• Powers

15 28.85%
  • Tools

25 48.08%
  • It doesn't matter

12 23.08%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Exactly. Both Green Lantern and Iron Man get their abilities from devices instead of having actual super-powers.
    The modern versions of these devices are a lot more advanced than a blacklight device

Astonishing Member

I believe the likes of Green Lantern and Iron Man prove that to be false.
    Exactly. Both Green Lantern and Iron Man get their abilities from devices instead of having actual super-powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The modern versions of these devices are a lot more advanced than a blacklight device
    Thank you, Agent Z.

Comparing night-vision googles and a darkness beam flashlight to Green Lantern's Power Ring or Iron Man's armor does not prove my statement false. (Especially Iron Man's armor. Phantom Lady is infamous for the nice, little nothing she is almost wearing...that's not going to work today without some powers!)

I'd be most intrigued by a combo of devices and powers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hmm. I am not sure. I like her ability to "Phantom Out" which is better as a true power. But I also like the Black Light and goggles to see in the darkness, which I feel is better as a gadget (tool).

Maybe a combo if both? That's how I always thought of Phantom Lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    That could work too. Kind of like how Spider-Man does have powers but still relies on equipment
    I agree. This is a good idea.

What would be powers and what would be equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Comparing night-vision googles and a darkness beam flashlight to Green Lantern's Power Ring or Iron Man's armor does not prove my statement false. (Especially Iron Man's armor. Phantom Lady is infamous for the nice, little nothing she is almost wearing...that's not going to work today without some powers!)
    I think Batgirl and Batwoman, not to mention Huntress, may not agree with you.
    A little updating of her tech, and maybe her outfit, would be sufficient without going to actual "powers".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think Batgirl and Batwoman, not to mention Huntress, may not agree with you.
    A little updating of her tech, and maybe her outfit, would be sufficient without going to actual "powers".
    The Bat-family is in a league of their own (that Batman began so long ago).

We don't need another Batman (or Batwoman)...because we have Batman and Batwoman.

Phantom Lady's tech would require a significant update and upgrade! And some powers would be real nice, too.

We don't need another Batman (or Batwoman)...because we have Batman and Batwoman.

Phantom Lady's tech would require a significant update and upgrade! And some powers would be real nice, too.
    There's a difference between "would be real nice" and "necessary". And the need for more than just tech devices really depends on what opponents she typically would face, wouldn't it?

Astonishing Member

There's a difference between "would be real nice" and "necessary". And the need for more than just tech devices really depends on what opponents she typically would face, wouldn't it?
    Yes, there's a difference.

In a bygone era, she could fight armed criminal men with googles, blacklight and lingerie. Today, she'll need more.

Why should I read about her when I could read about Batgirl, Batwoman or Huntress? Phantom Lady needs to bring more to capture the interest of a modern audience. I think that would be powers. If this can work for Black Canary, why not Phantom Lady?

Yes, there's a difference.

In a bygone era, she could fight armed criminal men with googles, blacklight and lingerie. Today, she'll need more.

Why should I read about her when I could read about Batgirl, Batwoman or Huntress? Phantom Lady needs to bring more to capture the interest of a modern audience. I think that would be powers. If this can work for Black Canary, why not Phantom Lady?
    We had a Black Canary comic book . . . why would we need a Phantom Lady book?

It all depends on who the creative team is behind it and what the direction they go in turns out to be. We should know THAT before we argue whether she needs actual "powers" or not. Giving her powers could be overkill if she's not dealing with super-powered villain heavyweights.

Astonishing Member

We had a Black Canary comic book . . . why would we need a Phantom Lady book?

It all depends on who the creative team is behind it and what the direction they go in turns out to be. We should know THAT before we argue whether she needs actual "powers" or not. Giving her powers could be overkill if she's not dealing with super-powered villain heavyweights.
    We don't need a Phantom Lady book. I just don't want her to be cannon fodder for the next crisis.

Black Canary is featured in Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Injustice video game and the Green Arrow TV series. I'd like that type of inclusion for Phantom Lady.

Phantom Lady needs to capture modern interest. Powers may not be necessary...but I can't think of a better way.

We don't need a Phantom Lady book. I just don't want her to be cannon fodder for the next crisis.

Black Canary is featured in Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Injustice video game and the Green Arrow TV series. I'd like that type of inclusion for Phantom Lady.

Phantom Lady needs to capture modern interest. Powers may not be necessary...but I can't think of a better way.
    Actually given how few of DC's non powered heroes are focused on (and how even the few that are tend to be men) having a non-powered Phantom lady could capture interest. Her gear could be modified to make her more powerful like the Stormy Knight and Jennifer Knight versions who were borderline reality warpers.

Powers or no, there is a way for her to capture interest. In the previous page I even suggested her giving herself superpowers.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Thank you, Agent Z.

The modern dark-light bracelet could do more than just create darkness. When Phantom Lady bathed herself in it's light, it made her both invisible and intangible. She could also use the bracelet to teleport herself and others.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Giving Phantom Lady powers isn't suddenly going to make her an A-list character, so just stick with what worked since 1941.

Also, bring back Dee Tyler!

The modern dark-light bracelet could do more than just create darkness. When Phantom Lady bathed herself in it's light, it made her both invisible and intangible. She could also use the bracelet to teleport herself and others.
    That may be a bit of overkill.
    I think modifying the blacklight ray a bit so it's more powerful and making her goggles capable of night vision would be sufficient, plus maybe "borrowing" Michael Holt's devices that could make her appear invisible to surveillance cameras and other technological monitoring equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'd be most intrigued by a combo of devices and powers.
    No prob with that notion as long as long as they try do something ORIGINAL And or Inventive and don't get lazy and cop out give her a Healing Power Set. That is too old and is just plain LAZY!