Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who is the Jason Todd of the Superverse?

Or the closest match out of the various Derivative Supermen that we have seen so far? Or is there no one even close?

Lar Gand and Jimmy Olsen combined would/should match Dick Grayson.

Kon-El matches Tim Drake.

And Jon Kent matches Damian Wayne.

But who, if anyone, in the Superverse matches Jason Todd in the Batverse?

Let's discuss the possibilities ...

A. Bizarro.

Would never have considered him until the recent Wild Trinity of him, Jason and Artemis as the Outlaws. But, damn, that's a strong case.

B. Lor-Zod, aka Chris Kent.

Here for a short period then wiped out for a long period.

C. Superboy-Prime.

The closest match, imho. Debuted before the Post-COIE universe began, disappeared for decades, came back evil ... but way way way more evil than Todd ever was. Could he ever somehow be redeemed (looks at Harley Quinn) ... ok, not impossible, just implausible.

D. Someone else existing but not mentioned.

Please advise.

E. No one currently existing is close enough to be compared to Jason Todd.

So, if we even wanted one, they'd have to be made from scratch.

What say you?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bizzaro probably is the closest comparison. Both abandoned by unfortunate circumstances, now on a road to redemption.

There is none.

Astonishing Member

I was dying laughing at the idea that in the 80s, everyone thought Jimmy Olsen was too sweet and too "grown up" to be Superman's pal anymore so they kicked him up to some other comic book feature and then introduced Tommy Bolton, who was dark-haired and dark-eyed and was an 'up-and-coming' newspaper photographer JUST LIKE JIMMY USED TO BE! and he became Superman's new pal, but like a year later he got retconned into being the Darker Version of Jimmy, who looked exactly like Jimmy but became Superman's pal by stealing Old Jimmy's Signal-Watch so he could jack Superman's cape.

Eventually by 1989 obviously he's killed by Brainiac on a desert planet. But in the mid-2000s he comes back and we discover that I dunno, Granny Goodness or somebody, revived him.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

A "forgotten" street crimefighter who came up under Superman and had to bounce back through tremendous injury. I'd say Gangbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    A "forgotten" street crimefighter who came up under Superman and had to bounce back through tremendous injury. I'd say Gangbuster.
    I was thinking Gangbuster too.

I think there's an argument for Power Girl, actually.

She's part of the Super-family, but is sort of a distant cousin (pun intended) who doesn't interact with the rest very often. She's got an attitude compared to the others. She's well known for a particular part of her costume (boob window, red helmet). And she spends more time with a team than she does solo (JSA, Outlaws).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It's Lar Gand.

Jason's death was Bruce's greatest failure. Kal's greatest failure is that he poisoned his brother and then despite trying for the rest of his life, he could never cure him. He himself doomed Lar to a thousand years in the Phantom Zone.

Poor Mon-El. At least like Jason he eventually comes back and is a total badass.

Also though, I do like the Bizarro argument. Whether that pans out depends on whether later writers continue Outlaws' awesome treatment of the character.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Um cant believe no one has said it yet but the answer is clearly Eradicator.

Power Girl

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto1996 View Post
    Power Girl
    I dunno, isn't Power Girl sort of more of a Bette Kane Batgirl comparison? I mean apart from that she's also just the same person as Supergirl, just with Earth-2 nonsense tacked on, she's sort of the forgotten/Earth-2 consigned/not the iconic -Girl.

I'm kind of past Power Girl. I mean I love Karen and I even love recent stories featuring her, but she's just adult Kara with some multiverse crap tacked on. Graduate Kara to Power Girl and give us a fresh young Supergirl, or schism the concepts again, maybe? Tonya's a pretty cool Power Girl, for instance.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

It could be argued a bunch of ways. I'd probably lean on Eradicator myself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Um cant believe no one has said it yet but the answer is clearly Eradicator.
    He's the Superman equivalent to Azrael.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I was dying laughing at the idea that in the 80s, everyone thought Jimmy Olsen was too sweet and too "grown up" to be Superman's pal anymore so they kicked him up to some other comic book feature and then introduced Tommy Bolton, who was dark-haired and dark-eyed and was an 'up-and-coming' newspaper photographer JUST LIKE JIMMY USED TO BE! and he became Superman's new pal, but like a year later he got retconned into being the Darker Version of Jimmy, who looked exactly like Jimmy but became Superman's pal by stealing Old Jimmy's Signal-Watch so he could jack Superman's cape.

Eventually by 1989 obviously he's killed by Brainiac on a desert planet. But in the mid-2000s he comes back and we discover that I dunno, Granny Goodness or somebody, revived him.
    Lol please tell me you're lying....

I'd say Power Girl's counterpart is clearly Helena Wayne, aka Huntress of Earth-2.

There's really no betrayed/abandoned anger at all in Mon-El, esp since Post-COIE, he was never placed in the Phantom Zone at all. Did New52 and/or Rebirth bring that aspect of his origin back? How long were Lar Gand and Dick Grayson teammates on the Justice League together that one run?

Eradicator = Azrael. I support this, esp with the multiple characters for each.

Gangbuster was never a Derivative Superman nor a sidekick of any kind to Clark. His Batverse equivalent may not exist, let alone be Jason Todd.

I keep coming back to Superboy-Prime. Can he be rehabilitated? Can he get a non-Clark identity?