Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default CBR Cover Contest - Rich Buckler Covers May 24th to 30th

On May 19th, artist Rich Buckler passed away after a long illness at the age of 68. To quote from Marvel's website , "In 1974, the artist found himself on a dream of a series, FANTASTIC FOUR. For more than two years he worked on stories and covers that included such characters as Annihilus, Darkoth, Doctor Doom, Namor, the Inhumans, and of course, the famous foursome of heroes themselves. That same year, he collaborated with writer Don McGregor on the legendary Black Panther story-arc in JUNGLE ACTION, as well as creating the infamous future cyborg Deathlok along with writer Doug Moench in the pages of ASTONISHING TALES. Deathlok proved to be a point of fascination with readers for many years to come, leading to multiple interpretations of the character and his eventual appearance on film in the “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” TV series"

Here's an example of his work on the Fantastic Four to start things off.... and hey, no Doctor Doom on the cover...but it does take place in Latveria! He worked many years for the big two so there's a lot to choose from. So let's pay tribute to his work and find your favorites!

Rules :

Post One (& ONLY ONE) Cover that fits the theme of this Week's Contest!
    Cover must be from a Published Comic Book or Collected Volume!
    Covers must be Posted before Voting Begins!
    Voting Begins 12 AM Tuesday and Runs Until 12 AM Wednesday PST (3 AM EST)!
    Vote by Posting the name in BOLD of the Poster whose cover best fits the theme or that you simply like the most! A vote need not be in bold, but it does make it easier to Count-The-Votes!
    The Winner of the Contest is the Entry with the MOST Votes after the Voting-Period!
    It's Okay to Discuss the Covers but if you Think Someone's Entry Doesn't Fit the Theme or Violates the Rules, you Don't need to Argue it in the thread, Simply Don't Vote for It!

Plus:
    Occasionally Voting will Result in a Tie! The Person Who Started the Thread and Thus will do the Counting that Week will Usually call for a TIE-Breaking Vote from Someone who has Not Yet Voted!
    AFTER the Tie-Breaker Vote, Voting Ends and the Winner is Declared by The One Who Started the Thread (or assigned surrogate) and Thus will do the Counting![/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-25-2017 at 12:13 AM.

BANNED

This cover rocked my world when I was a kid:

Last edited by nx01a; 05-25-2017 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This might have been one of Mr. Buckler's last pieces of work. If so, it was a damn good one!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

You're walking along quietly
    There's the sound of running feet
    You turn around the corner
    There's fighting on the street

I love the frenetic energy of this cover:

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Nice Honoring Theme to Mr. Buckler Iron Maiden.

When I Started to Put Together My ULTIMATE Scarlet Witch Collection a Few Years ago, This Cover by Mr. Buckler always Stood-Out to Me and Symbolized so much the Early Days of the Love between Wanda & Vision!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Great contest, IM!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Loved his work on "Panther's Rage"

True story; when I read this, it was the first time I saw inker Klaus Janson's name. I was sure it was fake, I mean come on, "Klaws" Janson inking Jungle Action?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

Great contest, IM!

Thank you. I'm glad to see a lot of people have jumped right on it with a variety of entries!

Fantastic Member Chicken Pocket's Avatar

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shalla Bal View Post
    Deathlok was one of my favorite series from the 70's, so I'm glad Luther was represented in this week's contest! Thanks, Shalla Bal!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!