Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    May I ask what Ketchum has done for the X-books? I mean if he has been in since '07, does he not bare responsibility for a lot of the crap the X-books have gone through?
    He was the editor of the MAGNETO solo book, too! He loves the X-MEN and knows the characters and their history. I'm so saddened by this news. There is no reason for this other than fallout from Syaf's stupid sh*t in X-MEN GOLD. Ketchum has done a good job as editor, writers and artists all respect him, and the ResurreXion books are doing well. And let's not forget, that he stuck by the X-MEN during the dark year and a half when they were being suppressed, while others abandoned the sinking ship.

Now I understand Brian Bendis' tweets from a couple of days ago, about the strong feelings and passions of the editors at Marvel--I'm just guessing that his colleagues at Marvel have been saddened and upset by this firing, if this is true.

It's not fair to blame Ketchum for something that no one could have caught unless they were already an Indonesian Muslim radical.

Anyway, he advocated for diversity, for fairness in the treatment of these wonderful characters. He loves the X-MEN. I wish him the best.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    He was the editor of the MAGNETO solo book, too! He loves the X-MEN and knows the characters and their history. I'm so saddened by this news. There is no reason for this other than fallout from Syaf's stupid sh*t in X-MEN GOLD. Ketchum has done a good job as editor, writers and artists all respect him, and the ResurreXion books are doing well. And let's not forget, that he stuck by the X-MEN during the dark year and a half when they were being suppressed, while others abandoned the sinking ship.

Now I understand Brian Bendis' tweets from a couple of days ago, about the strong feelings and passions of the editors at Marvel--I'm just guessing that his colleagues at Marvel have been saddened and upset by this firing, if this is true.

It's not fair to blame Ketchum for something that no one could have caught unless they were already an Indonesian Muslim radical.

Anyway, he advocated for diversity, for fairness in the treatment of these wonderful characters. He loves the X-MEN. I wish him the best.
    Where's the official statement that this is fallout from the Syaf incident?

Wait, this is all about some artists inserting references to Qur'an? So he's a scapegoat?

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    Look at Us Avengers. First issue was the top selling comic when it came out, now look at where they are...
    Inflated sales due to 50 state variants. Issue #2 was around 30K so reckon estimated reader demand for #1 if not propped up by variants is more along 50K or so.

Meanwhile, both Blue and Gold had 50K+ orders for #2 so while variants are definitely a factor, probably looking at maybe 70-80K #1 without the variants.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 05-26-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Where's the official statement that this is fallout from the Syaf incident?
    There isn't one. There probably won't be one. But I can't think of any other reason why they would suddenly let Daniel Ketchum go! This is not anyone's style at Marvel, from the CCO to the Publisher to the Editor in Chief. When's the last time an editor (who was well liked and doing a good job) was outright fired instead of resigning? But you're right to point out, I'm speculating.

This is a termination with prejudice if he was not given the option of resignation and the terminated his contract, but let's wait and see. If it was a clear firing it's worse of course and makes it harder for him to find a new job.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.

BANNED

There isn't one. There probably won't be one. But I can't think of any other reason why they would suddenly let Daniel Ketchum go! This is not anyone's style at Marvel, from the CCO to the Publisher to the Editor in Chief. When's the last time an editor (who was well liked and doing a good job) was outright fired instead of resigning? But you're right to point out, I'm speculating.
    You do realize "letting go" could very well be an amicable termination of a contract, due to Ketchum seeking employment elsewhere, right?

I mean, just put on your thinking cap.

The wording on the matter, at this point in time, is completely Bleeding Cool's.

BANNED

Christina Strain confirmed it on Twitter

https://twitter.com/christinastrain/...-shockwaves%2F

Bleeding Cool have a follow-up article where they confirm it was a firing, and there may be more job cuts to come at the publisher

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05...ut-shockwaves/

The dismissal had nothing to do with the X-Men Gold controversy.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 05-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.

May I ask what Ketchum has done for the X-books? I mean if he has been in since '07, does he not bare responsibility for a lot of the crap the X-books have gone through?
    Unless I'm very mistaken, Ketchum was the guy who brought Si Spurrier to the X-books and edited all his works in the line. Given that I happily place X-Club, X-Men Legacy v2 and X-Force v4 as my top reasons for getting back into X-Men over the last 5-ish years, that's a sizable feather in his cap IMO.

So it sucks he's gone.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'm honestly surprised to see the consensus. Granted, it's nice to see because it's full of well-wishes for Mr. Ketchum, but it seems like he would have been involved in Death of X, the Terrigen Mist story, and IvX, so I wouldn't have expected this. But I do wish him the best of luck in the future. Always sucks when people lose their jobs.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I think sales is the reason.
    Gold and Blue #1 sold 100k and #2 sold 60k and 50k.

Weapon X #1 sold 70k and #2 40k.
    With such team book sales I doubt that Jean, Cable or Iceman solos will do any better.

I hope Astonishing will be a hit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm honestly surprised to see the consensus. Granted, it's nice to see because it's full of well-wishes for Mr. Ketchum, but it seems like he would have been involved in Death of X, the Terrigen Mist story, and IvX, so I wouldn't have expected this. But I do wish him the best of luck in the future. Always sucks when people lose their jobs.
    He also edited Rick Remender's Uncanny Avengers, one of Marvel's most misguided books in the last half decade, so the "but he cared so much about the diversity!!!11!" thing doesn't fly with me.

The X-Men Gold debacle may have had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I think sales is the reason.
    Gold and Blue #1 sold 100k and #2 sold 60k and 50k.

Weapon X #1 sold 70k and #2 40k.
    With such team book sales I doubt that Jean, Cable or Iceman solos will do any better.

I hope Astonishing will be a hit.
    Maybe I just don't really know about how the stuff works but I don't think editors are fired for books not selling lol. Specially when he's responsible for so many books, that are doing pretty fine actually specially for double-shipping titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Maybe I just don't really know about how the stuff works but I don't think editors are fired for books not selling lol. Specially when he's responsible for so many books, that are doing pretty fine actually specially for double-shipping titles.
    Let's take a look at some of the double shipping Rebirth titles:

Batman #2: 177k
    Justice League #2: 127k
    Harley Quinn #2: 116k
    Wonder Woman #2: 103k
    Flash #2: 103k
    Superman #2: 102k
    Detective Comics #936: 100k
    Action Comics #959: 83k
    Hal Jordan #2: 77k
    Green Lanterns #2: 82k
    Aquaman #2: 70k

etc. etc.

Even Deathstroke, a book that gets cancelled every year, did as well on its second issue as Blue and Gold. Obviously there's some extraneous circumstances, like returnability, but Marvel has sales incentives of its own to boost sales. And all Marvel relaunches have failed recently, but this one was sold as giving the fans what they want and doing their own version of Rebirth, yet sales have been as poor as the Terrigenocide era.

That said, editors don't get fired over poor sales, you're right about that. They usually just get demoted. Or are called Tom Brevoort.