Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

How is he disappointing? For fighting for Mutantkind? Most people (from what I've seen) seem to believe that Marvel keeps pushing making Cyclops a villain because most readers realize that Cyclops being completely wrong and Cap being completely right isn't the case.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Just in case the link doesn't work here is what waa discussed relating to Cyvlops:.

#7. Much like Iron Man in*Civil War, there’s a lot of factors that make it up to the readers if Cyclops truly betrayed his fellow mutants. And in fact, this division is what made the X-Men books after*Avengers vs X-Men*so compelling. Fighting against the Avengers to defend fellow X-Man Hope as the Phoenix loomed, Cyclops became possessed himself and led the Phoenix Five.

Possessed by the Phoenix, Cyclops killed Professor Xavier and led many attacks against human and mutant alike. Afterward, he adopted a more revolutionary attitude, leading a rebellious team of X-Men and coming into conflict with other superheroes and his former friend Wolverine on more than one occasion. Cyclops was briefly viewed as a martyr, believed to have been killed by Black Bolt in*Death of X*before it was revealed he had succumbed to M-Pox days before.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    How is he disappointing? For fighting for Mutantkind? Most people (from what I've seen) seem to believe that Marvel keeps pushing making Cyclops a villain because most readers realize that Cyclops being completely wrong and Cap being completely right isn't the case.
    i think its the idea of him killing off Xavier that makes him a disappointment to me. the person who trained him, offered him so much knowledge and also worked his whole life to build a world where mutants could live in peace with humans waa taken out by his pupil is just horrific. then his pupil would continue to live not honoring the man he did but fighting for a world that behaved in the opposite way of the things Xavier lived for made him even more disappointing to me.

I completely disagree, Cyclops over the years evolved and developed as a character and with development mentality changes. Cyke realized that at the time Prof. X's ideologies were not going to happen. He was never a villain also, so lets jot that down, no matter how much Scott fought for mutant rights he never once harmed civilians and never wanted to put humans in danger also...this whole thing of Cyclops being a villain is literally a reach that many people who hate Scott go for
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    I completely disagree, Cyclops over the years evolved and developed as a character and with development mentality changes. Cyke realized that at the time Prof. X's ideologies were not going to happen. He was never a villain also, so lets jot that down, no matter how much Scott fought for mutant rights he never once harmed civilians and never wanted to put humans in danger also...this whole thing of Cyclops being a villain is literally a reach that many people who hate Scott go for
    how did Cyclops realize this? it's something that the xmen have fought for even after Cyclops murder Xavier which was the peaceful coexistence with mutants.

So how long do we all think it will be until the inevitable and totally justifiable thread of "Storm is a disappointment..." shows up?

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    i think its the idea of him killing off Xavier that makes him a disappointment to me. the person who trained him, offered him so much knowledge and also worked his whole life to build a world where mutants could live in peace with humans waa taken out by his pupil is just horrific. then his pupil would continue to live not honoring the man he did but fighting for a world that behaved in the opposite way of the things Xavier lived for made him even more disappointing to me.
    Scott didn't kill Xavier, the Phoenix did. No one jumped on Jean for killing people while the Phoenix possessed her, but they did for Scott. That to me is Marvel trying to push a narrative about him being a villain, and from what I've seen, people, for the most part, aren't buying it. Add in as well that Xavier was threatening the Phoenix, but again, no one brings that up. And why should Scott honor Xavier? Their relationship wasn't very good because Scott learned of some of the horrible things Xavier did, and then rather than help Scott, Xavier threatens him. And he just fought the Avengers, who are supposed to be helping everyone, for the survival of his race. Why would he play a pacifist like Xavier, Storm, Kitty, rather than continuing a fight for his people.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    So how long do we all think it will be until the inevitable and totally justifiable thread of "Storm is a disappointment..." shows up?
    not sure how this is relevant to Cyclops betraying mutantkind..

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Scott didn't kill Xavier, the Phoenix did. No one jumped on Jean for killing people while the Phoenix possessed her, but they did for Scott. That to me is Marvel trying to push a narrative about him being a villain, and from what I've seen, people, for the most part, aren't buying it. Add in as well that Xavier was threatening the Phoenix, but again, no one brings that up. And why should Scott honor Xavier? Their relationship wasn't very good because Scott learned of some of the horrible things Xavier did, and then rather than help Scott, Xavier threatens him. And he just fought the Avengers, who are supposed to be helping everyone, for the survival of his race. Why would he play a pacifist like Xavier, Storm, Kitty, rather than continuing a fight for his people.
    I do think people hold jean accountable for what she did and ultimately she returned to fight for those who were defenseless (mutant and humans alike).
    Xavier was throwing dome taunts around but did it really need to end in his death? also people like to say Cyclops was possessed by Phoenix but he said he would do it again and he said this while not possessed l. Scott owes everything he was to Xavier. the least he could do was work to promote peace as opposed to being a mutant separatist. and working to avert war much like Xavier and ororo did isn't being pacifist. it's knowing when to fight and when not to.

I love Cyclops. I think his trajectory has been great to watch. I never would have thought I love Cyclops would be a sentence I would have said when I was a kid reading him but come on, he has definately developed and changed as character and it felt very earned.

Killing Xavier was the best thing Cyclops did. In fact it's a wonder that Scott didn't kill him sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Killing Xavier was the best thing Cyclops did. In fact it's a wonder that Scott didn't kill him sooner.
    you can't be serious ? why?

All-New Member

The writer must be either a storm fan or an irrational hater.When has cyclops led many attacks against human and mutant alike.

Issue and scans needed

Fantastic Member

I think the notions of "Cyclops is a villain", and "Cyclops betrayed mutantkind" are really two different issues. Though I don't really believe either of them to be true.

After years of faith in Xavier's dream, Cyclops realized it wasn't going to work, not at the time, not wit the methods they've been using. Part of it is because they've been doing it for decades but the nature of the medium won't let the situation improve. Part of it is that Xavier says he has this dream for peaceful coexistence, but no plan how to get there, other than relying on the kindness of humans to accept them. Cyclops just decided to take a different path. He figures that someone needs to stand up for mutants, and that he can do that, but not while he's the public face for mutant kind. Aside from when under possession of the phoenix and being assaulted by every avenger, Cyclops hasn't intentionally caused destruction or hurt innocents. As the "betrayal" list shows, plenty of other heroes have turned sideways or against their teammates and everyone has moved on.

Essentially, Cyclops's betrayal and villainous acts are:
    - Killing a man in self defense while possessed by a cosmic being. Xavier said he was going to shut Cyclop's brain down.
    - Breaking out of jail, fleeing from authorities
    - "That despicable thing he did" (that was actually Emma pretending he was there) was spun into evil acts by Medusa propaganda, and in essence resulted in only one death - and even that was due to inhuman interference.

Marvel keeps pushing this villainous side, but I don't see it.

I don't even like Cyclops that much but the dude had balls. To be honest the X-Men all have been acting like a bunch of pussies for a long time, DoX and IvX, even if terrible, just showed how most of the X-Men are happy to just kneel and take it instead of fighting.

I don't agree with some of Cyclops actions but he's certainly not a villain, that's just Marvel moronic propaganda.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Of course it was not going to happen. The human persona is too complicated and you can't have all 7 billion people on the planet love you. Some people will hate/resent you no matter how nice you are. I never saw Charles dream 'peaceful coexistance' being about mutants lying down and letting others walk over you. I think he was trying to build a better name for mutants. By taking a bunch of mutant young people (not to mention type A personalities) and teach them to control their powers and serve society. As opposed to Magneto or the Hellfire Club who think that they powers give them a right to mistreat and dominate un powered humans whom they deem inferior. Charles way might not have been 100% effective, but it went some way to providing positive public relations to the populace and showing that they had nothing to fear.

Xavier way might not have been perfect, but it was a much better way than Cyclops constant whining, victim mentality and isolationism because people are mean.
    Xavier's way was brave and heroic. Cyclops way was narcissistic and cowardly. I also think that Cyclops persecution complex brought more problems more than it solved.