Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Justice League United #3 Spoilers/Discussion

Lemire bringing his A-Game to the table. Loving the team, and the Green Arrow/Animal Man banter is awesome as ever. Cliffhanger seems to indicate the death of Hawkman.

What did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by BaneofKings View Post
    Lemire bringing his A-Game to the table. Loving the team, and the Green Arrow/Animal Man banter is awesome as ever. Cliffhanger seems to indicate the death of Hawkman.

What did you think?
    Green arrow, animal man, Deadman.
    Lemire likes to kill of his main characters and bring them straight back. It's his thing.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Well since Hawkman rises from the dead in Future's End this week - I see no reason he won't do the same thing 5 years earlier. (Both books had his arm grow back.) I'm ready for the new Hawkman drinking game - arm or leg cut of one shot, dead - double shot. It would make all these New 52 clichés a lot more fun.

If Hawkman is dead, I will eat dog crap. He'll be back - as he stated in FE, I'm not even sure he can be killed anymore (to an extent). I really dug J'onn using compassion and understanding to calm down Ultra - very in-character.

As much as I'm enjoying this native Canadian girl's story, I was expecting her to encounter a Wampa in those scenes and end up with a light-saber... were the allusions to Empire Strikes Back deliberate, or am I just seeing things?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BaneofKings View Post

What did you think?
    Pretty confident he will live, but hoping they do take him to his home land and we get Hawkwoman in the new 52.

From the other JLU #3 thread:

I enjoyed the third issue. I think there is alot going on with all the characters, so it is going to be hard for them to all get time on the page. I feel some of the character development is missing simply because the story is the writers main focus at the moment. I'd even say, unlike other posters here, that the story is going quite fast whereas the development side of the heroes is going slower.

The Lobo appearing out of nowhere attacking Supergirl only to be kicked away like a Saturday morning cartoon villain was a bit contrived & having Supergirl agreeing to join up with the team, off-panel, was also a little contrived too. Again, all in the name of advancing the story. Supergirl also still seems to be written as a hot-headed character, attacking without thinking. I thought the Red Ring saga was supposed to have changed her character a little, but it read for me like it was still the pre-ring Supergirl here again.

The last page was a very clear throwback to Crisis with Superman/Dead Supergirl, only this time Supergirl + Hawkman. It was ok, but I think it could have been drawn better and the lack of page time for Hawkman leaves the reader caring very little for his demise at this stage. Just to clarify here, I mean Hawkman doesn't do enough within 4 issues (counting #0) to warrent any kind of emotional connection from me to his death. I mean, killing him so soon, or any character for that reason, won't tug my strings as I've nothing to base a close connection from reading the character, as the time in developing the character just isn't there at that early stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhatch View Post
    The last page was a very clear throwback to Crisis with Superman/Dead Supergirl, only this time Supergirl + Hawkman. It was ok, but I think it could have been drawn better and the lack of page time for Hawkman leaves the reader caring very little for his demise at this stage. Just to clarify here, I mean Hawkman doesn't do enough within 4 issues (counting #0) to warrent any kind of emotional connection from me to his death. I mean, killing him so soon, or any character for that reason, won't tug my strings as I've nothing to base a close connection from reading the character, as the time in developing the character just isn't there at that early stage.
    He does as much heroic action as any other character in the book (more imo), and he's already an established character. This isn't the killing of a character readers are unfamiliar with, it's Hawkman. The entire four issues don't even need to exist for the image of Supergirl carrying a crispy Hawkman to strike an emotional chord.

Supergirl punching Lobo into orbit, and then Animal Man shrugging at Green Arrow's meagre attempt, classic!

I like to think Ollie and Buddy will eventually become good friends, because the banter is great fun to read.

The Manhunter going into the Ultra child's mind and embracing the kid afterwards was cool.

I'm really starting to warm up to JLU now,I wasn't too sure of it before but I'm rather liking it now!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin86 View Post
    If Hawkman is dead, I will eat dog crap. He'll be back - as he stated in FE, I'm not even sure he can be killed anymore (to an extent). I really dug J'onn using compassion and understanding to calm down Ultra - very in-character.

As much as I'm enjoying this native Canadian girl's story, I was expecting her to encounter a Wampa in those scenes and end up with a light-saber... were the allusions to Empire Strikes Back deliberate, or am I just seeing things?
    I dunno, I can't get past reading the word "Mossonee" as "Moose Knee". But, my view of Canada is strictly South Park-based.

I am happy to see the real J'onn back. He's a compassionate survivor of loss who only resorts to violence when he's pushed. He's the less fortunate Superman. Stormwatch really took a dump on his personality and I'm glad it's gone.

Green Arrow still needs better jokes.
    Last edited by ReverseReverseFlash; 07-10-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape and Cowl View Post
    He does as much heroic action as any other character in the book (more imo), and he's already an established character. This isn't the killing of a character readers are unfamiliar with, it's Hawkman. The entire four issues don't even need to exist for the image of Supergirl carrying a crispy Hawkman to strike an emotional chord.
    Well as a reader whose only familiarity with Hawkman is JLA #1-#14 & now JL:U #0-#3 I don't think he was developed enough for me to care about his death so soon. I do however think it was very noble/heroic of him to fly off with the bomb and save everyone else. That in itself is character development for when he inevitably returns.

Fantastic Member

As someone who knows nothing about Hawkman, I've definitely warmed to him over these issues. He was very good here. It's so obvious that he's not going to be gone for long, of course. Martian Manhunter and Supergirl were good here too, J'onn especially. Great issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Supergirl punching Lobo into orbit, and then Animal Man shrugging at Green Arrow's meagre attempt, classic!

I like to think Ollie and Buddy will eventually become good friends, because the banter is great fun to read.

The Manhunter going into the Ultra child's mind and embracing the kid afterwards was cool.

I'm really starting to warm up to JLU now,I wasn't too sure of it before but I'm rather liking it now!
    This is really the key to the title right now. Character interaction has been the most enjoyable parts. There is Ollie/Buddy, J'onn/Courtney, Supergirl/everyone, Adam/Alana, and the death of Hawkman that are making it great. The story is almost secondary.
    It's all just an opinion. Stop taking me so damn seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    This is really the key to the title right now. Character interaction has been the most enjoyable parts. There is Ollie/Buddy, J'onn/Courtney, Supergirl/everyone, Adam/Alana, and the death of Hawkman that are making it great. The story is almost secondary.
    If/when Hawkman returns to JLU, do you think he will actually 'befriend' someone on the team? I certainly hope so.

I'm thinking he'll be back within the next issue thanks to some sort of intervention by Ultra or simply his Nth metal kicking in and doing what it does best (acting as a Maguffin! :P). I loved Supergirl losing patience with Lobo and then Byth: nice 'slapstick' humour!

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    As someone who knows nothing about Hawkman, I've definitely warmed to him over these issues. He was very good here. It's so obvious that he's not going to be gone for long, of course. Martian Manhunter and Supergirl were good here too, J'onn especially. Great issue!
    I knew very little about Hawkman until the new 52, and now he's my favorite character. I have something to get off my chest.

DC, PLEASE STOP KILLING HAWKMAN!!!

Okay, I feel better now.

Seriously though, I really, really love this comic. Like Conway said, the interactions between these characters is really fun to read, and is one of the greatest things about this comic.

Next issue can't come fast enough for me.

Thank you Jeff Lemire.
    WHO DAT?!!