Default Something I've Always Wondered About The Punisher

Has Marvel ever addressed how much of a controversial character he is in the sense of having his own views get thrown in his face? I mean something I've always liked his is brutality and his more realistic approach but he gets so bad sometimes that I'm pretty he sure borders on just being a bad guy himself. I even remember once I was reading a spider comic and The Punisher had been caught along side another guy it didn't really surprise me that the Punisher was being treated like a criminal. Anyway I've been watching Arrow Season 5 and there's this villain Prometheus that got me wondering has Frank Castle ever been on the receiving end of vengeance?

I don't really read the comics and have only seen the movies in my opinion Daredevil has had the best portrayal Frank on that is a lot more human and relatable and you get a real sense of why he does what he does and can even side with him to an extent. However something I've always like to see is for someone to go after The Punisher with as much wrath as much justification as he has gone after criminals. So I was just wondering has there ever been a story line like where Frank is hunted and tormented for the same reasons like he's hunting a real criminal scum bag and takes a sniper rifle and proceeds to take out someone he thinks is his target not even hesitating to pull the trigger when his target turns the corner and then finds out that he shot the wrong person and for someone that person loved maybe a cop(for the purpose of symmetry) or soldier on temporary leave to come home and get a call that his pregnant wife has been shot dead senselessly and for that to start a cycle of revenge where Frank Castle is the target of a once good man who of grief has turned into a raging psycho.

More than anything I've always wanted a scene like this with the Punisher. Possible trigger warning

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

There have been a few comic arcs, here and there, where Punisher was targeted for revenge by the family or other loved ones of criminals he killed, but the writer(s) usually portrayed those bereaved family members or loved ones as being just as bad as the "criminal scum" they were trying to avenge. As for the comparison with Arrow, the issue is that Punisher usually isn't meant to be seen as a heroic figure and doesn't consider himself one, whereas Arrow is trying to be more heroic after the events of Season 1 and even more so after the events of Season 3. It should be mentioned that Prometheus wasn't really treated as being any more sympathetic than those family members/loved ones of the Punisher's victims, as he targeted innocent people frequently and treated everyone around him as disposable means to his end of avenging his father by proving that Arrow was a hypocritical murderer with no right to pass moral judgment on anyone, a description that would actually fit Prometheus just as well as it did Oliver, if not better.

The closest to what you're looking for, I think, would be in the movie Punisher: War Zone, where early on Frank does kill someone who turns out to be an undercover FBI agent, and he's actually so distraught about it that he offers the agent's widow and daughter all the money he's ripped from the mobsters he's killed and a chance to kill him in revenge. Then, when the widow refuses the money and the chance to kill him, Frank tries his best to atone for his actions by protecting her and her daughter from the mobsters who want to kill them in revenge for their late husband/father being an undercover FBI agent that the mobsters presume led the Punisher to them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

There have been a couple of comics where this has happened. At one point in Civil War Captain America basically beat seven shades of **** out of him and kicked him out in disgust but the most prominent stuff has been with Daredevil. The ones written by Garth Ennis generally have Punisher ''winning'' physically, figuratively and philosophically and DD being basically well intentioned but pretty much entirely ineffectual compared to Frank, under Waid it was reversed somewhat and DD was clearly not at all happy to find himself working alongside the Punisher and called him (or rather his protégé) out pretty brutally when she compared the two of them.

That said, in the MAX continuity (also by Ennis and later Jason Aaron) Frank is clearly EXTREMELY damaged and whilst he's brutally effective and badass it's made very clear his life is completely and entirely about killing people - and that such a life is not one to admire.