Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    well, as soon as they declared that the engineers were basically human (or vice versa) that should have killed any hopes that they might be complex and intelligent. especially in light of how every human in Prometheus acts like a complete idiot. it's galling that we're supposedly being shown this thought-provoking and 'deep' film with Prometheus and it contents itself to glibly ask questions and act as if it should get credit for having answered them. seriously, it's hard to think of a more superficial and meaningless 'exploration' of life, death, belief, and unbelief in a horror film in recent memory. Prometheus had more plot holes and unmotivated acts than it did meaningful questions or interesting characters. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise if you combine Ridley Scott and Damon Lindeloff, though.

it also makes it hilarious that Scott contemptuously dismissed superhero films and said he would make something with a 'real story'. well... obviously that hasn't been happening too much these days. if he was making fantastic films I could forgive his sense of elitism. but based on what he's done in the last decade I can only laugh at him.
    Please tell me he didn't say this, lol.
    Funny how those attacking the superhero craze seem to have been eating crow. Stallone in Guardians, and even Simon Pegg, who criticized "geek culture", was put in front of Star Trek Beyond begging people not to pirate the movie, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Let's hope that they manage to step through it and if Blompcamp is out of the question then let's hope that Scott will manage to go back on track.
    Oh he won't so that's off the table.

If Blomkamp is out of the question...why not Cameron? What's interesting is the script for Alien 5 that Scott said he never saw, both Weaver and Cameron said they did and they liked it. If Cameron can't be lured back, maybe a decent director with Cameron producing could work.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Please tell me he didn't say this, lol.
    Funny how those attacking the superhero craze seem to have been eating crow. Stallone in Guardians, and even Simon Pegg, who criticized "geek culture", was put in front of Star Trek Beyond begging people not to pirate the movie, lol.
    yeah, he totally did.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...perhero-movies

“I can’t believe in the thin, gossamer tightrope of the non-reality of the situation of the superhero,”

“Blade Runner really is a comic strip when you think about it,” he said. “It’s a dark story told in an unreal world. You could almost put Batman or Superman in that world, that atmosphere, except I’d have a fucking good story, as opposed to no story!”

I mean, it would be one thing if he was consistently a great film maker. hell, it would be one thing if his films were consistently interesting. I dare people to tell me that "Prometheus" or "Alien: Covenant" had a better story than "Wonder Woman" or "Guardians of the Galaxy v2". he's just milking a worn-out franchise with lackluster prequels and sequels that fail to meet his standard of 'a fucking good story'. all atmosphere and high concept with bland, idiotic characters and a story that gets sacrificed in favor of jump scares, set design, and concept art. really, it shares all of the same dreadful shortcomings and excesses that a bad superhero film typically has.

I'd like to root for Scott, since he's made some fantastic films... but he pretty much deserves this. personally, I think you can make a great story in any genre. Western, Horror, Superheroes, Children's entertainment... if the level of artistic thought and craftsmanship is good it shouldn't matter what genre you're working in. hell, at this point, I would expect that "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" will probably be a better movie than "Prometheus" and everybody will KNOW it's a movie made for kids designed to promote toys. but I don't doubt that it will probably have better characterization and basic story-telling.
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 06-04-2017 at 03:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    One criticism I heard with the original prometheus movie was the engineers. These guys were basically like a creator race, essentially potential gods of mankind, and the moment humans interact with them directly on screen, these beings of incredibly complexity and intelligence and knowledge... it behaves no differently than the monster aliens. There was a massive sense of a lost opportunity to expand the franchise out to more than a mere monster movie. But that seems to be all it aspires to.
    I've always felt, that scene in Prometheus, the way I would have done it.

Engineer wakes up looks at the humans and David. Examines David, ignores Weyland, then simply walks off. That's kinda what a God would have done.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Oh he won't so that's off the table.

If Blomkamp is out of the question...why not Cameron? What's interesting is the script for Alien 5 that Scott said he never saw, both Weaver and Cameron said they did and they liked it. If Cameron can't be lured back, maybe a decent director with Cameron producing could work.
    Ι would be ecstatic to see Cameron back but the thing is... He has his hands full with his Space Pokahontas follow ups to go back to Aliens.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    these are all very well established franchises with a huge built-in audience. they are all more popular than the alien franchise with general audiences. so, not a huge surprise there.

even if the film did extremely well with critics and made good on it's money it would still make less money than any of the aforementioned films. horror and westerns are apparently pretty weak in terms of audience draw when compared to other films... even if they're spectacular and well-made examples of the genre.

I would be more surprised if Baywatch had made less money - putting Dwayne Johnson in an action-comedy seems to be a license to print money these days. especially if they're doing a spoof of a ridiculous, but popular TV show from years gone by.
    I did said that i saw logic with these films, didn't i?
    From my part, i was surprised to see Baywatch making this far. That piece of crap is unwatchable and pays zero respect to the source material.

BANNED

Ι would be ecstatic to see Cameron back but the thing is... He has his hands full with his Space Pokahontas follow ups to go back to Aliens.

Maybe they should use the original plan they had for Alien 3, and have it take place on Earth. Mankind's last stand against the Xenomorph would be epic in the right hands.

BANNED

I did said that i saw logic with these films, didn't i?
    From my part, i was surprised to see Baywatch making this far. That piece of crap is unwatchable and pays zero respect to the source material.
    lol it's baywatch how much respect is deserved?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    lol it's baywatch how much respect is deserved?
    More than that garbage could offer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Little Boots View Post
    Maybe they should use the original plan they had for Alien 3, and have it take place on Earth. Mankind's last stand against the Xenomorph would be epic in the right hands.
    Αre you reffering to the script with Hicks and Bishop taking the lead and the human/Alien hybrid?
    It was a crime that they rejected it, especially after how meh Alien 3 turned out to be.

I kind of like the Dark Horse followups (Which were kind of clumsily re-edited after "Alien3") which had Newt and Hicks on Earth recovering from the events of ALIENS but thrown back into the mix when the Aliens start to show up on Earth; and with Ripley joining another crew of marines, unfortunately abandoning them for some time until "Earth War". Although there's been a few missteps, I liked the direction Dark Horse took with the franchise for the most part.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Here's the problem:

Alien was a horror film
    Aliens was the Space Marines responding to a horror film villain

All the other alien movies, including the prequels - naval gazing.

To please an audience fully again, they need to get back to basics and stop trying to understand the goofy acid-spewing aliens as if they are some kind of deep concept. Newsflash - they are not, they are just cool.

If you run across a grizzly bear in the woods, do you sit and ponder why the bear exists in the first place? Try to understand the bear? No, you freaking get out of there before it decides to tear you a new one. No one wants to "get to know" the evil Aliens better.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-06-2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Αre you reffering to the script with Hicks and Bishop taking the lead and the human/Alien hybrid?
    It was a crime that they rejected it, especially after how meh Alien 3 turned out to be.

I think that was the one, but I know they had a full blown war with earth fighting off the Alien. And 3, in it's own right, was a decent horror movie. It just had the misfortune to follow two of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I kind of like the Dark Horse followups (Which were kind of clumsily re-edited after "Alien3") which had Newt and Hicks on Earth recovering from the events of ALIENS but thrown back into the mix when the Aliens start to show up on Earth; and with Ripley joining another crew of marines, unfortunately abandoning them for some time until "Earth War". Although there's been a few missteps, I liked the direction Dark Horse took with the franchise for the most part.

I'm surprised they haven't used one of the Dark horse comics as a basis for a movie. They would probably have better luck adapting them into an interesting movie.

He's taking so long with those follow-ups I've made peace with the fact I'll probably have my great grandkids tell me on my deathbed that part 2 has finally come out and then I die 2 seconds later.