Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default So, when will they get rid of those "Tron lines" in the Flash suit?

Seriously, they have to go. Superman already got rid of those ugly lines on his suit. Flash's are one of the last holdovers of the New 52 and I see no reason to keep them at this point. They make the suit look too busy and overdesigned when the original was already simple and perfect. Keep the seams and texture if needed but get rid of those yellow lines. Not even Wally has them.

Never because of synergy.

Extraordinary Member

I hope to God soon. They're absolutely horrible.

I'm not big on them, myself...
    But, if that's how they want him... there's been worse ideas (like Booster's Football Armor look, Alan Scott's Living Lantern look, Zatanna's Bat-Stewardess look, Green Lantern's glowing/floating chest-insignia...)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

........I like them.

I also like New 52 Tron Costume Superboy.

As much as I dislike the armored look of Injustice Flash compared to the much more streamlined and slick look of Injustice 2 Flash, the gears in Injustice 2 which add a racecar driver-like helmet, chest and armor give the coolest Flash design ever.

Retired

Far too many lines on super-hero costumes. I think the lines on Wonder Woman's are the worst--and her costume covers less area.

It used to be that comics artists tried to reduce an image to its basic elements--so there was less clutter on the page. I always found that interesting--because it was like they were making you see more than what the lines showed--your brain filled in the detail.

Now it's seems like a test for up and coming artists. Computers may have made drawing faster, but now an artist has to spend hours putting in all that detail work that doesn't actually add any content to the story. It's just a lot of picky work and an artist has to be one who can tolerate mindless tedium for hours on end. And if you're not that kind of personality you can't get a job--even though you might be the next C.C. Beck or Mike Parobeck.

Of all of the New 52 suit redesigns, the only one that looked good was the flash. I don't think that it looks too overly busy. The lines are rather clean and evoke the Flash's lightning motif. It looks especially good in action with lighting surrounding him. However, I can understand why some don't like it. I think that a happy medium would be to give him his old suit, but have lightning surround him in a manner that looks similar to the New 52 suit when he accesses the speed force.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member

I would LOVE to see them gone.

I wouldn't mind them so much if other artists followed the rules Manapul and Buccellato established.

Jim Lee designed the New 52 Flash suit with seams. Just standard thin line weight seams.

Manapul wanted to give them some purpose and decided that the seams would light up with red energy at medium speed and yellow energy at top speed. When standing still or moving at normal human speed they wouldn't light up at all. He drew up a style sheet and everything for artists to follow, with the rules explicitly stated.

Practically every other artist ignored those rules. They drew them as thick lines instead of thin detailing, they colored them flat yellow instead of as glowing electricity, they didn't differentiate the color with the speed he was moving, they had them colored constantly even when Flash was standing still. Just a big mess.

They should go back to the Silver Age suit.

I like his modern belt but the lines needs to be toned down at least. They probably won't get rid of it due to movie coming up but they can keep it down at least. I especially hate how Carmine makes everything look busy with lightnings raining around even when they are standing still.

Only Manapul could portray it correctly.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I like his modern belt but the lines needs to be toned down at least. They probably won't get rid of it due to movie coming up but they can keep it down at least. I especially hate how Carmine makes everything look busy with lightnings raining around even when they are standing still.

Only Manapul could portray it correctly.
    I don't even think Manapul portrayed it correctly. You're right about the belt. The chinstrap is no big deal to me either way... but man those boots. They have to go by the end of rebirth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I like his modern belt
    The symmetrical belt that meets in the middle (as opposed to the jagged strip) is the only improvement made on the Silver Age design, as far as I'm concerned.

I actually really like the 1990s Wally West suit (introduced in Flash #50) and how restrained of a redesign it was. It was cool. But the belt was the only part that was obviously a better design choice. DC seemed to agree, since they ended up getting rid of the shiny effect, then getting rid of the white eyes and even briefly brought back the boot wings (after Lightning Saga, before Rebirth). The new belt was the one thing that stuck!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    The chinstrap is no big deal to me either way...
    When Jim Lee added the chin strap he also changed the cut of the mask around the cheeks. Instead of just being a vertical line from the cheek to the jaw it's more of a triangular cut inwards, so the mask covers more of the face. It can look cramped and awkward depending on the artist. The old version is better.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    but man those boots. They have to go by the end of rebirth.
    The main Flash artist, Carmine Di Giandomenico, has been drawing him with the classic style boots (but without the wings) since Rebirth. Unfortunately not every artist has followed his lead.

Speedsters and lines go well together.

I like the design, it works really well with how they release massive amounts of lightning whenever he runs.

The chinstrap is the worst part IMO. It just looks really bad.

Now that Wally's got a great new costume,(when they color it as one shade of red, when colored 2 tone,it looks bad) I wouldn't mind them giving Barry Wally's old suit from before Flash:Rebirth. IMHO that was the best design.