Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Boy and men in Wonder Woman.

I don't mind but how should the origin of Wonder Boy if we ever were to have one. To be honest unlike the many of the heroes Diana should never have a child fight with her in crime. How about his outfits and weapon? IF the lasso should be unique for Diana what should be his weapon? One thing I also don't want he shouldn't be a sidekick be a trainnee to be a hero. In a sense more sideicks branch on thier own but Diana should be prepping him. Once he is done what should be his Hero name?

Also, do you guys feel uncomfortable with what many think there tend to be more female characters in Wonder Woman?I mean when you think about the same can be said about male heroes comics at times there are more male characters.

Honestly don't think we'll ever see a Wonder Boy and not even sure he'd work, myself.

Let's face it...the comic industry is still very sexist. On one hand, it's likely that there are writers, who just can't see any male superhero being inspired or mentored by a woman, while having virtually no problems with Batgirl, Hawkgirl and Power Girl. In their eyes, he would be a joke. On the other hand, it's also likely that some writers fear a male lieutenant or 'brother' hero of Wonder Woman's - one with similar powers to hers - is doomed to overshadow and diminish her. Somewhere between those two possibilities is Champion, Warkiller and characters like them, who will likely never see print.

I'd love to see some writer just scratch out a simple 'Wonder Boy', like the one in my avatar - powers, WW-insignia costume, his own lasso and armbands, etc - and drop him into the story just to see what happened. Give the idea a chance. If it's awful, let us fans reject him, ..but, hell...at least, put him on the menu. Let's try him on, see if he fits...kick the bloody tires. Give it a chance.

Still holding out for a writer, who actually likes WW's fans - someone like George, Phil or Gail - returning and bringing Diana's immortal cousin, King Hippolytus, into the comic. He's the ruler of an enchanted forest, which would just become one more exotic locale for Diana to visit, ..and he's actually a sort of protective spirit of all woodlands - built-in environmentalist theme, there. He's got a magic sword. He's already been mentioned by Phil, during his run, AND he's actually a historically mythological figure; so, he's already out there, in Greek myth and in the WW comic mythos, ..but never been included.

His Latin name, which he assumes after Artemis grants him immortality, is Virbius Rex Nemorensis. Some folklore tell that Virbius Rex is the huntress goddess's favorite companion - the favorite companion of the Amazons' favorite goddess is essentially ..Wonder Woman's cool male cousin! So-ooo...where is he?

No, Mizzy. Don't bother looking for Wonder Boy. It'll probably never happen.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-18-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I could see them going the Steven Universe route. A young boy raised/trained by strong powerful women.

For his signature weapon I wanna say some kind of enchanted sword a la King Arthur, but a sword would be kind of generic.

As for his name, I think Boy Wonder sounds good. They could insert a few jokes about how he stole a part of Robin's moniker.

DC Comics really should give this idea a chance. Hell...they could bring back the Golden Age Wonder Boy, last son of the planet Viro, and do a team-up. It's a really crappy policy that only the male DC Comics heroes get opposite sex spin-offs. It's across the board, though.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

BANNED

I'd have no problem with Wonder Woman getting a male sidekick/partner, but I wouldn't want them called Wonder Boy. For whatever reason, unlike Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl, it just sounds silly to me.

However, I don't want ANY new additions to the Wonder Family until Cassie has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by unclepulky View Post
    I'd have no problem with Wonder Woman getting a male sidekick/partner, but I wouldn't want them called Wonder Boy. For whatever reason, unlike Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl, it just sounds silly to me.

However, I don't want ANY new additions to the Wonder Family until Cassie has returned.
    1+

Hell, I'd rather get a new Wonder Girl (and I tell you, it would be difficult to me to swallow) rather than getting WG to be replaced by a boy. Overall awful message.

He can be, I don't know, Kid Hercules or whatever.

Astonishing Member

Hmm...I've always wondered about that and even presented that topic over at Marvel's side regarding the generation series coming out. How so many male original heroes had female legacy characters but rarely ever the reverse. Usually it's male to female or female to female.

With that said, I don't see too many people wanting to see it to begin with and it may have to do with social dynamics. If you think about it, we all know the ladies who can dive into a group of men and fit in like one of the guys. She can range from complete tomboy to just relating to men more easily than women. So you'll see this group of guys with a few ladies peppered in.

You rarely see the opposite. How often do you see a group of 4-5 girls and one guy that's not one of the girls boyfriend? Not too often. So even in real life, when it comes to women, it's usually very one sided. And that's another reason why I don't see wonder boy working.

You have the first issue on how can a man "possibly" be influenced by a woman, as if that can't possibly happen.

Then you have the second issue of that women specific categories usually don't take to kindly to guys joining in. Just think about the strange looks those one or two guys get in an almost all woman dance class at your gym lol.

Wait a minute, I am personally ~meh~ about a Wonder Boy/Wonder Man, I don't consider it a problem that female legacies go to their female heirs, you could say that Batman has Batgirl, but Bruce's heirs is essentially the Robin mantle (And I'd argue Cass is the only Batgirl who Bruce would call a heir as well), Superman has Supergirl, but Kon was created to replace Superman. Also, I'm a fan of female-only teams, that's what I like, I'm a girl and I like seeing girls fighting side-by-side with other girls. Hell, my favorite organization in DC would be the Birds of Prey, because the support male characters weren't as important as Oracle's main agents.

And Diana's WG's aren't that close to her on the first place after all these years.

That being said, I don't think there would be any problems portraying a little boy idolizing WW, like on that scene where a girl says 'I think you're super pretty!' and the boy is 'Who cares? She's tough'. There is nothing wrong with a boy that likes 'girls' stuff (because...things are things, they shouldn't have gender, especially on this era), but it's not necessary for him to idolize Diana. I'm mostly meh because imo one of the great things of WW is her closeness with female characters, I'd even say that Steve not being her love interest in post-crisis was benefitial to her imo.

Also, the Wonder Boy name sounds kinda lame. He can be....literally anything else, if written well, I might even like him and defend him (especially if it's a young kid, I don't hate kids, even if they are fictional). I just don't want him to take the spot of what the WG's should have in the comics, spot that they don't have.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Wait a minute, I am personally ~meh~ about a Wonder Boy/Wonder Man, I don't consider it a problem that female legacies go to their female heirs, you could say that Batman has Batgirl, but Bruce's heirs is essentially the Robin mantle (And I'd argue Cass is the only Batgirl who Bruce would call a heir as well), Superman has Supergirl, but Kon was created to replace Superman. Also, I'm a fan of female-only teams, that's what I like, I'm a girl and I like seeing girls fighting side-by-side with other girls. Hell, my favorite organization in DC would be the Birds of Prey, because the support male characters weren't as important as Oracle's main agents.

And Diana's WG's aren't that close to her on the first place after all these years.

That being said, I don't think there would be any problems portraying a little boy idolizing WW, like on that scene where a girl says 'I think you're super pretty!' and the boy is 'Who cares? She's tough'. There is nothing wrong with a boy that likes 'girls' stuff (because...things are things, they shouldn't have gender, especially on this era), but it's not necessary for him to idolize Diana. I'm mostly meh because imo one of the great things of WW is her closeness with female characters, I'd even say that Steve not being her love interest in post-crisis was benefitial to her imo.

Also, the Wonder Boy name sounds kinda lame. He can be....literally anything else, if written well, I might even like him and defend him (especially if it's a young kid, I don't hate kids, even if they are fictional). I just don't want him to take the spot of what the WG's should have in the comics, spot that they don't have.

LMAO, you essentially confirmed my point. That's why I said I don't see wonder boy being successful. Wonder Women's essence is essentially her connection with female characters. Having a male side kick would be as if someone was impeding, which would cause conflict. It would be much easier for someone like Captain Marvel or Storm to have a male legacy character.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    You rarely see the opposite. How often do you see a group of 4-5 girls and one guy that's not one of the girls boyfriend? Not too often. So even in real life, when it comes to women, it's usually very one sided. And that's another reason why I don't see wonder boy working.
    Actually, that sounds a lot like my experience at college .

I said this in another thread somewhere, I came up with a prince from some foreign country, maybe Count Vertigo's home, who wants Wonder Woman to train him so he can protect his people. Alternativly he could be an unknown son of Hercules who ironically despises his father and just battles with a sword and shield until a friend of Wonder Woman gives a different attire.

Also can't help but post this lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Actually, that sounds a lot like my experience at college .
    Most of my elementary school experience was befriending boys. But I guess it's easier for girls to fit in a group of men as leo619 said. All experiences are different

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    LMAO, you essentially confirmed my point. That's why I said I don't see wonder boy being successful. Wonder Women's essence is essentially her connection with female characters. Having a male side kick would be as if someone was impeding, which would cause conflict. It would be much easier for someone like Captain Marvel or Storm to have a male legacy character.
    Captain Marvel will never have a legacy as cool as Kamala!

I guess I'd be alright with a supporting character that occassionally shows up, if he's there and is likeable, I might warm up to the idea. Maybe a Demigod, but not one of the old ones, I'd like a son of Poseidon that occassionally joins Diana and has banter with Wonder Girl.

My whole point is that my ideal WB would be Percy Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Captain Marvel will never have a legacy as cool as Kamala!

I guess I'd be alright with a supporting character that occassionally shows up, if he's there and is likeable, I might warm up to the idea. Maybe a Demigod, but not one of the old ones, I'd like a son of Poseidon that occassionally joins Diana and has banter with Wonder Girl.

My whole point is that my ideal WB would be Percy Jackson.
    I think I remember some Wonder Girl stories, back when Wonder Girl was meant to be just a younger Diana, where she had all these multiple suitors and one of them was a merman.

I always liked to see that extended to Donna as Wonder Girl because I kind of like the idea of multiple suitors fawning over Donna because she's awesome .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think I remember some Wonder Girl stories, back when Wonder Girl was meant to be just a younger Diana, where she had all these multiple suitors and one of them was a merman.

I always liked to see that extended to Donna as Wonder Girl because I kind of like the idea of multiple suitors fawning over Donna because she's awesome .
    Oh yeah! Mer-boy, I haven't read much Silver Age Wondy, but I did read those issues because I had to document Donna's origins (quite exhausting, frankly) . Maybe Mer-Boy can be a supporting character.

To be honest I always thought Steve filled out for Wonder Man. TO be honest, Diana goal is to being is to being equality instead of a male sidekick why not more of Diana having a more supporting cast of diver backgrounds. I mean due to the fact Donna and Cassie haven't bee treated well.Not only that but Diana still doesn't get treated well at times to make male characters look good. How many times has Cheetahs has been beaten by people who she would kill or Batman beating Circe. Who has never trained in Magic? I mean in a weird way despite Diana's and the Amazon's strong strength and peaceful ways, Diana and the Amazons in ways learns also from the man's. So in a way she doesn't need a male sidekick but rather inspire them to be more the same way she does with women. In that way they are superheroes.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-18-2017 at 07:45 PM.