Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default I really feel like Marvel is fake progressive

All of their new young characters of color are written by white people: Ms.Marvel, Miles Morales, and Riri.

I know Sana Amanat helped with the creation of Ms Marvel but shes not the writer.

And i really want to puke every time i see them try to be hip in their solicits. The yaaas in that Ms.Marvel solicit or royalty in my DNA in the recent Black Panther one.

No, i dont think all non white characters should be written by non white people but when a company that has recently used been pushing them for promo and to show that theyre trying to do better, you cant find any young writers to take a shot?
    Last edited by Armageddon; 05-24-2017 at 07:12 PM.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

If you're a young writer and you have more options, why work for Marvel or DC? That's probably one reason why the characters might be getting more diverse but behind the scenes is a different story.

Invincible Member

Marvel and DC have been doing better lately as far as hiring diverse creators, but if you're suggesting that they hire teens to write teen heroes I'm not sure how likely that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Marvel and DC have been doing better lately as far as hiring diverse creators, but if you're suggesting that they hire teens to write teen heroes I'm not sure how likely that will be.
    I think behind the scenes representation is important, perhaps more so than the fictional characters.

Rocket should be written by a raccoon. XD
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post

They can go younger than Bendis
    I didnt know unless i made myself crystal clear ppl would go for hyperbolic equivalents

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    I think behind the scenes representation is important, perhaps more so than the fictional characters.

I agree with this statement. While diversity of representation in media matters because it's what people see, it would naturally follow from diversity of authorship if we had more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Rocket should be written by a raccoon. XD
    I just pre-ordered ten copies.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

I think it is very possible that this sentiment exists for two reasons:

1. In so many ways, the Marvel U is stagnant and never changing. Franchise characters are, in general, kept very near to their status quo with some variations that are eventually reverted back to standard. The sense of natural forward progression has been dead for years, so legacy characters taking up the mantel has the potential to come off as a gimmick, because almost every other significant change to the characters IS a gimmick, even if the stories that come out of it are good or great.

2. Kind of playing into the first point, these changes all came at once. Seriously, it all hit in a five year span or so. Which again enforces the idea that this is all a gimmick to attract new readers, and Marvel doesn't actually care about this issue beyond their bottom line.

Personally, I kind of buy into this idea, but I do think that in some cases the opportunity was worth it to get these new characters and stories told. Ms Marvel is the prime example. Gimmick or not, the success of that title speaks for itself. So regardless of the underlying motivation, it is a step in the right direction. The true test of whether or not Marvel's new found diversity is a gimmick or not will be told in the next five to ten years and whether or not these characters are still around and important or if they have cast aside for the traditional versions of the characters. It would also go a long way in proving their intentions if some of these characters started showing up in the MCU, because then they are putting their money where their mouth is. If Riri Williams dons the Iron Man suit in Iron Man 4 and transitions into the lead role, then you know they are serious about this.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    They can go younger than Bendis
    I didnt know unless i made myself crystal clear ppl would go for hyperbolic equivalents
    They can go younger than Bendis, but who has made a graphic novel better than Jinx or Torso?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Is it any worse than those upcoming "diverse" DC books by a bunch of Brooklyn-born Italian dudes? The one with the two minorities excluded, of course.

Miles Morales and Riri Williams were both created by a white dude (the same white dude, even). Should he not be allowed to write those characters after creating them? Should he not be allowed to create any characters who aren't white dudes? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Miles Morales and Riri Williams were both created by a white dude (the same white dude, even). Should he not be allowed to write those characters after creating them? Should he not be allowed to create any characters who aren't white dudes? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Theyre company owned characters. Should no else be allowed to write those characters except for him?

And im not ecstatic just because Marvel is creating more characters of color, id be more impressed if they had creators of color working behind the scenes.

Im not shitting on Bendis, im shitting on Marvel.
    Last edited by Armageddon; 05-25-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Is all corporatism, a company will do whatever they think is fit to sell more.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I just want to read good stories with good art in books that appeal to me and keeps me coming back for more, period. I don't particularly give a damn about the race, age, or gender of the people who provide those stories.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I just want to read good stories with good art in books that appeal to me and keeps me coming back for more, period. I don't particularly give a damn about the race, or gender of the people who provide those stories.
    LOL! Then why post in this thread thats the exact opposite of that sentiment?

You do care...youre just tired of hearing about it

*plugs fingers in ears

I dont care i dont care i dont care