who appears here is still not that interesting, especially compared to the more complex version from Azzarello's run and I can't help but feel like Rucka is just retconning the first time he used him after the poor reception. Also, the way how Diana handles Phobos and Deimos, while fitting, it still seems kinda underwhelming.
    Rucka's not retconning anything. It was clear that that wasn't the real Ares as early as the first chapter of "Godwatch."

I haven't made it thru the issue yet.

I don't think that was Ares in 14. I think it was a composite of his twin sons. I think Ares is trapped on Themyscira.

We knew Ares in Year One was Phobos/Deimos back in issue 16. Not sure where ya'll have been.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    Hands down this is the best Wonder Woman comic book I've read in my entire life. The wrap-up was genius. Although this is a spoiler thread I really have no desire to do so. too much joy to be had. one spoiler though was the demonstration of what Loving submission actually looks like was presented and it brought tears to my eyes.
    Pretty damn good! I won't agree that this was the best WW story I've ever read, but it was certainly the most satisfying wrap up of the last five years I could have hoped for

Finally the Azarellazons are laid in their collective grave, along with Ares the tutor, and we move forward [and a little sideways LOL].

Diana's final confrontation here was pretty much what I would expect from WW. Also nice the way we reveal why "Ares" was defeated so easily in the first encounter, and the appearance of Phobos and Deimos in that panel makes perfect sense.

Edit - regarding the Azarellazons, I think it DOES, possibly, leave the door open for stories with them in the future. In as much that they do not simply seem to be illusions but mystical constructs of some sort, it not impossible that a clever writer could have them taking on a life of their own far beyond what Diana's patrons intended.

Amazons Attack 2? Could happen - how would these pretty savage women react to discovering they are just puppets dancing for the benefit of their supposed Princess. And OH the irony - after mocking Diana for years because she was nothing but "clay", they learn that it is actually THEY that are the constructs.

In that regard, the story practically writes itself!
    Last edited by brettc1; 05-26-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor