• Powers

15 28.85%
  • Tools

25 48.08%
  • It doesn't matter

12 23.08%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

I always prefer “Powers” to “Tools”. If they’re “Tools”, then they can never create a good enough justification for why only one person can use it.

With 47 votes,
    * Tools = 21 votes
    * Powers = 15 votes
    * It doesn't matter = 11 votes

Amazing Member

I think she should rely on tech not powers. She should also be either a Pulp Age or Golden Age character. If she is Modern Day & has Powers she would be Nightshade. In that case, Nichtshade has the better backstory.

Replying to an old post (from a little over a year ago),
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always prefer “Powers” to “Tools”. If they’re “Tools”, then they can never create a good enough justification for why only one person can use it.
    Why can't they "create a good enough justification for why only one person can use it"? Wouldn't that all depend on if the user was the creator of the tools / device vs. whether they can be bought at Wal-Mart?

Also, even if other people could get access to the device / tools, not everyone would necessarily use them as well as others. Look at guns. Some people have better aim / control of a gun than other people do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Replying to an old post (from a little over a year ago),Why can't they "create a good enough justification for why only one person can use it"? Wouldn't that all depend on if the user was the creator of the tools / device vs. whether they can be bought at Wal-Mart?

Also, even if other people could get access to the device / tools, not everyone would necessarily use them as well as others. Look at guns. Some people have better aim / control of a gun than other people do.
    Except that in most cases the problem is that

1) something discovered by one genius should be just as discoverable by the next. Except for patent protection almost anything one person builds quickly has dozens of knock-offs.
    1a) and in Phantom Lady's case this is tech that was discovered almost a century ago

2)Any useful item that a superhero has would be sought after by the government for military use. They might agree to let Sandy keep the tech rather than have bad publicity by confiscating it, but there'd still be government contracts for creating devices using the same principles. And again this would be ongoing since Phantom Lady (and Doctor Mid-nite) made headlines in the 1940's until now.

Personally the Wild Cards had the best take on that where much of the high-tech equipment used by heroes was actually a case of "mind over matter" where someone like Luthor, Rex Tyler, or Will Magnus were the only ones who could build working items based on their formulas, blueprints, etc; It was a minor superpower that enabled them to make things work that really shouldn't.
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 06-05-2023 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

1) something discovered by one genius should be just as discoverable by the next. Except for patent protection almost anything one person builds quickly has dozens of knock-offs.
    1a) and in Phantom Lady's case this is tech that was discovered almost a century ago

2)Any useful item that a superhero has would be sought after by the government for military use. They might agree to let Sandy keep the tech rather than have bad publicity by confiscating it, but there'd still be government contracts for creating devices using the same principles. And again this would be ongoing since Phantom Lady (and Doctor Mid-nite) made headlines in the 1940's until now.
    I don't see anyone pointing this out when it comes to Batman or other non-powered heroes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't see anyone pointing this out when it comes to Batman or other non-powered heroes.
    Sure they do, everytime someone asks why Tony Stark isn't making armors for all the Avengers, Or why Ted Knight didn't make cosmic tech commercially (until Robinson had him do it). It is the whole thought process behind the trope "Reed Richards is useless"

Sure they do, everytime someone asks why Tony Stark isn't making armors for all the Avengers, Or why Ted Knight didn't make cosmic tech commercially (until Robinson had him do it). It is the whole thought process behind the trope "Reed Richards is useless"
    And yet nothing changes. Clearly no one in any significant number sees it as an issue.

Personally the Wild Cards had the best take on that where much of the high-tech equipment used by heroes was actually a case of "mind over matter" where someone like Luthor, Rex Tyler, or Will Magnus were the only ones who could build working items based on their formulas, blueprints, etc; It was a minor superpower that enabled them to make things work that really shouldn't.
    But you also ignored the second part of my post:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Replying to an old post (from a little over a year ago),Why can't they "create a good enough justification for why only one person can use it"? Wouldn't that all depend on if the user was the creator of the tools / device vs. whether they can be bought at Wal-Mart?

Sure they do, everytime someone asks why Tony Stark isn't making armors for all the Avengers,
    He did that once in a What If. Don't remember what happened, just remember the concept.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Tools, all the way.

My first exposure to Phantom Lady was in Damage, where the concept is presented as the US' version of the Red Room. The powers came from gadgets and gear. That's how I prefer it. The Knight family is impressive as hell, when you sit back and look at them. They're the unsung Kennedys of the DCU. And somehow I find it more poetic and potent that they accomplish what they do without powers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

With 49 votes,
    * Tools = 23 votes (+2)
    * Powers = 15 votes

= NOTE: Thread was started back in May of 2017. =
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Do you prefer Phantom Lady's abilities be a result of super powers or tools she uses?

I personally prefer equipment though it be only allowed to turn her invisible and intangible
    With 50 votes,
    * Tools = 24 votes
    * Powers = 15 votes

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hmm. I am not sure. I like her ability to "Phantom Out" which is better as a true power. But I also like the Black Light and goggles to see in the darkness, which I feel is better as a gadget (tool).

Maybe a combo if both? That's how I always thought of Phantom Lady.
    I totally agree. As long as she's not as powerful or confusing as Justin Gray's version. Her limit should be that she can only make herself intangibility and invisibility (and maybe not at the same time). And her black-light ray is a device that accesses the Shadowlands.