15 28.85%
  • Tools

25 48.08%
  • It doesn't matter

12 23.08%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Actually given how few of DC's non powered heroes are focused on (and how even the few that are tend to be men) having a non-powered Phantom lady could capture interest. Her gear could be modified to make her more powerful like the Stormy Knight and Jennifer Knight versions who were borderline reality warpers.
    DC's focus is primarily on Batman and family...followed by Superman and Wonder Woman...followed distantly by other Justice League. That hierarchy will remain for the foreseeable future.

Batwoman, Batgirl, Huntress, Catwoman, Vicki Vale and Lois Lane are all non-powered. They could capture interest too. What makes Phantom Lady distinct?

Powers or no, there is a way for her to capture interest. In the previous page I even suggested her giving herself superpowers.
    I think that is a good suggestion.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 07-16-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The modern dark-light bracelet could do more than just create darkness. When Phantom Lady bathed herself in it's light, it made her both invisible and intangible. She could also use the bracelet to teleport herself and others.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That may be a bit of overkill.
    I think modifying the blacklight ray a bit so it's more powerful and making her goggles capable of night vision would be sufficient, plus maybe "borrowing" Michael Holt's devices that could make her appear invisible to surveillance cameras and other technological monitoring equipment.
    All interesting ideas.

When I compare Phantom Lady to Nightshade, I find Nightshade more interesting because of her powers - darkness and teleportation. How does Phantom Lady become distinct and interesting? Not with blacklight and night-vision googles. Doing what had been done before will get what was gotten before.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'd be most intrigued by a combo of devices and powers.
    So am I.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Giving Phantom Lady powers isn't suddenly going to make her an A-list character, so just stick with what worked since 1941.

Also, bring back Dee Tyler!
    I agree...if not broken, don't fix.

Phantom Lady is now appearing nowhere.

It's broken; fix it.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 07-16-2017 at 07:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

It's broken; fix it.
    Yes, indeed it's broken. Even after repeated attempts with the Freedom Fighters and elsewhere, the character isn't looked on as viable.

Ergo, it's not the powers. It's the approach.

Folks need to think more about the reason for a Phantom Lady. Why does she exist? What niche does she fill? What was her appeal before? How can that translate into the now?

I don't think straightforward superheroics is the answer for this. Phantom Lady is supposed to be sexy...use her in a way that makes sense for her to be sexy and alluring. Maybe a psychological thriller, where she uses her abilities to spook the bad guy? Maybe it's time to be more noire-ish, to deal with sexuality and elusivesiveness? But pick something other than straight up costumes and fisticuffs, because she's not making a mark there...

It's broken; fix it.
    Well, the same is true for the all the Freedom Fighters outside The Ray,with the Ray Terril version appearing in the JLA with virtually little ties to the original group.

I'm sure a lot of people probably missed Uncle Sam making a small appearance in that Suicide Squad: El Diablo mini.

Though maybe she'll show up in the upcoming CWSeed series...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Yes, indeed it's broken. Even after repeated attempts with the Freedom Fighters and elsewhere, the character isn't looked on as viable.

Folks need to think more about the reason for a Phantom Lady. Why does she exist? What niche does she fill? What was her appeal before? How can that translate into the now?

I don't think straightforward superheroics is the answer for this. Phantom Lady is supposed to be sexy...use her in a way that makes sense for her to be sexy and alluring. Maybe a psychological thriller, where she uses her abilities to spook the bad guy? Maybe it's time to be more noire-ish, to deal with sexuality and elusivesiveness? But pick something other than straight up costumes and fisticuffs, because she's not making a mark there...
    I wish we could just like posts. Yours is great!

BANNED

I think Dark Horse's GHOST is a modern reworking of Phantom Lady...and it's certainly had a bit more staying power than DC's iteration. You probably want to go in a different direction, but mysterious and sexy is the way you want to go (and you don't want to substitute a skimpy costume for sexiness).

DC's focus is primarily on Batman and family...followed by Superman and Wonder Woman...followed distantly by other Justice League. That hierarchy will remain for the foreseeable future.

Batwoman, Batgirl, Huntress, Catwoman, Vicki Vale and Lois Lane are all non-powered. They could capture interest too. What makes Phantom Lady distinct?

I think that is a good suggestion.
    Shouldn't the fact she's NOT those women be distinction enough? Truth is people care more for execution rather than originality. Though in Phantom Lady's case whether through powers or tools, her being able to turn invisible or intangible should definitely get some attention.

This could work. But it is an idea that really needs to be handled with the utmost care. Would you happen to have a particular writer in mind to handle this take?

Astonishing Member

Shouldn't the fact she's NOT those women be distinction enough?
    No.

Truth is people care more for execution rather than originality. Though in Phantom Lady's case whether through powers or tools, her being able to turn invisible or intangible should definitely get some attention.
    see gwangung's posts. (The Ghost one is good!)

I think Dark Horse's GHOST is a modern reworking of Phantom Lady...and it's certainly had a bit more staying power than DC's iteration. You probably want to go in a different direction, but mysterious and sexy is the way you want to go (and you don't want to substitute a skimpy costume for sexiness).
    see gwangung's posts. (The Ghost one is good!)
    Only if you consider having a total of fourteen issues since she returned in 2012 to be a model worth basing a character revamp on.
    (Besides, they already had a Ghost-like character with Veil in the Batman books.)

BANNED

This could work. But it is an idea that really needs to be handled with the utmost care. Would you happen to have a particular writer in mind to handle this take?
    Have't the foggiest. At least, I don't see anyone that leaps out at me. Maybe a Hannigan-like writer that can do justice to a solo like this (because this kind of reinvention needs to be established in a solo title before it gets done in a team title).

Hm. Make use of the Senator's daughter background and DC. investigate political corruption. Maybe investigate human trafficking. Crosses over into espionage easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Only if you consider having a total of fourteen issues since she returned in 2012 to be a model worth basing a character revamp on.
    (Besides, they already had a Ghost-like character with Veil in the Batman books.)
    Well, I'm an old fart, so I was thinking of the 1990s series more than anything else. But you need something else than just a skimpy costume to redo Phantom Lady....

. . . Well, I'm an old fart, so I was thinking of the 1990s series more than anything else. But you need something else than just a skimpy costume to redo Phantom Lady....
    Why?

That would look good to me.

She'd be an interesting addition to the JSA.

Better yet, give me a Phantom Lady, Mr. Terrific, Black Canary, and Dr. Mid-Nite title. A good quartet against crime.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    She'd be an interesting addition to the JSA.

Better yet, give me a Phantom Lady, Mr. Terrific, Black Canary, and Dr. Mid-Nite title. A good quartet against crime.
    If we're going for the Stormy Knight version who was a physicist, she could make for a good partner for other science based heroes like Kimiyo Hoshi or Ted Kord. I assume you're talking about the modern version of the JSA not the originals re the version that has Michael Holt as Mr Terrific for instance.