Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    Momentarily forgot the timeline - Fred Davis of course.

I think i mentioned in the main Invaders appreciation that i once plotted out a KC mini series in my head which showed what happened next and added a few new members.
    Coolness! There have been a few Kid Commando stories in the last five years or so. I remember one for the 70th Anniversary specials.

I am slightly worried that James Robinson might have overlooked a few things - the Union Jack and Spitfire still on the team in July 45 in the Pacific Theatre and no Whizzer and Miss A for instance. A few remarks to explain this, acceptable. Nothing ... smacks of not knowing certain things and assumption. That is troubling.

Robinson is clearly adding to the WWII Invaders history with these flashbacks. Isn't it possible that Union Jack and Spitfire would have rejoined, had they been asked? Spitfire is specifically on the team because her powers make the tsunami possible.

I mostly think of Whizzer and Miss America on the homefront side of things, with Liberty Legion, myself, though I know they also were with the Invaders at various times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I think there's 4 All Winners Marvel Masterworks out. The first one is also out in paperback and the second one is coming out in paperback in December, allegedly.

There was an All Winners reprint, where Steranko did a new cover ... but it's only one issue reprinted.

The Masterworks are a little out of my price range right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    The Masterworks are a little out of my price range right now.
    I hear you. The paperbacks are reasonable, though. I think All Winners v1 is going for between $15-25. And if you look around, you can find deals. I picked up a paperback MMW Marvel Comics v2, for $10 at my LCBS.

Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

Coolness! There have been a few Kid Commando stories in the last five years or so. I remember one for the 70th Anniversary specials.

Robinson is clearly adding to the WWII Invaders history with these flashbacks. Isn't it possible that Union Jack and Spitfire would have rejoined, had they been asked? Spitfire is specifically on the team because her powers make the tsunami possible.

I mostly think of Whizzer and Miss America on the homefront side of things, with Liberty Legion, myself, though I know they also were with the Invaders at various times.
    Yes them being asked is possible - in fact i mentioned that in the Invaders appreciation when this first came up. The Whizzer and Miss America were specifically on the team from at least the start of May 1945 and active with them in the Pacific Theatre so their not being around is problematic at this time. UJ and Spitfire could have been called in due to Whizzer sustaining an injury - a mention shows the writer is aware of his Invaders history. No mention and Whizzer and Miss America simply not being present indicates a lack of knowledge.

Whizzer and Miss America were mainly homefront but not at this time.

1942-Spring 1945 - members of the Liberty Legion and sometime Invaders on US missions starting circa Invaders 35/36

March/April 1945 - with the rest of the heroes in Europe as seen in The Twelve.

May 1945 to Sept 1945 - Pacific Theatre with the Invaders.

Sept 1945 onwards - Back home and the team becomes the All Winners Squad.

UJ and Spitfire's timeline:

Early 1942 to mid April 1945 - Invaders - rarely seen accompanying the others to the U.S.
    Mid to late April 1945 - They stay in Britain to help rebuild and presumably hunt escaping Nazis in Europe.
    July 1945 - apparently asked to specially participate in a Pacific Theatre mission. Were not regular members at this time.

In addition its possible the entire team operated in mainland Europe between March and April 1945 and maybe earlier. Previously they were based in or near London.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    would have liked to seen more of the Kid Commandos. somehow this issue feels like a let down. guess i was expecting some big secrets to be exposed but we get nothing really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Pretty much the outcome I imagined when I saw the previews abouth the allied plan using the Invaders.

Peace
    The problem with advanced solicits, previews and interviews. I have mixed feelings about this issue, and I'll try to put those down later.

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    That cover lied! I was promised Captain America and the Invaders would fight a genki magical girl! I demand to read about Captain America fighting Sailor Moon, or a full refund!!!!
    LOL! The teeth displayed on that cover scare me. Also, I don't think this is the last we've seen of Radiance, so there's still a chance you'll get to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I wonder if the agent who turned out to be something more is linked to the recent invasion from the FF.
    Interesting. Didn't think of that. You mean the altered humans from Franklin's pocket dimensions, right? I don't think so. Though it does make me think of the crappy way SHIELD (and the Avengers) have been acting in FF. But according to this, Jim would have recognized another AI, if the butt head at Camp Hammond was one. I guess he's just an ugly human.

I digress. I think the reveal has something to do with the Deathloks (isn't that the next arc?). Though why a Deathlok would be an alien, is beyond me.

BANNED

Yes them being asked is possible - in fact i mentioned that in the Invaders appreciation when this first came up. The Whizzer and Miss America were specifically on the team from at least the start of May 1945 and active with them in the Pacific Theatre so their not being around is problematic at this time. UJ and Spitfire could have been called in due to Whizzer sustaining an injury - a mention shows the writer is aware of his Invaders history. No mention and Whizzer and Miss America simply not being present indicates a lack of knowledge.

Whizzer and Miss America were mainly homefront but not at this time.

1942-Spring 1945 - members of the Liberty Legion and sometime Invaders on US missions starting circa Invaders 35/36

March/April 1945 - with the rest of the heroes in Europe as seen in The Twelve.

May 1945 to Sept 1945 - Pacific Theatre with the Invaders.

Sept 1945 onwards - Back home and the team becomes the All Winners Squad.

UJ and Spitfire's timeline:

Early 1942 to mid April 1945 - Invaders - rarely seen accompanying the others to the U.S.
    Mid to late April 1945 - They stay in Britain to help rebuild and presumably hunt escaping Nazis in Europe.
    July 1945 - apparently asked to specially participate in a Pacific Theatre mission. Were not regular members at this time.

In addition its possible the entire team operated in mainland Europe between March and April 1945 and maybe earlier. Previously they were based in or near London.
    Nice timeline! Color me impressed! Do you have one for all of the Invaders run, or did you remember this for this post?

That's just a general one but i am sort of a list maker - when i first discovered Invaders and All Star Squadron as a teen in back issues i tended to put together timelines and as a history buff i would match up WWII events with their stories and even speculate what happenings in the war an adventure could be tied to. Plus i read those issues including the What If 4 so many times it stuck in my mind. I got great joy out of the Captain America: Patriot trade i bought last year because it filled in so many gaps and gave dates in the timeline and i loved the notion introduced in The Twelve and Twelve: Spearhead about the 'superhero battle of Berlin' because it gives so much fodder for great stories.

In fact if i ever did get to write period pieces for Marvel, i would enact a ton of ideas which essentially expand the timeline/add adventures and fill in gaps but not as pure nostalgia pieces - i'd like to set up past continuity that could be mined for stories that affect the current MU.

Here is a curiousity in the Invaders run.

We kick off in late December 1941 and the next batch of issues take us into January but suddenly the Liberty Legion intro issues just before the intro of Union Jack are taking place in April 1942 - this is explicitly referenced by a newspaper cover headline about the battle of Baatan which takes place at the same time as the LL debut. So from say Invaders 5 to 41 its April to June.

Soooo there's a gap between Jan and April. The Frankenstein's monster flashback story takes place in this gap but essentially a hidden period of the team where you can fit new adventures in before the first UJ joins.

Glad to see someone started this thread. However, a few corrections...

It was NOT Jim Hammond's idea to destroy the Japanese fleet with a tsunami. That was the scientists and the military.

Neither Golden Girl or the fight with the Kid Commando's made the Invaders scrub the mission. It was the realization of just how populated the islands were that did so.

Radiance wasn't apologizing for broaching the subject. She was apologizing for taking SHIELD hostages and blowing up the building.
    Everybody note the corrections.

On the last issue, you could say she was apologising for both the hostage taking/blowing of the SHIELD compound, and, starting to accuse the Invaders of the Atomic Bomb attacks on Japan. I think she was embarrassed by the whole thing.

That's just a general one but i am sort of a list maker - when i first discovered Invaders and All Star Squadron as a teen in back issues i tended to put together timelines and as a history buff i would match up WWII events with their stories and even speculate what happenings in the war an adventure could be tied to. Plus i read those issues including the What If 4 so many times it stuck in my mind. I got great joy out of the Captain America: Patriot trade i bought last year because it filled in so many gaps and gave dates in the timeline and i loved the notion introduced in The Twelve and Twelve: Spearhead about the 'superhero battle of Berlin' because it gives so much fodder for great stories.

In fact if i ever did get to write period pieces for Marvel, i would enact a ton of ideas which essentially expand the timeline/add adventures and fill in gaps but not as pure nostalgia pieces - i'd like to set up past continuity that could be mined for stories that affect the current MU.

Here is a curiousity in the Invaders run.

We kick off in late December 1941 and the next batch of issues take us into January but suddenly the Liberty Legion intro issues just before the intro of Union Jack are taking place in April 1942 - this is explicitly referenced by a newspaper cover headline about the battle of Baatan which takes place at the same time as the LL debut. So from say Invaders 5 to 41 its April to June.

Soooo there's a gap between Jan and April. The Frankenstein's monster flashback story takes place in this gap but essentially a hidden period of the team where you can fit new adventures in before the first UJ joins.
    It could be publishing runs are like 3-4 months difference from actual events?

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Oh, this was a terrific issue, so character driven. And Marc Laming's art, I would not complain if he takes over from Pugh (I'd love it actually), but wow. Supreme Fine Robinson work here.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It could be publishing runs are like 3-4 months difference from actual events?
    Nope - not publishing runs. Given dates. Giant Size Invaders 1 gives a late December 1941 date - it doesn't just say a few weeks after Pearl Harbour it specifically gives the date. The following 4 or so issues bring us into January 1942.

Then suddenly its mid to late April 1942 and that's circa issue 5. The rest of the run takes place from April to June 1942 with the 90's mini specifically giving a date of June 22nd 1942.

Plus of course the Frankenstein issue flashes back to an 'earlier Invaders adventure.' This must have taken place in the 3 month gap between i think issue 4 and 5. It's strange but it's irrefutable.

Nope - not publishing runs. Given dates. Giant Size Invaders 1 gives a late December 1941 date - it doesn't just say a few weeks after Pearl Harbour it specifically gives the date. The following 4 or so issues bring us into January 1942.

Then suddenly its mid to late April 1942 and that's circa issue 5. The rest of the run takes place from April to June 1942 with the 90's mini specifically giving a date of June 22nd 1942.

Plus of course the Frankenstein issue flashes back to an 'earlier Invaders adventure.' This must have taken place in the 3 month gap between i think issue 4 and 5. It's strange but it's irrefutable.
    Yeah. The Invaders might just not have done anything between April and June 1942 from issues 4 to 5? The Frankenstein flashback being an untold story, maybe?

I have to think the purpose of this arc aside from being a Original Sin tie in would be to introduce Radiance with the plan to have her join the "team" down the road, but I can't help but think this could have been done in a just a single issue with maybe 5-10 more pages.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    That cover lied! I was promised Captain America and the Invaders would fight a genki magical girl! I demand to read about Captain America fighting Sailor Moon, or a full refund!!!!
    LMAO, when I picked up my pull list after being away the last week I could not help but notice and be surprised by Greg Land's cover. What is most Epic is that when this issue came out of Invaders, it was only a few days after Sailor Moon's New Anime Premiere; IMO their is very little chance that is some kind of Coincidence by Land. Seems like shout out to the premiere. BTW, any kind of brand crossover like to one you said Habis sounds like a blast indeed.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!