Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Man Buys Ticket to Women-Only Wonder Woman Screening, Internet Loses its Mind

Man Buys Ticket to Women-Only Wonder Woman Screening, Internet Loses its Mind.

This whole thing seems silly to me on both sides, but I have to admit the author of the above piece (who's pretty [if not overly] snarky herself) does make one interesting (if snarky) point: "No one bothered to ask Miller if he’s attending the screening as a man who self-identifies as a woman. The heteronormative assumptions are flat out RUDE."

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Man Buys Ticket to Women-Only Wonder Woman Screening, Internet Loses its Mind.

This whole thing seems silly to me on both sides, but I have to admit the author of the above piece (who's pretty [if not overly] snarky herself) does make one interesting (if snarky) point: "No one bothered to ask Miller if he’s attending the screening as a man who self-identifies as a woman. The heteronormative assumptions are flat out RUDE."
    Do you think the Alamo movie chain will do a men only for early screenings for Thor this November?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Do you think the Alamo movie chain will do a men only for early screenings for Thor this November?
    Why would they? And maybe...

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...f-wonder-woman
    Last edited by RealWonderman; 05-30-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

It doesn't take much to make the internet lose its mind. And if this had happened here in California, it probably would have been assumed that the "man" identified as female, and no one would have batted an eye...

My favorite quote from the article:
    That argument does, though, gloss over the fact that, while barging into a space you’ve been asked to stay out of just because that request made you feel briefly tiny and weak doesn’t make you a criminal, it does make you an insecure piece of crap.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Here's the thing.

It's not discrimination.

Are they stopping men from buying tickets to see Wonder Woman?

Nope.

Does Alamo offer the ability to host private parties?

Yup.

Did Alamo choose to host a private party for one screening of a movie?

Yup.

Guys just need to get over it and move on rather than try to spoil a single screening on a single night meant to celebrate women.

The Alamo's responses to the upset commenters were pretty great.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Why wouldn't they?

I got no problem with a woman's only screening, but let us see if they reverse the situation and do a private screening for men only, for a movie like the new Thor coming out.

I am thinking that is not going to happen.

At least the Alamo movie theatre got a lot of free publicity for their stunt.

BANNED

I identify as a billionaire. Regions Bank, however, is currently oppressing the me.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 05-30-2017 at 12:24 PM. Reason: language, please

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Here's the thing.

It's not discrimination.

Nope.

Yup.

Yup.

Guys just need to get over it and move on rather than try to spoil a single screening on a single night meant to celebrate women.
    I agree guys need to get over it but your particular reasoning is legally specious. If Alamo's truly hosting a private party they wouldn't be selling tickets to the public (including this guy). By selling tickets to the public (or one segment thereof) they are bound by the same rules as any other "place of public accomodation," and can't discriminate. It would be like somebody trying to get around letting African-Americans into a movie screening by saying it was a "private party" for whites.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Here's the thing.

It's not discrimination.

Nope.

Yup.

Yup.

I'm sorry but you don't fight inequality by creating more of it. By only allowing women into this screening, they are discriminating against all people who don't identify as women. What about the gay men who have admired and supported Wonder Woman for decades? What if writers such as George Perez, Phil Jimenez, or Greg Rucka(all of which have poured their heart & soul into Diana) wanted to attend this screening? I'm sorry but being told "Sorry, you're not welcome because you don't identify as a woman" is a disappointment IMO. I also don't think that Wonder Woman would approve of this discriminatory policy if she were real either. She has always advocated for inclusion, not exclusion.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 05-30-2017 at 03:43 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

It's just one screening. WB should be pleased because it ended up being a solid publicity stunt

The biggest reaction you'd get from me from the whole deal is that, when looking carefully, the move was counter to what the character of Wonder Woman stands for. So I don't consider it this awesome statement, not in the slightest bit. That's just how I feel. She's about inclusiveness, not exclusion. The Amazons are about separation, and that's one of the beauties of WW in that she is one Amazon that very much isn't. But that its going as far as its going, I dunno. All I know is that if this were happening anywhere near me, I'd just go to another theater near me that welcomed me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-30-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I agree guys need to get over it but your particular reasoning is legally specious. If Alamo's truly hosting a private party they wouldn't be selling tickets to the public (including this guy). By selling tickets to the public (or one segment thereof) they are bound by the same rules as any other "place of public accomodation," and can't discriminate. It would be like somebody trying to get around letting African-Americans into a movie screening by saying it was a "private party" for whites.
    Reverse sexism isn't the same as racism, but I see where you're coming from.

And are people actually saying Thor is to men as Wonder Woman is to women?

There isn't a male icon that, imo, is anything like Wonder Woman, and again, nobody was stopping anyone from buying a ticket and seeing the movie. Just not in that one room.

Personally, if a guy buys a ticket to that screening, I'd just show him to another room and let him watch the movie by himself

The interesting thing is that I've read about this on CNN, WaPo, Fox News, Salon, etc., and not a single article over the past week has called the legality of this into question, so I'm going to go with 'yes, it's legal.'

As Alamo puts it, it's a celebration (and it sold out both times, so clearly there are women who want this)

Mighty Member

I don't care if its legal or not but I'm sure there is nothing illegal about a woman's only movie session. They should have just left the theater alone and let them have their showing instead of inciting unnecessary drama for the sake of it.