iMan 42s

Question Why is the Clone Wars TV show good?

So I’m more than a little frustrated with the Clone Wars TV show as I can’t seem to understand the appeal of it. I keep trying to enjoy the series for what it is but I can’t seem to continue watching for long and for something that eats up a lot of time within the new canon I should have some familiarity with it right?
    Let me just get this out of the way; I don’t like Ahsoka Tano. I genuinely don’t and that extends farther than just the first few seasons. I can’t seem to get invested with her and Anakin probably because I know it has no bearing on the movies. In the overall plot, Ahsoka doesn’t matter. While that’s not to say I can’t enjoy tertiary characters (I was fine with the original Starkiller so why is Ahsoka a problem?) I don’t get the appeal and I don’t know Ahsoka’s personality. As far as I can tell she is the plucky sidekick who has an arc every so often but more of a story arc as opposed to character arc (no I haven’t seen her walk away from the jedi yet but something that important and so late should never come last).
    Also the show makes a lot of people seem inept like when Cad Bane is running through a Republic ship hangar (happens to be able to pilot a republic ship) and nobody stops him y’know, like all those clones with guns. That army that’s standing right there, or the jedi still aboard. Even at points when they know there is sith and or separatist activity on Mustafar and Anakin never thinks that maybe, just maybe that this refinery world should be looked into by the Republic or inform the Jedi this happened, and if he did clearly did nothing about it. The clones don’t even get off free as within a few episodes I watched recently with Commander Cody ordering his troops to run into a hail of blaster fire.., and they do. It’s only for the plot armor that these guys survive as a plan that dumb is always going to kill troops. While I can't remember the episode, the Republic can’t land troops due to an Ion cannon. Why can’t they land somewhere else and ride up to them in the ship out of the cannon’s range or bring one of those giant tanks with them? Sure they have hostages but what’s really stopping them from going up to the encampment with the turbo tank and firing on the troops then? Why risk trooper’s lives on foot when everyone is safe in a tank out of harm’s way, and can take out the enemy with minimal risk?
    I just don’t get the appeal of the show and why people approach me like the stereotypical Brony telling me “you didn’t give the show a chance”. I’ve rewatched up into the final season a few times now. I’m sorry I don’t get it. So I ask the good citizens of this Star Wars forum to answer my question-
    “Why is Star Wars: The Clone Wars, good?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

If these are things that bother you, how on earth did you ever make it through the movies?

The point (well, one of the points) of Ahsoka is that she is a far better reason for why Anakin lost faith in the Jedi order and fell to the Dark Side than anything in the actual prequels.
    Also, her walking away wasn't supposed to come last. Disney bought the property and ended it prematurely.

And if you need to land in, say, Brussels, which is well defended by an Ion cannon, and you are pressed for time, you can't land in Beijing instead and make your way back overland.

The clones with plot armour, well, almost all of the named clones in the series spoilers:
    get killed off by the end of the series.
    end of spoilers And they're super soldier characters with borderline superhuman stats. Nobody complains when Batman does stuff like that.
    Last edited by Carabas; 06-03-2017 at 02:30 PM.

The show's first two seasons are a bit iffy, but things get better in the third season IMO. The somewhat goofy Jedi shoulder armor (Yeah, I know it's in part meant to evoke Vader) is dropped, and the characters more closely resemble their movie counterparts. It also has one of the more interesting storylines-The "Mortis" arc which saw the return of Pernilla August and Liam Neeson, raised some interesting questions about the nature of the force and had Anakin become Darth Vader a bit earlier(!) although it's all solved via a reset button of sorts...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It's so well appreciated cause it literally saved the prequel era from being an absolute waste of time.

One word : development.

It developed Anakin and Obi-wan friendship, it gave A LOT of character growth to Anakin and hell, they even also made episodes about the separatists, how that confederation worked, the people behind, what were their positions and opinions which i found to be very interesting.

Plus a lot of side characters were brought on the table. Very cool characters for many of them.

That show made the prequels era so much richer.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

One of the best reasons why it is good.......

spoilers:
    The return of Darth Maul
    end of spoilers
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    One of the best reasons why it is good.......

spoilers:
    The return of Darth Maul
    end of spoilers
    I was sceptical about that, but yeah. The final confrontation with Palpatine was better and more epic than anything Lucas ever did with either character in the movies.

The movie, Season 1, and parts of Season 2 are quite a slog to get through, but at a certain point things do look up and change for the better, with characters and aspects getting the focus that the prequel movies either couldn't or wouldn't do, and giving the characters made for the show a lot of development. Ahsoka is definitely one of the best examples of that, starting out as Anakin-Lite but becoming her own character and woman as the show progresses and by the end of it.

Empty is thy hand!

It's just not very good imo, and the Clone Wars era is my favorite in Star Wars. There's a nice chunk of really good episodes, but the majority of it really is just violence for violence's sake (which is a big reason why "fans" prefer it to the prequel films). If you want real depth from that era, I would suggest a few of the novels and Republic/Clone Wars comic books (anything from John Ostrander is gold).

Rebels is even worse, but I'll always be grateful for the brief duel between Obi-Wan and Maul on Tatooine. It was pretty much perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    but the majority of it really is just violence for violence's sake (which is a big reason why "fans" prefer it to the prequel films)
    It is very action oriented true enough and the droids do provide an endless flow of targets for the jedis to destroy without any moral issues, but i never felt watching this stuff that the violence depicted was overly gratuitous.

Now Rebels i agree a bit more with you.

Without the clones wars series the Anakin backstory would had been ruined IMO the prequel films portrayed him as a whiny brat and I never bought his "friendship" with Obi-Wan all they did were fight 90% of the time while telling use about these adventures they had and friendship they built and talked behind each other backs as soon as one left the room. It was the clone wars TV show that makes me believe when sir Alec Guinness said "And he was a good friend".
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-14-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I'd say it's better to judge the show on an arc-to-arc basis; TCW is almost insanely jittery in tone, quality, and imagination. There's a world of difference between the Carnage Of Krell arc (aka, Star Wars does 'Nam) and the Padawan arc (aw, look at the widdle Jedi students!) or between the Mandalorian Academy arc (aka, don't mess with the Duchess's tea!) and the stand alone A Friend in Need (aka, Seriously, the Death Watch are EVIL!).

I personally love the episodes that focus on the Clones, the Mandos, or on thriller style stories. Those are arguably better than some of the movies. But others are just uninteresting and boring to me.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP