Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Alien Covenant Is Not Doing That Good. Is There A Chance To Reconsider Alien 5?

Alien Covenant is out there for some time now and the feedback is not what the producers had in mind both financially and critically.
    What do you believe this means for the franchise?
    Will they give Scott one last chance in order to finish his story with Awakening?
    Will they reconsider and give Neil Blobcamp a shot for his proposed script or...
    They will pull the plug once and for all?

Astonishing Member

It possibly shows that prequels are over rated. Stars wars got away with it, because it's Star Wars, but I don't know if the audience s are that interested in the 'build up' when they know what's going to happen.

Mighty Member

the franchise will be fine. they'll keep churning them out just like those Transformers films.

to answer your other questions... no, no, and no.

the Xenomorph has a very loyal fanbase. it's basically a license to print money. while it's not at the same level as Star Wars or Star Trek there will always be somebody out there willing to pay money to see even more of them.

The only way this franchise gets back on track is to move away from prequels and start doing something different with the series. Alien and Aliens, really, are the only two great films of the series, and everything else is a deep step down from their. I have enjoyed Prometheus and Covenant well enough, but they don't stand up well against the first two.

I think the franchise would be well served to toss everything but the first two films and move forward from there. If that isn't viable, at the very least just continue forward from Resurrection. I also wish that, despite advances in modern technology, that the future films in this series would at least TRY to capture the aesthetic of the first films. Claustrophobic, dirty, retro tech in a world that is obviously not new and has been well worn.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Extraordinary Member

The problem is if you keep doing Alien and Aliens it turns into Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street and just becomes a shitty repetitive horror franchise. Scott at least has a vision. It's similar to the Terminator franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The problem is if you keep doing Alien and Aliens it turns into Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street and just becomes a shitty repetitive horror franchise. Scott at least has a vision. It's similar to the Terminator franchise.
    True, but how many times can you honestly create a situation in which unsuspecting humans find themselves being isolated enough to make this premise work before the entire thing feels contrived anyway?

But that wasn't my point, really. I'm not suggesting it would be a good idea to just make the same two movies on repeat. I'm saying that maybe it is time to try something original with the premise that plays forward the franchise while still adhering to its style and setting.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    True, but how many times can you honestly create a situation in which unsuspecting humans find themselves being isolated enough to make this premise work before the entire thing feels contrived anyway?

But that wasn't my point, really. I'm not suggesting it would be a good idea to just make the same two movies on repeat. I'm saying that maybe it is time to try something original with the premise that plays forward the franchise while still adhering to its style and setting.
    Prometheus and Alien Covenant were original though. They were prequels, but they were a more meta creationist story than a straight up thriller.?

One more flub like this, and I doubt the possibility of any movies with a Xenomorph happening.

I didn't like Alien Covenant found the characters annoyingly dumb and really I don't need to know the origins of everything with film series it's usually scary if I don't know. Just some aliens out the in space like the Xenomorph is more scary to me as just a force of nature than some stupid origin. It's like Rob Zombie's Halloween films which don't deserve all the hate they get the series was already **** by the time he came along and I liked his films if they weren't Michael Myers. A little boy from a stereo typical middle American family just snapping one day and starts killing and never speaking again is more scary than a past with domestic abuse or the cult crap from 6. I don't think this is the end of the Alien series Hollywood is all about franchises now and this will be resurrected even if it does bad it's if RS will be directing again or will they go with NB or someone else for a future film.

it was a good movie i just hope they can finish the prequel trilogy.

Ultimate Member

Alien Covenant got very good reviews but I didn't like it at all. It really fell back on some terrible horror movies tropes (like how unbelievably stupid the crew was).

I don't think Fox will stop making them though but a couple of Alien movies were disappointments (Alien 3, Alien Resurrection and now Alien Covenant).

Fox might want to re-think Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5.

The only thing that can save this franchise is Ripley. Fans will be drawn to this legendary character getting a proper send off and maybe passing the torch to a new female lead. Basically give it the Force Awakens treatment.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

After the reception Chappie got Neil Blomkamp got booted back to the minors as far as Hollywood is concerned. He is not getting another shot at a big studio picture until he proves himself on a few smaller projects again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    After the reception Chappie got Neil Blomkamp got booted back to the minors as far as Hollywood is concerned. He is not getting another shot at a big studio picture until he proves himself on a few smaller projects again.
    Blonkamp is probably DONE. After Elysium and Chappie, I'm believing to think District 9 was a fluke.

Incredible Member

bah chappie himself was the 2nd coming of johnny 5.

they just emphasized the wrong characters and ended on a story that was way cooler then the one they told.