View Poll Results: 10 Years Later, was the deal with Mephisto worth it?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 20.11%
  • No

147 79.89%
Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    Hopefully once Dan Slott leaves, a new creative team will come along and retcon OMD and reinstate the marriage.

I think what Marvel's master plan COULD be, is that 10-15 years from now when Tom Holland retires from the films, and perhaps when we hit ASM#1000....
    IF the stars all line up like that, Marvel might attempt to permanently retire PP and have Miles Morales take over as the only Spider-Man in the MCU and comics. By that point Miles will probably be popular enough through multi media appearances, and it will allow Peter Parker's story to be completed.

IF that were the case, then Marvel would not worry about Peter appearing too old by him being married for years in print because it would aid in retiring him... And then y'know, when we reach the year 2099...
    I doubt they would do this (or if they did it would't be well received). For better or worse Peter Parker is the Spider-Man. People read the comics for Peter just as much as they do for the titular hero. Miles is a great character and I expect to see more of him in the future, but if Marvel's recent slump in sales have proven anything, it's that replacing the classic heroes with the newbies instead of having them work side by side doesn't work. Can't really see this trend changing even after the MCU trilogy.
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    Miles Morales is the new hip racially diverse teen Spider Man that Marvel so desperately wants.

Peter Parker is the legendary classic Spider Man who is a full grown adult and can progress properly now that the role of a young Spider Man has been fulfilled.

Now if only someone other than Bendis would write Miles cause he's not doing Miles any favors. Bendis makes his characters too flawless like he wants them to supplant Stan Lee's classics which is a practical impossibility.
    At the risk of being labeled a non pc Mephisto - I just don't like Miles (and the majority of the spider people). Love Spider Gwen. It dilutes the book unless their existence really adds something. Miles - to me - is like Impulse; whose welcome just grew old after a few years... Having 150 toons that run fast and a complex mystic back story is cool - but still couldn't replace (1) Classic Barry

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
    At the risk of being labeled a non pc Mephisto - I just don't like Miles (and the majority of the spider people). Love Spider Gwen. It dilutes the book unless their existence really adds something. Miles - to me - is like Impulse; whose welcome just grew old after a few years... Having 150 toons that run fast and a complex mystic back story is cool - but still couldn't replace (1) Classic Barry
    I understand the sentiment but Miles is the most successful of the new legacies and he's cool in his own right. Not right now with Bendis having no idea what to do with the character but he can be a good character in his own right. He will never supplant Peter Parker. That is an impossibility.

I dislike all spider people save for Spider Man 2099. Noir and Kaine.

Agree with that sentiment. With OMD, Spider Man continuity became relative and can be altered and twisted in any way Marvel desires regardless of consistency or plausibility. It eliminated the possibility of long term and siginicant relationship with characters, be they friends or love interests and whenever something does happen they bring Spidey back to square one. That is the promise of OMD.
    Continuity had been relative for a while. See how quickly the major developments of the Clone Saga were reversed.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Continuity had been relative for a while. See how quickly the major developments of the Clone Saga were reversed.
    Until the darkness of Clone Conspiracy which brought the memory back. The developments of Clone Saga 90's were poorly made and roughly resolved.

Listen guys, I know a lot of us are still mad and will likely never be happy about One More Day, but maybe some of you out there can find the old Spider-man we know and love in the new movie. I know I did.

Quote Originally Posted by super_posable_joe View Post
    Listen guys, I know a lot of us are still mad and will likely never be happy about One More Day, but maybe some of you out there can find the old Spider-man we know and love in the new movie. I know I did.
    Will the people who hated One More Day really prefer a film that's going to keep Spidey in high school?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

There is kind of one thing I liked about Homecoming pertaining to a different character entirely...I'm wondering whether or not they'll go that route in the comics before long. It's definitely a long overdue take with that person.

As for finding the old Spidey in this...I saw a blend of several things, but Peter felt a little too class clownish to me.

Incredible Member

Will the people who hated One More Day really prefer a film that's going to keep Spidey in high school?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    There is kind of one thing I liked about Homecoming pertaining to a different character entirely...I'm wondering whether or not they'll go that route in the comics before long. It's definitely a long overdue take with that person.

As for finding the old Spidey in this...I saw a blend of several things, but Peter felt a little too class clownish to me.
    I don't think one is connected to the other. Spider Man Homecoming is its own thing. OMD has no bearing on that. It seems to take its cues mostly from the Ultimate Universe.

In any case many revile OMD and that's the way it is but while the grudge remains it doesn't mean we've not found other methods of entertainment, other Spider people to follow. Heck even OMD haters have managed to enjoy some post OMD stories.

Speaking for myself: "Heck, yeah!"

I have a problem with OMD. I don't have a problem with high school Spider-Man stories. (Heck, the best modern day Spider-Man comic made to date did nothing but high school stories.)

BANNED

I don't mind it too much since it's in an alternate universe...I'm just sick and tired of the "synergy" philosophy and having 616 Peter portrayed as a young and immature character when he is an adult and not a teenager.

I voted no.

When Brand New Day started I enjoyed the new world that they were creating. But it got stale and after a plethora of reboots/relaunches, having doctor octopus die, take over Peter's body, take over as Spider-man, it just got stupid. The Renew your vows mini was such a breath of fresh air from this horrible status quo. But the regular series RYV just isn't for me. I want Mary Jane to be his wife not his web slinging partner... Oh and the lets give Norman Osborn a new face in the main series... and Octopus a new body... I just don't have the interest in this.

I want them at some point to suddenly have Peter still standing in front of Mephisto and shout, "No way in hell." and beat the *&^*&^ out of him and this entire mess was nothing but Mephisto playing with Peter's mind. And Aunt May dies. (But then I've hated the Aunt May character ever since the mid 70s when I just looked at the pictures of the comics because I couldn't read yet)

But they can't do that. Too much interaction with the rest of the marvel universe. Although they've completely screwed up the marvel universe as well with all their replace the real characters ****.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    I voted no.

When Brand New Day started I enjoyed the new world that they were creating. But it got stale and after a plethora of reboots/relaunches, having doctor octopus die, take over Peter's body, take over as Spider-man, it just got stupid. The Renew your vows mini was such a breath of fresh air from this horrible status quo. But the regular series RYV just isn't for me. I want Mary Jane to be his wife not his web slinging partner... Oh and the lets give Norman Osborn a new face in the main series... and Octopus a new body... I just don't have the interest in this.

I want them at some point to suddenly have Peter still standing in front of Mephisto and shout, "No way in hell." and beat the *&^*&^ out of him and this entire mess was nothing but Mephisto playing with Peter's mind. And Aunt May dies. (But then I've hated the Aunt May character ever since the mid 70s when I just looked at the pictures of the comics because I couldn't read yet)

But they can't do that. Too much interaction with the rest of the marvel universe. Although they've completely screwed up the marvel universe as well with all their replace the real characters ****.
    Cool opinion. Several similarities with my own (especially on the topic of Aunt May needing to kick the bucket. I only ever liked her in JMS' run when she finally learned the truth and in ASM 400 when she died).

A point of complaint when Peter and MJ were originally married was that MJ was reduced to being this wait by the window damsel who would not shut up about asking Peter to stop being Spidey. The melodrama in and of itself wasn't harmful but its excess sure was. In RYV currently, to address that Peter and MJ are partners in every aspect of their life together. Even them sharing spider powers is a symbol of their marriage in which everything belongs to the two of them and not just one. That also includes power, responsibility and the burdens of Spider Man. That being the reason for why MJ has a suit and powers is pretty neat for me and will eliminate any unnecessary age old spouts between the two like it was before in pre OMD. Plus there's no better or more trustworthy partner than your wife (just ask Aquaman).

But I completely get and understand the turn off vibe about MJ having powers and being a super like Peter. Totally understand and I would be lying if I did not share some worries about it myself. Anyways that is just my feedback from the current RYV which I enjoy to no end.

I would restore Peter x MJ in the current status quo but not by altering continuity like OMD did. The past ten years and the devil deal still happened. What I would do is find a method for Peter and MJ to remember they made the deal with Mephisto and fight against him and defeat him. They would then resume/continue their relationship now that they remember everything and the past ten years would still have happened. The two of them dating other people in that period of time does not count as adultery or anything because the two were not together anymore as per the devil deal.

BANNED

A point of complaint when Peter and MJ were originally married was that MJ was reduced to being this wait by the window damsel who would not shut up about asking Peter to stop being Spidey.
    And even that complaint is overexaggerated to the point of irritation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    But they can't do that. Too much interaction with the rest of the marvel universe.
    Just reveal the RYV Parkers as the real ones. Explain that's what really happened to Peter and MJ when they vanished at the end of OMD, the forces of the universe or the one-above-all was impressed by how far they were willing to sacrifice their own happiness for someone else and staged a last minute intervention, they wound up in another dimension free to live out their lives as a ''reward'' They were split in two or something to compensate for their absence in the core reality. The only thing with that is DC already did this with Superman.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-07-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Fantastic Member

There was some aspect of 'wait by the window', but to say MJ was reduced to that does a huge disservice to the writers that used her so well during the marriage years. I've recently been reading the subplot where she tries to get a friend off cocaine.