Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Smallville. Is Chloe Sullivan still in Action Comics?

I'm rewatching Season 4 of the show before binge watching Seasons 5 and 6 and years ago DC made a big deal about adding Chloe into the Action Comics series.

So is Chloe still around in any of the recent or previous issues of Action Comics?
    Last edited by paurru; 05-26-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

She had the misfortune of making her comics debut right before DC rebooted its entire history with the New 52, so...no.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think the further away we get from the show, the less likely she is to return. I doubt we'll see her again anytime soon.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Yeah, there was the Smallville comic there to appease Chloe fans during the early years of the New Fifty-Two, but like all post-script TV tie ins, interest in that fizzled out without any lingering buzz from the tv show to compliment it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Yeah, there was the Smallville comic there to appease Chloe fans during the early years of the New Fifty-Two, but like all post-script TV tie ins, interest in that fizzled out without any lingering buzz from the tv show to compliment it.
    The Smallville comic was one of the better Superman franchises out there. Even at the time. But I think the creators understood that keeping a franchise going five years after the show was off the air just was not tenable.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm surprised Flash titles still haven't tried incorporating tv elements/characters. I assume John Diggles inclusion in GA didn't light enough of a firestorm to justify more.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I'm surprised Flash titles still haven't tried incorporating tv elements/characters. I assume John Diggles inclusion in GA didn't light enough of a firestorm to justify more.
    well there's an African American Wally West. Wouldn't be surprised if a Wells shows up eventually.

DC's never been much for synergy. Stuff does leak through, and a lot of the big Superman concepts originally started out in radio or tv serials (like flight and kryptonite), but generally DC doesnt chase larger media stuff like Marvel is these days. I just chalk that up to Marvel being the "new kid" in comics-synergy town.

But stuff does bleed through; Aqualad from the Young Justice cartoon appeared in Brightest Day and just returned in Teen Titans. John Diggle appeared in Arrow (along with Felicity, for one short, unpopular run), the current Supergirl series is pulled straight out of the tv show's ass. NuWally being black was because the tv show cast the West family as black.

You do see synergy in costumes a fair amount. Wonder Woman's wearing her movie outfit right now, and Batman's costume has been influenced by the movie sensibilities.

But if synergy was lucrative, you'd see sales numbers a lot higher than we do. When a movie can make billions but the comic still only sells 100K at best, you dont need to look much farther to see that synergy, under the current business model, is largely a waste. I mean, if a movie has a cool idea, then the comics should steal it, but its not gonna increase sales very much.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The movies probably get more priority than TV shows. Supergirl being the exception with her not likely to show up in the movies. Flash is part of the new JL movie. So they'll more likely to take their cues from there before they do the shows. I'm not sure how many more seasons Arrow has so how long it will be influencing the comics remains to be seen. It wouldn't surprise me if both Felicity and Diggle disappear not long after the show goes off the air.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member

I never read Chloe's appearance in Action Comics. I'm curious if she was similar to her TV counterpart or was just Chloe Sullivan in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by stephtanner View Post
    I never read Chloe's appearance in Action Comics. I'm curious if she was similar to her TV counterpart or was just Chloe Sullivan in name only.
    She looked like the show but was closer to Jimmie's age which made no sense. I think they dated. I wasn't reading the books at that time but I think you could count her appearances on one hand.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    well there's an African American Wally West. Wouldn't be surprised if a Wells shows up eventually.
    I thought he showed up before or around the time the show started 2014), while the TV Wally came in shortly before the midseason finale of season 2. So it was the other way around.

Unfortunately no. She had few appearances before new52 if I remember correctly. Her character portrayal was really good in Smallville. I hope DC would introduce her in the main continuity somewhere down the road.

They should have had her become the new Oracle when Barbara Gordon reverted to Batgirl. That's pretty much the role she had in Smallville by the end.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

She should be part of Clark's main cast, honestly.