Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I don't think WB was the mentor of New 52, they don't intefer with other companies. CN, DC, are all independent for most part
    I agree they didn't make that decision...but once it was made they were very happy with it. If you don't think, after the explosion of superhero movies and TV shows, that they are now keenly aware and involved then I've got a bridge to sell you. If nothing else the suits at DC are now playing to them - for instance, the introduction of a mixed race, smoking hot Helena Bertinelli ought to tell you Grayson is being poised for TV..."My name is Dick Grayson. I was the original Robin. I fought by Batman's side for years, but now I'm dedicated to being the best spy in the world..."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    One of the better issues of this series; hope we get more like it.

Re: the Cassandra Cain thing, I wouldn't rule out the possibility she will still debut later on. It would have been really contrived if she just came out of nowhere in Hong Kong.
    Not really, she was in Hong Kong as Black Bat pre-New 52. It'd actually be really easy to explain that she's been Batman's operative in Hong Kong this whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Not really, she was in Hong Kong as Black Bat pre-New 52. It'd actually be really easy to explain that she's been Batman's operative in Hong Kong this whole time.
    No, it would be completely contrived. Everything that has lead up to that point in time has basically been erased. You can say "She's been Batman's operative in Hong Kong" but who is she? She's certainly not the mute girl who came around in No Man's Land, was trained by Oracle, became Batgirl until she gave the mantle to Stephanie Brown... because none of that happened.

She's going to have to be reintroduced from square one, because everything that connected her to the Bat family has been erased or changed drastically.

Extraordinary Member

If Morrison's original plans for Stephanie had gone through with the Batman Inc Annual featuring the assassins school, then maybe we'd have seen Cass in Hong Kong. Remember, originally they were trying to redraw parts of the book to put her in the Spoiler costume and shift it over into the New 52. Add in Huntress's initial appearance as Bertinelli, and it seems that Flashpoint was going to originally avoid any accusations of sexism for the Batfamily, with both the boys and the girls making it through in some fashion. Instead, we basically got all the Robin plus Babs and Kate, with the former kind of demoted skill wise and the latter still barely attached to the family.

Having said that, I'm actually glad that Steph and Cass both seem to be getting more of an overhaul and complete reintroduction. While I still think they probably could have survived as easily as the Robins did, you worst case scenario for the characters would be someone tackling them with the approach Lobdell used on Tim Drake and screwing it up. Considering how editorial and writers have botched both ladies before hand, allowing the best Bat writers to make their return a centerpiece to a big story works better.

I still feel we'll get Cass back sometime in the next year; the family seems resurgent right now, with the cast expanding and certain individuals (Tim) back under Bat-banner control, and the character is supported by the staff. Which means I'm curious how developed she'll be when she makes her return; Steph is starting from square one, Helena seems fairly matured if stripped of her costume, and it's impossible to envision someone starting with a non-skilled Cass. It's a question of whether shell already be some kind of altruistic vigilante or more of a wondering vagabond.

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    No, it would be completely contrived. Everything that has lead up to that point in time has basically been erased. You can say "She's been Batman's operative in Hong Kong" but who is she? She's certainly not the mute girl who came around in No Man's Land, was trained by Oracle, became Batgirl until she gave the mantle to Stephanie Brown... because none of that happened.

She's going to have to be reintroduced from square one, because everything that connected her to the Bat family has been erased or changed drastically.
    Well the timetable was shortened, but as I understand it Bruce still used Tim's "Neon Knights" and the other connections Tim made while searching for him to begin Batman Inc. Since he first gave Cassandra a Bat costume during that time (Red Robin: The Hit List) and in Hong Kong it would make sense that she's still one of Batman's Hong Kong contacts.