Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    As Alamo puts it, it's a celebration (and it sold out both times, so clearly there are women who want this)

Are these women subjects of Queen Clea or Azzarello's Amazons?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

I see & agree with both sides of this debate, but I'm leaning more towards Gaelforce's opinion. I don't think that the theater had meant to make this controversial (though one could argue that they did because of that whole "bad publicity is actually good publicity" thing), I think that they simply just wanted one night to be a girl's night out showing is all. It's like if a new "Sex and the City" film had came out or a new "Magic Mike" film had came out, I personally would not see a problem if for just one night only a theater had done like a special girls night out theme event for those films (men who identify themselves as women should be able attend too as well).

I think this event is especially important because of the magnitude of what Wonder Woman means to women. Her character transcends comics in that she is an icon of feminism. She is the premiere superheroine in both mainstream media & in comic books. This is more than just a movie, it's like an epic event (for lack of much better words). We Wonder Woman fans have been waiting for this film (for the premiere superheroine to finally get her own live-action film) for decades, so I don't think that I need to go into great detail in explaining why this film is so important to us, but it is also an extremely important film for women in general too as well given that Wonder Woman is an icon of feminism. This movie is for our fandom, women, & little girls as to what that 1st Avengers film was for comic book fans as a whole (as a live-action, crossover, comic book superhero, teamup film had never been done before). Given that I don't see the harm in having just one showing for a reason like that, but I also do agree that men who identify as women should not be excluded from that either too as well.

This film is also extremely important for the fate of future, potential, superheroine films too as well, but that is also something that I feel like I don't need to go into great detail with.
    Last edited by 7-Love; 05-30-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7-Love View Post
    I see & agree with both sides of this debate, but I'm leaning more towards Gaelforce's opinion. I don't think that the theater had meant to make this controversial (though one could argue that they did because of that whole "bad publicity is actually good publicity" thing), I think that they simply just wanted one night to be a girl's night out showing is all. It's like if a new "Sex and the City" film had came out or a new "Magic Mike" film had came out, I personally would not see a problem if for just one night only a theater had done like a special girls night out theme event for those films (men who identify themselves as women should be able attend too as well).

I think this event is especially important because of the magnitude of what Wonder Woman means to women. Her character transcends comics in that she is an icon of feminism. She is the premiere superheroine in both mainstream media & in comic books. This is more than just a movie, it's like an epic event (for lack of much better words). We Wonder Woman fans have been waiting for this film (for the premiere superheroine to finally get her own live-action film) for decades, so I don't think that I need to go into great detail in explaining why this film is so important to us, but it is also an extremely important film for women in general too as well given that Wonder Woman is an icon of feminism. This movie is for our fandom, women, & little girls as to what that 1st Avengers film was for comic book fans as a whole (as a live-action, crossover, superhero, teamup film had never been done before). Given that I don't see the harm in having just one showing for a reason like that, but I also agree that men who identify as women should not be excluded either as well.

This film is also extremely important for the fate of future, potential, superheroine films too as well, but that is also something that I feel like I don't need to go into great detail with.

I don't know the owners/operators of this theatre but even though I don't like their decision, I haven't seen anything to suggest that they made this decision with malicious intent. I just don't think their decision sends the right message in the end.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I don't know the owners/operators of this theatre but even though I don't like their decision, I haven't seen anything to suggest that they made this decision with malicious intent. I just don't think their decision sends the right message in the end.
    I agree that this should've been handled a lot better. But like Gaelforce said it was a single night meant to celebrate women. It's not as if all of the showings for the film are going to be specifically just for women only. They are a business after all at the end of the day, so naturally they are going to want to get as many butts into seats & as much $$$ as they can out of the film.
    Last edited by 7-Love; 05-30-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Would any of you care if the Alamo was showing an ladies-only viewing of Beaches or Waiting to Exhale?

Ok, Ok I guess but how would you guys feel if MOS 2 first viewing was male only?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Ok, Ok I guess but how would you guys feel if MOS 2 first viewing was male only?
    Eww

(10char)

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Eww

(10char)
    If Alamo wants to do a 'men's night' where one screen of one show on one night is only for guys?

More power to 'em

Incredible Member

I think (Based on what has been said in the comment section in th BC artice) what gets people is perceived the element of hypocrisy behind it.Given that the side that is defending this are usually the ones that frown upon a private business turning away customers based on things like gender or sex.Even for one night

Personally I think that people need to make up there minds on whether or not it is 'right' for private business to chose who they serve

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Man Buys Ticket to Women-Only Wonder Woman Screening, Internet Loses its Mind.

This whole thing seems silly to me on both sides, but I have to admit the author of the above piece (who's pretty [if not overly] snarky herself) does make one interesting (if snarky) point: "No one bothered to ask Miller if he’s attending the screening as a man who self-identifies as a woman. The heteronormative assumptions are flat out RUDE."
    So she seems to believe that Movie Tavern Alamo Drafthouse is to be scorned for wanting to host a women-only event and getting upset when a man who may or may not identify as a woman (it hasn't been revealed yet) attends.

I don't even know what to think, much less say.

Don Cheadle summed it up nicely for me:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000063

Hoping some guy tries to attend and films the experience on YouTube. Please happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    If Alamo wants to do a 'men's night' where one screen of one show on one night is only for guys?

More power to 'em
    Nice. But I feel like people will still complain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I think (Based on what has been said in the comment section in th BC artice) what gets people is perceived the element of hypocrisy behind it.Given that the side that is defending this are usually the ones that frown upon a private business turning away customers based on things like gender or sex.Even for one night

Personally I think that people need to make up there minds on whether or not it is 'right' for private business to chose who they serve
    Maybe I can go into a restaurant with no shirt or shoes and identify as someone fully dressed? *Bracing for impact*

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

It'd be hilarious if the guy bought the ticket by mistake.