Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Frank Castle, Agent of Hydra. Jesus, what next Peter Parker bag man for Kingpin? This is a lot of stupid. Aliens chanting Hail Hydra even though there is a cosmic cube on Earth in the hands of someone with a white supremacy hard on. Cap enacting his travel Inhuman ban while doing PR. Atlantis being blown up for the millionth time. Widow training children. This storyline is going the way of cosmic reboot.
    so you don't remember when Peter freed Norman Osborn from prison or made the deal with Mephisto?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    the art implied that it was Ultron (wearing part of Pym's face).
    Cap alone against an ultron would be interesting to see.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
    So, this is clearly heading for a clean reset. The stuff which has happened so far in no way can be taken forward without terminally damaging Cap as a character, as well as several others. I'm not sure why this story then even matters when the reset button is so clearly in sight.
    Nick spencer has stressed to readers in interviews and even on his Twitter that it won't be a hand wave predicable ending that there will be consequences I'm assuming that by consequences this means everyone will retain their memories from the story going into legacy but Steve will be the captain america we all know and love meaning he won't be a hydra agent anymore but he like everyone else will remember everything that happened which is as close to consequences that you can get.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I think it's implied that when the shield was being made they took into consideration cosmic powered beings like spectrum and America Chavez, Carol Danvers, and galactus this was at least implied heavily in the ultimates 2 #7 which was its one and only issue from that series that would tie into secret empire.

Carol even had to restrain Monica from putting herself in danger in fear of Monica potentially killing herself in the process, Monica was able to gather some information about what was happening on earth under Steve's hydra takeover of the world but she couldn't break the shields defenses.

Monica also in turn had to stop Carol in that same issue from punching the shield repeatedly be base she feared Carol would break her hand since the shield is that indestructible.

Sadly at the end of the day this comes down to comic book logic or having certain things be if the writer says so like America Chavez is really powerful Carol Danvers also is so is spectrum all three have cosmic awareness yet they can't penetrate the shield and destroy it? not even starbrand yet another powerful hero whose also in space with them can penetrate the shields defenses? But quasar can? That logic doesn't quite add up lol.
    Well, yeah they can't break it, but neither can the synergy aliens.

But they can leave, with Miss America, or if Star Lord can get them a ship. Said aliens are trying to get past them to get to earth, so why not just let them go at it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Nick spencer has stressed to readers in interviews and even on his Twitter that it won't be a hand wave predicable ending that there will be consequences I'm assuming that by consequences this means everyone will retain their memories from the story going into legacy but Steve will be the captain america we all know and love meaning he won't be a hydra agent anymore but he like everyone else will remember everything that happened which is as close to consequences that you can get.
    Honestly, that's another thing that I hate with this event; Spencer's essentially doing all that's in his power to essentially destroy numerous characters' reputation with the promise that he won't fix the damages with the cosmic cube. At a point, if he doesn't fix this mess, we're basically looking at Ultimatum 2.0 where they just blow shit up because they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Read it first.
    Hill is Hill, to the best of my knowledge she was never portrayed as someone especially moral about doing her job. She wants Cap dead and will stop at nothing to get that.
    The Widow is the Widow. She kills when needed. She doesn't enjoy it but if she sees no other option she takes the killing shot. She's training the Champions but I bet she doesn't expect them to be able to kill anyone (they told her they don't want to kill anyone more than once, spies yes, assassins no). I believe she wants to use them as a distraction allowing her to take the shoot on Hydracap. Something will probably intervene to stop her (possibly a choice between killing Cap and saving one or more of the Champions?).
    As for the Champions what's remarkable is they have not compromised their ethics yet. On the contrary they are holding to what they believe steadfastly.

Also, to borrow a quote from a movie about a certain caped crusader:"The night is always darkest before the dawn"... I really don't get people complaining about this, the darker it gets the more glorious the light will be afterwards.

Edit: The aliens know nothing about Hydra (they ask Rocket and Star Lord how it's even called) they just think Earth kept inside its planetary shield and out of their business is what they want. And yes, they don't seem to like earthlings much at all.
    Yeah, I'll have to read it to be sure, but the OP was so well written it portrayed a very strong, overwhelming, throbbing chaos coated in a false optimism, that the overall pervading effect is depressing. I realise that this will be replaced in the end, but the killing culture everyone is getting used too, if not eliminated, will be an experience that is pervading everyone.
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-31-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    Cap alone against an ultron would be interesting to see.
    he's not alone. he asked that the Avengers be assembled before moving out. and Ultron (or his JARVIS) said that they were coming in multiple ships.

BANNED

I got my books late today. Just finished #3 now and all I can say is "Holy Hell, what an issue!"

Spencer and co. continue to kill it on this event. So much good stuff in this issue. Widow and Hill. Widow training the Champions. The ongoing mystery of who the other Steve is. Rocket's hilarious nickname for Hydra Cap that I can't believe I haven't heard anyone use before now. The assault on Atlantis, complete with Namor's "f*ck you" to Steve and Steve's even bigger "fu*k you" back. The return of Pymtron, drawn to creepy perfection by Sorrentino.

AND THAT LAST SCENE!!!! Holy SH*T!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    No explanation for these things inside the issue. I guess it stands to reason the quantic bands were powerful enough to protect Quasar from dying and Maria Hill really is that good a spy after all.

@Knives: I for one don't really have a problem with Frank working for a government giving him "carte blanche" for his "war on crime".
    Yeah, no big explanation needed for Quasar's survival or for Hill's ability to get out of a jam.

And Frank throwing in with Hydra isn't hard to accept at all. Especially not with his established hero worship of Steve.

I've got to say, the last page of this issue blew me away even more than the last page of #2. I just hope Hydra Frank gets some decent story time.

Anyhow, Spencer is not taking his foot off the gas with this. Can't wait for #4!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Honestly, that's another thing that I hate with this event; Spencer's essentially doing all that's in his power to essentially destroy numerous characters' reputation with the promise that he won't fix the damages with the cosmic cube. At a point, if he doesn't fix this mess, we're basically looking at Ultimatum 2.0 where they just blow shit up because they can.
    Well, Deadpool has some great writers, so I imagine we'll get his redemption there. The Punisher doesn't really have that sort of a reputation that needs much help, and for me, it'll be funny to see a Marvel Universe where Dr. Doom and Loki are more trusted and liked, especially by the younger heroes, than Steve Rogers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Hahaha - destroy whose reputation? The Punisher's?!?

The guy is a freaking mass murderer! Like, a thousand times over!

I love the character, absolutely love him - but having him working for Hydra is not gonna hurt his rep in the slightest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I loved this issue. I'm so sorry for Nick Spencer, Two years ago this event would have been a tremendous success.
    Don't worry. Spencer's fine. It's a tremendous success now. And really, it's the eerie topicality of SE - something that couldn't have been anticipated when it was originally conceived - that makes it all the more vital.

So, this is clearly heading for a clean reset. The stuff which has happened so far in no way can be taken forward without terminally damaging Cap as a character, as well as several others. I'm not sure why this story then even matters when the reset button is so clearly in sight.
    It's a tribute to the story Spencer is telling that it seems impossible for things to be made "right" without magical means but I really can't wait until we get to the end of SE and for people to see that there is going to be no reset.

BANNED

Oh, by the way - take a close look at the $100 bills that Boomerang is holding at the end.

They feature Cap wielding Mjolnir. Money in Hydra Nation is totally gangster!

I wonder what the wings at Boomerang's joint taste like.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Hahaha - destroy whose reputation? The Punisher's?!?

The guy is a freaking mass murderer! Like, a thousand times over!

I love the character, absolutely love him - but having him working for Hydra is not gonna hurt his rep in the slightest.
    There is Deadpool's reputation, Odinson's/Thor's reputation, and Steve Roger's reputation.

What makes Deadpool's situation especially tragic is that he's trying very hard to fill the void left by Logan's death and because his standing in the superhero community has gone up since his stint in X-Force. The guy is only trying to do right by Logan and Steve Rogers, each of whom he feels he owes a great deal to.

Odinson will likely blame the hammer, he's just following the hammer, but will that be enough?

And then you have poor Steve Rogers, who really is as much a victim as anyone. He has to deal with causing thousands of deaths, lives wrecked, concentration camps, the attempted deaths of his friends, etc. I wasn't joking in my previous comment about many people, especially the younger generation who doesn't have the ties the older guard has to him, who are going to feel more comfortable trusting Dr. Doom or Loki, God of Lies and Mischief, over Steve Rogers. At least with those two you know something will go wrong, but Steve is going to be an open question for a long time.

God I hope so......

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's a tribute to the story Spencer is telling that it seems impossible for things to be made "right" without magical means but I really can't wait until we get to the end of SE and for people to see that there is going to be no reset.
    This requires a tremendous amount of faith in Marvel being able to follow through on this in an interesting way that actually pays off. More likely, we will get another Civil War or Decimation where the events cause all kinds of problems for the next wave of creators that come along on these books and everything has to be slowly walked back to get to something that resembles where they were before this.

Marvel seems to only like changing their status quo in ways that make it as hard as possible to continue an on going shared universe. They seem to be their own worst enemy.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!