View Poll Results: 10 Years Later, was the deal with Mephisto worth it?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 20.11%
  • No

147 79.89%
Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Question OMD, 10 Years Later--Was It Worth It?

I know we're not quite there yet, but this year does mark the 10-year anniversary of One More Day, the comic story that separated Peter & Mary Jane Watson Parker by way of a pact with Mephisto.

My question is a simple one: based on what we've gotten since then, in terms of the main Amazing Spider-Man comic and everything else that's come out, was splitting up Peter & Mary Jane in such a way worth it?

I ask you to think carefully before you vote: could a majority of the stories that have happened since been done with a Peter Parker Spider-Man that wasn't wed?
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 05-31-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Yes, I think it was worth it. It could've been done better, but it was helpful for the series, pulling off what the Clone Saga and Mackie tried and failed to do.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I vote oh hell no.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

They should've just pulled teenaged Pete from the past and brought him to the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    They should've just pulled teenaged Pete from the past and brought him to the present.
    What do you think this is? An X-book? An Ironman title?

Anyway, I think it was worth it. The marriage was dragging things down and had been for a long time. It needed to go.

Well I voted to no because if you couldn't find an organic way to separate these characters then they shouldn't have been separated in the first place.
    Aside from that these stories are really bad in their execution where I see no justification for having the characters making a deal with a demon/the devil of the Marvel Universe! And many of these stories could have been told with a married Spider-Man the only difference being that Spider-Man would have been having sex or dating some other chicks but instead be loyal and faithfull to his wife!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The idea to get rid of the marriage. Yes.
    The execution? Almost anything could have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    The idea to get rid of the marriage. Yes.
    The execution? Almost anything could have been better.
    My feelings exactly. While the idea might have merit, OMD itself is such a horrible story I could never be in favor of it under any circumstances.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

A thousand times no!

BANNED

No it was not worth it at all!!!

Spectacular Member

No.

The resulting decade has not seen one story that merits the removal of the marriage.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

It drove me away from Spider-Man and I have no intention of coming back anytime soon.

No. It wasn't worth it. It contributed NOTHING to the book other than eliminating a supporting cast character from Peter's story and opening up the possibility for Peter to get into shallow romance after shallow romance with literally anyone other than MJ. Neither of these things do ANYTHING to make the book better.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    No.

The resulting decade has not seen one story that merits the removal of the marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    It drove me away from Spider-Man and I have no intention of coming back anytime soon.

No. It wasn't worth it. It contributed NOTHING to the book other than eliminating a supporting cast character from Peter's story and opening up the possibility for Peter to get into shallow romance after shallow romance with literally anyone other than MJ. Neither of these things do ANYTHING to make the book better.
    Quoted for truth!! Quesada just wanted to get rid of the marriage because marriage is apparently for "old people." Really, its just for mature people, which may be why some at Marvel couldn't grasp it.

It really wasn't worth it at all and did nothing to improve the series. MJ was a more interesting character than any one of the cardboard cutouts that Peter has dated since OMD and she always will be.

BANNED

Yeah its been worth it. There has been lots of entertaining stories that has come out of it for me. Most noticeably for me Superior.

BANNED

Not really.

The stories since haven't been all that great or memorable, and many of them could have been written with MJ and the marriage front and center to give them a bit of an oomph. The characters resurrected since then have done nothing of particular note [the jury's still out on Ben IMO, too early to tell with him]. All the breakout stars and spin-offs from the era are pretty much all cancelled, the best writer of the Post-OMD era is well and truly past his prime. Superior can be cited as probably the only real peak of the whole enterprise, but even that story is divisive, though not in the unhealthy manner OMD proved to be, that said, even an article on this site labelled it as an ultimately pointless event.

Also, with the daily comic strip and Renew Your Vows continuing presently, it really renders the mission statement of OMD completly null and void. And the fact they're giving a married MJ a major role in Venomverse over the one from the core continuity is pretty telling.

Ten years on, I think the marriage is stronger now than it ever was.