Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I remember listening to this song and the album when I was 14 or so. It blew my mind. A great song.

Fantastic Member Spiritualcramp's Avatar

Its definitely their best album of all their discography, its heavy, fast, and has high pitched vocals. It really doesn't get more metal than Painkiller

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualcramp View Post
    Its definitely their best album of all their discography, its heavy, fast, and has high pitched vocals. It really doesn't get more metal than Painkiller
    I agree. A classic, which stood the test of time.

Invincible Member

Bass player used to be in Anthrax

Invincible Member

I bought this on cassette tape when it came out. I was a big fan of it then

Invincible Member

this was for a cancer charity

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    In CBR days of yore, board metalheads congregated in one of the longest running threads in the now defunct music sub-forum. This is its reprise. A place to discuss and share our passion for all things heavy metal.

So, let's discuss.

1. What are your favorite metal bands and songs? Embed a video if you feel so inclined, I've discovered so many new bands that way.

2. What's your take on the current, very fractious state of metal? Is it stagnating?

3. Will there ever be another Metallica, or is the metal super band well and truly dead?

4. What got you into the genre? Mtv? Older brother? Friends? Radio? What was your path?

5. What's your take on the very generational argument over what makes a band "metal". Do bands like Led Zeppelin and AC/DC still qualify?

6. Did you post in the previous metal thread? What was your handle?

Restarting the conversation, with 8+ years of new **** to talk about. Welcome back.

Very well-thought questions. I'll play.

1. Too many individuals to list, so the sub-genres of Power, Progressive, Symphonic, and Operatic are my favorites. Examples are Falconer, Symphony X, Luca Turilli, and Therion, respectively.

2. Mainstream metal is certainly stagnating, as it all sounds the same on the radio. Step away from that platform, and you can find metal that fits your needs.

3. Metallica has been dead to me since they let go of Jason Newstead. Now they sound like every other crappy band on the radio. As far as will there be another super band, probably not, as Metal itself doesn't have the mainstream attention as it used to.

4. My parents got me into it, simply by playing it. When Judas Priest's "Painkiller" album came out, it was a mainstay on long trips. Still my favorite Priest album, by far. I rediscovered Metal as an adult. It started with Metallica's S&M album, and I sought out more melody-backed Metal, and discovered Iron Maiden (whom I heard of but never really listened to) when I bought "Dance of the Death." Loved it upon first listening. My dad gave me a copy of Symphony X's "The Odyssey," and through a friend discovered the online radio station Epic Rock Radio, and it was all over. I found my vein of Metal. 2010 the same friend and I made it to ProgPower USA for the first time, and I finally had a chance to see these bands live in America.

5. I've never considered Zeppelin to be Metal, myself. Prog, yeah, but not Metal. AC/DC, and many of the hair bands of that day, I'm on the fence. I think it depends on the song, more than the band, as most of it I would consider Hard Rock over Metal. It's difficult to explain in words, more of an intuitive conclusion. I'm an 80's kid for generational reference.

6. Returned from inactivity, so no, I don't believe I've replied in the previous thread.
    Last edited by Rydgen; 07-22-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by beetheb View Post
    In CBR days of yore, board metalheads congregated in one of the longest running threads in the now defunct music sub-forum. This is its reprise. A place to discuss and share our passion for all things heavy metal.

So, let's discuss.

1. What are your favorite metal bands and songs? Embed a video if you feel so inclined, I've discovered so many new bands that way.

2. What's your take on the current, very fractious state of metal? Is it stagnating?

3. Will there ever be another Metallica, or is the metal super band well and truly dead?

4. What got you into the genre? Mtv? Older brother? Friends? Radio? What was your path?

5. What's your take on the very generational argument over what makes a band "metal". Do bands like Led Zeppelin and AC/DC still qualify?

6. Did you post in the previous metal thread? What was your handle?

Restarting the conversation, with 8+ years of new **** to talk about. Welcome back.

1. My favorite band is Tool. In this moment is good as well. Black Label Society, Texas Hippie Coalition and Unleash the Archers are good as well. Then there are some of the classic bands and singers like Dio, Metallica, Pantera and ACDC.

2. There are plenty of problems with the current state of metal. I personally think of it just hard rock. Personally with some there is just to much screaming instead of singing. As far as stagnating. There really isn't much publicity for rock music. There needs to be much more new blood found. A Music Tv station could help.

3. There will not be another group like Metallica because the music industry aren't interested in rock music. It's pop, country, R&B or rap.

4.Mtv. It was great until they start nothing but rap and pop music and horseshit like 16 and pregnant.

5. To me it is just hard rock.

6. No
    Last edited by nnelg; 08-04-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I do love me some Dream Theater. I understand that they may be a bit of an acquired taste but they've always been a **** hot band as far as I'm concerned. They've been helped in their career by being left to their own devices by their respective record labels since the mid 1990's (the 'Falling Into Infinity' album from 1997 to be precise, actually a strong record for me) to create the music that the band can excel at without any outside restrictions and industry pressures. They have been able to create a large body of very ambitious music that's been keeping me company recently on my commute into work. Here's where it all started:

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Ah, Manowar; loved them when I was a teenager. I think I saw them even live once.

Fantastic Member

Classic german heavy metal band:

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Hahaha this is awesome. I've been coming to this site for over twenty years (since the beginning ) and have always wondered why there wasn't a metal thread...and now I find there always was?!!!! Anyhoo. ..here's some new Gwar
    \m/ \m/
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8