Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default wonder woman #23 spoilers

Hands down this is the best Wonder Woman comic book I've read in my entire life. The wrap-up was genius. Although this is a spoiler thread I really have no desire to do so. too much joy to be had. one spoiler though was the demonstration of what Loving submission actually looks like was presented and it brought tears to my eyes.
    Last edited by gbshabo; 05-24-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So this was a good arc I do wonder if they made Veronica too sympathetic though, like what is her purpose now? She knows her daughter is safe, she has no reason to keep making deals and being evil.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So this was a good arc I do wonder if they made Veronica too sympathetic though, like what is her purpose now? She knows her daughter is safe, she has no reason to keep making deals and being evil.
    Just like Paula Von Gunther

Always Rakzo

Well, this chapter offered more content compared to the last one from this same arc at the very least.

I have conflicted thoughts about the content itself though. For one, Rucka tries to give Ares more depth than in the first time he wrote him during this run and also brings an interesting and fitting way for Diana to deal with his children.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the Ares who appears here is still not that interesting, especially compared to the more complex version from Azzarello's run and I can't help but feel like Rucka is just retconning the first time he used him after the poor reception. Also, the way how Diana handles Phobos and Deimos, while fitting, it still seems kinda underwhelming.

Same opinion about Sharp's work. Sometimes it looks really good but at other times suffers from poor anatomy for the characters.

And I guess that perfectly summarizes this run as a whole: Mixed thoughts.

WOW. Just WOW. Blown away...and still questions. Like can Diana ever get home?

And how long before Izzy officially replaces Cassie as Wonder Girl?
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

I know there is an epilogue coming and stuff, bit I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed and befuddled. So was that not Aries she fought in the Year One? Another illusion, right? Also for those thinking that this run will make an excellent run to build off, its implied Wonder Woman is more or less permanently separated from the Amazons now.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I loved the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm sure Cale still hates Diana. The Amazons get to be Izzy's mother now, which she'll undoubtedly blame her for. I was a bit surprised Cale didn't volunteer to stay with her on Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    WOW. Just WOW. Blown away...and still questions. Like can Diana ever get home?
    I don't think Diana will ever be able to get home, honestly. The interaction between her and Hippolyta through the portal seemed to imply such.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I know there is an epilogue coming and stuff, bit I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed and befuddled. So was that not Aries she fought in the Year One? Another illusion, right?
    Ares explained that, as we predicted, it was Deimos and Phobos masquerading as Ares in Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    the Ares who appears here is still not that interesting, especially compared to the more complex version from Azzarello's run and I can't help but feel like Rucka is just retconning the first time he used him after the poor reception. Also, the way how Diana handles Phobos and Deimos, while fitting, it still seems kinda underwhelming.
    Hm. I disagree. I thought this Ares was complex, in that he grateful to be locked away because he realizes his error, and what is at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't think Diana will ever be able to get home, honestly. The interaction between her and Hippolyta through the portal seemed to imply such.
    WOW. So the new status quo is Diana left Themyscira, has never returned, and can never return. A Wonder Woman without a home...

A Wonder Woman without a home...
    Does she need one?

BANNED

Well, going into this issue my expectations weren't high, and the result was rather fitting of those.

Status of Ares: Quite frankly I am disappointed with this version, Rucka has effectively neutered him as an antagonist for Diana unless someone drags him out of the three.

Status of the Cales: Well, I did think this was what would happen one way or another. Villainy resumes.

Status of the Amazons: Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to be honest.

Status of Diana: Well thats a retcon waiting to happen. Also I think it's kinda bs with the fake Themyscira being an acceptable solution to this.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Does she need one?
    No...but up till now she/we thought she had one.

WOW. So the new status quo is Diana left Themyscira, has never returned, and can never return. A Wonder Woman without a home...
    Some of the best Wonder Woman writers - Perez, Potter, Loebs, Byrne, Rucka and Azzarello - have tried, mostly in vain, to put Paradise in the rearview, long enough to connect Diana more fully to the mortal world. Mr. Rucka said he wanted to make Paradise Island, a special place, again; this run accomplished that, well enough. Wonder Woman has a new, partially human family, here in Man's World; she has made formidable enemies, here, also, and all that happened, without Paradise Island being the center of it all. Hopefully, WW's future writers will find a comfortable balance for Paradise's presence in the comic and avoid making Themyscira the center of the Wonderverse, again, ..with every other story starting or ending on That Blamed Island.

Wonder Woman should be the center of the Wonderverse; not Paradise Island. When someone, who loves Wonder Woman as much as Greg Rucka, has grown tired of everything revolving around Paradise Island, that should tell us that something has gone terribly wrong.

I continue to believe that Wonder Woman needs two comics, with the Wonder Woman comic primarily showcasing (as it was created to do) her adventures in Man's World, ..and a second comic, Sensational World of Wonder Woman (?), almost entirely focused on her life with the Amazons and myth-inspired, dark fantasy stories. Maybe, we'll get it, if the movie's successful enough.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

So my question is..whose played with her memories?

Since this issue didn't really touch upon the source, very likely now it is intended to be attributed to Dr. Manhattan, and that's just an element Rucka had no intention of exploring rather simply setting up for the larger Rebirth narrative as told by others.

Its only a matter of time before Diana will be able to return to Paradise Island again. But in the meantime, I think its an interesting idea to play with that she's never returned yet, and at least for now believes she never can.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El