Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Invincible Member

Smashed Gladys was pretty much a one hit wonder band, their biggest hit was I guess "Legs Up". Sound wise they probably had a little more punch than a few other band that were more successful. Looking back some of their lyrics looking back were kinda juvenile, but oh well. Case in point the title of this song is "Sermonette" but the chorus is "We Did It to Get Laid"...

Invincible Member

I had this album on vinyl when it came out. And on paper the idea of it ( ex-hardcore punk guys form a southern influenced hard rock band) sounded better than the execution. It's not bad by any means, but it's shockingly mediocre. It comes across as "punk rock guys try to cash in on Guns and Roses craze and don't quite pull it off". This song and "Blooze" were probably the best songs on the record.

Lead guitarist Brain Baker ( ex-Minor Threat, ex-Dag Nasty) went back to punk rock and joined Bad Religion after the 2nd (?) album.
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-04-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Invincible Member

Raging Slag was WAAAY better at actually being what Junkyard was pretending to be. They put out solid music at one point. I saw them live at The Vic ( I think, it's been a long time) after their first full length album and they delivered. This is from the 2nd full album "Dynamite Monster Boogie Concert".

I decided not to post the promo video because while it's funny...it's full of stuff with mini-golf, Gary Coleman cameos, Heckle and Jeckle puppets, and Lester ( from Willie Tyler and Lester)...it actually distracts from what a good song this is.

Here's a link though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZPP_o9M1AM

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

So, this person on another forum showed off Brujeria, and honestly... I can't get into deathcore metal, especially groups that feature a severed head as their debut album.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    So, this person on another forum showed off Brujeria, and honestly... I can't get into deathcore metal, especially groups that feature a severed head as their debut album.
    I'll admit there are some bands out there that try so hard to be EXTREME that they fall into unintentional self-parody.

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

I'll admit that the reason I'm aware of this song is because Metallica covered it. Having said that I think the original might be better.

Invincible Member

This was a big "crossover" record ( thrash that both metalheads and punks enjoyed) back in the day. The band is basically singer Billy Milano and former/current members of Anthrax. The lyrics are purposely bad taste humor some of which the band got criticism for. Later versions of this album had an * next to the title of this song to point out that it's actually an anti-suicide song.

Billy formed a band called M.O.D. and got into trouble over a song called "Aren't You Hungry?"

Also worth noting this came out probably towards the end of the "three initial fad" ( a multitude of punk and thrash bands naming themselves with sometimes random three initials).
    Last edited by ed2962; 08-24-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Invincible Member

The art/storyboards were by Todd MacFarland I think?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I remember when this was on the radio. It was a concept album about about Reagan America but I'd argue that 75% of it still holds true today

This is still my all-time favorite album. The band has never topped it and really killed a large part of my fandom with a series of terrible albums and the disastrous breakup and dueling lawsuits, but nothing will dent my love of the album.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Have you heard the new album from the band with Mike Howe back on vocals? It's awesome.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    That snare drum sound killed the song and album. Its said Metallica wanted a raw garage sound for the album and Bob Rock (producer) let them do this. But damn that drum was brutal to sit through.
    It's a brutally bad album. I got rid of it from my collection because it is so bad I feel it downgraded my entire musical collection with its inclusion.

Back in the 80's fear of Satanism was a real thing. There were certain people who were seeing the Devil everywhere in pop culture and Heavy Metal music was an obvious target. Ozzy and Preist had lawsuits filed against them in a couple of high profile cases after a couple of kids killed themselves and "This music is killing our kids" was a rallying cry among some people. This song ( among many) was a reaction against such claims.
    Metal Church had a song with similar lyrical themes.