Spectacular Member The Mary Janes's Avatar

Default The Current Direction of Spider-Gwen

Here's an interesting article written by Riley Silverman over at Blastr.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-26/marv...cs-spider-gwen

The article speaks about an ongoing downwards trend in Earth-65's Gwen Stacy in regards to her individual story and place in the Marvel Universe. I agree with almost everything that was written; I haven't picked up a single issue of the book since Miles Morales was confirmed to first crossover. Anyone else read Spider-Gwen and feel the same or different?

Niffleheim

What shipping? That was just a cute little arc to capitalize on the characters' popularity. Miles is getting a new girlfriend in Spider-Men II crossover so all this worrying is for naught. I guess ppl will need to scapegoat someone else for Gwenny's woes
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-29-2017 at 03:33 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

The book is called Spider-Gwen.
    Having a weird version of Spider-Man built on Gwen Stacy is the name of the book.

But I agree the book went astray since her dad went to prison. But I felt with the last issue I read the story came back (event trough it may wanders again with Wolverine 65).

The constant universe hopping is what killed the book for me, I had no desire to see 616 characters in that book and it seems like it's not to uncommon right now between that spider-women crossover and miles showing up.

Spider-Gwen is still my favorite 'Spidy' character, and I love her solo but I did not care for the Miles crossover. I would say that since her dad went to prison her solo story has been a bit meh, but I am still enjoying it and there is a lot they can do with the whole 'Working for Matt/Kingpin' angle.

I do hope it lasts a bit longer. It would be such a shame for her to disappear into the folds of the MU and be forgotten like so many other characters have been...

I will agree that after the Weapon Of Choice arc, the book screeched to a halt with the 3 holiday one-offs and the Sitting In A Tree crossover back-to-back. They were fun stories and I enjoyed them, but they didn't really progress the story at all. That said, now that we're getting into this very promising looking Predators and Gwenom, I think the book will be getting back on track.

The whole "shipping" thing isn't a problem since it was only for the one arc, and like someone mentioned, Miles is getting another girlfriend soon anyway.

I personally like seeing the different interpretations of other characters and how they are in Earth-65, mostly because I think they're used really well, and the ones that feel the least changed, like Curt Conners Lizard and Kraven aren't there for that long anyway. I think the approach Latour & Rodriguez take to these new versions of the characters is what sells it, that they essentially just go nuts and even poke fun at themselves sometimes at how on the nose they are with some of these character changes, and retroactively, they convince me to buy into the universe. Like how much they're winking at their audience that Det. Ben Grimm is in a rock-hard cast, or Elsa Brock created the symbiote.

While I don't mind her dimension hopping, and in fact I want to see more of it since I really enjoy her interacting with those other characters, I think like the article mentioned, it'd be best if she did it outside of her own book, like in Clone Conspiracy or Web-Warriors, so that it doesn't affect her main story (I'm gonna keep saying it, make a Spider-Women ongoing!)

Incredible Member

Not a big fan of the losing the powers part. That's for sure.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Spider-Gwen has been a disappointment for me from the beginning, tbh. I LOVE her concept. I really, really do. I love the idea of her world and everything about it, but the execution of her story just never impressed me in any major way. There were some issues here and there that were good, but the overall story just makes me feel... indifferent. At this point I only continue reading it because I like to see the alternative versions of the characters in her world and how they're different from the main universe. I also love The Mary Janes.

When it comes to writing and story, Gwenpool has been surprisingly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    The constant universe hopping is what killed the book for me, I had no desire to see 616 characters in that book and it seems like it's not to uncommon right now between that spider-women crossover and miles showing up.
    At a certain point, it just becomes too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    What shipping? That was just a cute little arc to capitalize on the characters' popularity. Miles is getting a new girlfriend in Spider-Men II crossover so all this worrying is for naught. I guess ppl will need to scapegoat someone else for Gwenny's woes
    That's 1 of a few other problems that the book has, and it's not as detrimental as the others, to be honest. Obviously the inclusion of Miles isn't what started the downward trend on the story's progression, but it didn't lift it up either, in my opinion.