Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

And even if a person was turned away, big deal! How is this going to affect your manhood? How is this going to disenfranchise you or put you at a disadvantage in society? Do you think you are defending men's rights here when you talk about discrimination? Like I said before, there is no such thing as men's rights, because every single facet of society was designed to please the masculine gender. So a bunch of women want to watch Wonder Woman by themselves, whats the big deal?
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 05-31-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    The law for many years in US has treated all people as equal regardless of race, colour or creed.
    Ah, that explains it. You think the playing field in America is level for everyone, when it never has been, and likely never will be. The law may be designed with good intentions but is far too often applied differently to different people.

But that's off topic. Its one theater, for one showing of one movie. Nothing more. In (checks watch) 31 hours, this will be a moot point, as everyone will be able to buy a ticket to see the movie.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 05-31-2017 at 02:14 PM.

You're very judgmental about a bloke that you know nothing about...except he wanted to go to a film.
    i know plenty about him already because i live in nyc where that alamo is placed. i have been to that alamo, and while it's nice, it's not the best theater around nor the most popular.

i know that out of all the options to see wonder woman, alamo is the LEAST attractive to most because it doesn't offer 3D or IMAX showings. i know that that man could have literally picked any other theater in the entire city at any time to watch that film. even if that man wanted to see that exact movie at that exact theater, nothing was stopping him from selecting another showtime.

i know plenty about that man already and so do you, quite frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No person was turned away.
    Did he get the ticket he wanted, without being hassled?

Was the cinema planning to turn him away?

Think you're being a wee bit pedantic. It really doesn't effect the core issue: the cinema was discriminating against him.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i know plenty about him already because i live in nyc where that alamo is placed. i have been to that alamo, and while it's nice, it's not the best theater around nor the most popular.

i know that out of all the options to see wonder woman, alamo is the LEAST attractive to most because it doesn't offer 3D or IMAX showings. i know that that man could have literally picked any other theater in the entire city at any time to watch that film. even if that man wanted to see that exact movie at that exact theater, nothing was stopping him from selecting another showtime.

i know plenty about that man already and so do you, quite frankly.
    No, I don't. I'm not a mind reader.

And I'm genuinely baffled at why so many people are coming up with arguments why it's okay to turn somebody away from a public business...as long as he's a white male.

Far better to treat all equally.

And I'm genuinely baffled at why so many people are coming up with arguments why it's okay to turn somebody away from a public business...as long as he's a white male.

when women are actually treated equally as men, then call us.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Yea, this was done in poor taste. It's a woman only screening, but they can't really prevent men from purchasing tickets. It gets even more complicated because any "man" could still attend the event if he identifies as a woman. I mean...if the end result was providing proceeds to PP, I don't see how men's attending this threatens or infringes on that.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

HE HASN'T BEEN TURNED AWAY!

Nobody has been turned away and nobody has been denied the right to buy a ticket. The event is next week. If they try to turn him away then? THEN something illegal has happened.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    HE HASN'T BEEN TURNED AWAY!

Nobody has been turned away and nobody has been denied the right to buy a ticket. The event is next week. If they try to turn him away then? THEN something illegal has happened.
    Illegal, perhaps, but not immoral given the circumstances. And he would be a fool if he tried to make a big deal out of it. He would end up looking like one for sure. "Oh I have been discriminated against because the theatre has decided to invite only women to see the world's premier feminist super hero;" the inhumanity indeed.
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 05-31-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dianafan1985 View Post
    Illegal, perhaps, but not immoral given the circumstances. And he would be a fool if he tried to make a big deal out of it. He would end up looking like one for sure. "Oh I have been discriminated against because the theatre has decided to invite only women to see the world's premier feminist super hero;" the inhumanity indeed.
    yes absolutely this. spare us the crocodile tears from those poor, put-upon men of the world. denied most savagely their right to invade a women-only screening of wonder woman!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    yes absolutely this. spare us the crocodile tears from those poor, put-upon men of the world. denied most savagely their right to invade a women-only screening of wonder woman!!!
    Who in there right mind would deny men to such a privilege? Surely, men should be allowed to do this, right?
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

While I'm sure there are some people out there going over the top crazy about this, because some people go over the top crazy with anything, here I've seen rational and intelligent thoughts questioning the move. So I'm not seeing how it furthers discussion to be obnoxious about it. No one here is crying about "oh the poor men"; thus its rather disingenuous to toss aside any merit to the discussion on those grounds.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

The only obnoxious thing, in my opinion, is to claim discrimination as a man, in this very patriarchal society, due to a single theatre trying to celebrate womanhood by inviting only women to a movie showing of the world's most famous feminist superheroine. Her very first movie in almost 80 years (when Superman and Batman have received how many?); I personally do not see anything to question but I suppose this is why we have a discussion, as other people do.
    Last edited by dianafan1985; 05-31-2017 at 03:43 PM.

The law for many years in US has treated all people as equal regardless of race, colour or creed.

A white guy is not part of some elite, just another person with equal rights. If he's turned away from an event on grounds of race, then he's a victim of racism, not "crying racism".

I'm baffled by you seeking to treat one sector of society as inferior to others.
    The only reason why people think white people have all this privledge is because many politicians, the people who founded this country in the way it is today, business owners and the majority of the population in America falls under the category of white. I never understood why people are so ignorant and never realize that people generally favor their own. If blacks were the majority in population and higher ups (ceos, politicians) in America, then they'd more than likely hang out or favor other african americans.

But I will concede, that in America people were discriminated because of their skin color. But so what? It happens everywhere and nowadays it's the "right thing" to poke fun at white people and "minorities can't be racist". Laws and rules are just there, but many don't really follow them.

there is no such thing as men's rights, because every single facet of society was designed to please the masculine gender. So a bunch of women want to watch Wonder Woman by themselves, whats the big deal?
    Keep thinking that. I'm pretty sure societies typical expectations of men were made to please every single one of them? Let's also not forget how gynocentric society can be. If there is supposed "male privilege", there is "female privilege" too. No denying it.

I don't give a crap, those women can do whatever they want, but this is like the laws. Just because they say "women only", won't stop someone from entering. But like I said, they can do whatever they want. If they want to kick him then fine, I'll be shocked though if he complaints because the intended audience was not him.

And no, before asks, I'm not a male, and I wouldn't call myself white either. I just like looking at things from both perspectives and females have "privilege" too. As does every other skin color.

The only obnoxious thing, in my opinion, is to claim discrimination as a man, in this very patriarchal society, due to a single theatre trying to celebrate womanhood by inviting only women to a movie showing of the world's most famous feminist superheroine. Her very first movie in almost 80 years (when Superman and Batman have received how many?); I personally do not see anything to question but I suppose this is why we have a discussion, as other people do.
    I too don't think he should claim discrimination, but not because society is patriarchal but because it was recommended to be a woman only event. But even in this society, in other incidents apart from this one, men can get discriminated against.

Also 21st century American society is not solely patriachal anymore. This is just plain ignorance. America gives women so many rights and they have certain privleiges too. And many men in America depend on women as well. It blows my mind that people think 21st America is still male centred when women play such an important role.

Anyways, my tickets for Friday at 4. So exicted and honestly hopefully those women have a nice time in their theatre experience! If they reject the man then whatever. Obviously no one stopped him from buying a ticket.