View Poll Results: 10 Years Later, was the deal with Mephisto worth it?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 20.11%
  • No

147 79.89%
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman101 View Post
    I think It was the best thing in the world..so my answer is an emphatic YES it was worth every penny ! he had great "marriage" stories, don't get me wrong there. but Spider-man back then was going through a time period where superman was married .Quesada saw peter going through the same "marriage stories". Possibly MJ getting kidnapped or hurt every other issue,which would turn out to be verbatim boring issues!. OMD was used so they would get around the morality of divorce. the way Marvel went about the story was a huge ..UGH! but the end result is worth it. EX: spider-man joining the FF, superior spider-man, spider-island! Dan Slott has given us some fantastic issues of spider-man (sans,CC meh) and he even pushed for the RYV book that's currently being published so be greatful for that! he even said that it's not out of the question that MJ & pete date in the future...
    It was the worst thing in the world. LOL getting around the morality of marriage by committing an atrocious satanic travesty (SATANISM). You really need to examine your thoughts if you think OMD in any way was good or its payoff.

And what the hell does Supes being married have to do with Spidey. Spidey was married first than Supes and was thoroughly interesting. The times Marvel moved against the marriage they were met with fan backlash. They couldn't take a hint that the readership didn't want the marriage dissolved.

All those stories where Peter joining the F4 or Superior Spider Man could've been done with a married Spidey seamlessly. Spider Man's marital status does not make him boring in the least but rather the shortcomings of the writer.

Dan Slott controls the current direction of Spider Man but he cannot dictate what future writers will do. Wise words from Tom DeFalco.

BANNED

the way Marvel went about the story was a huge ..UGH! but the end result is worth it. EX: spider-man joining the FF, superior spider-man, spider-island!
    Again, all those stories you mentioned could've been done easily with a married Peter Parker. Not a good reason to have him make a pact with Mephisto.

Dan Slott has given us some fantastic issues of spider-man (sans,CC meh) and he even pushed for the RYV book that's currently being published so be greatful for that! he even said that it's not out of the question that MJ & pete date in the future...
    He penned the Secret Wars 2015 era mini, in a time when Marvel was revisiting all of their major past status quos. Big deal, it was a no-brainer for Marvel to do something like that at that time.

As far as it becoming an ongoing series like it has, he seemed virulently opposed to that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    As far as it becoming an ongoing series like it has, he seemed virulently opposed to that.
    ..Which makes his later attempts to take complete credit for the positive critical reception of the RYV ongoing highly suspect.

Probably has a lot to do with the fact Annie is partially his creation and she's the daughter being utilized so he likely earns a cut from her use

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    ..Which makes his later attempts to take complete credit for the positive critical reception of the RYV ongoing highly suspect.

Probably has a lot to do with the fact Annie is partially his creation and she's the daughter being utilized so he likely earns a cut from her use
    How exactly does that work? Say men like Dan Slott and Bendis create their own original characters and they become popular enough that they're also utilized by other writers in other books. How is it that they get royalties from them?

And if so, does Stan Lee have something similar in regards to him creating every Marvel character used in comics, video games, tv and movies?

Incredible Member suemorphplus209's Avatar
    Someplace where there's many, many, trees...

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    It was the worst thing in the world. LOL getting around the morality of marriage by committing an atrocious satanic travesty (SATANISM). You really need to examine your thoughts if you think OMD in any way was good or its payoff.

And what the hell does Supes being married have to do with Spidey. Spidey was married first than Supes and was thoroughly interesting. The times Marvel moved against the marriage they were met with fan backlash. They couldn't take a hint that the readership didn't want the marriage dissolved.

All those stories where Peter joining the F4 or Superior Spider Man could've been done with a married Spidey seamlessly. Spider Man's marital status does not make him boring in the least but rather the shortcomings of the writer.

Dan Slott controls the current direction of Spider Man but he cannot dictate what future writers will do. Wise words from Tom DeFalco.
    Dan Slott and future writers have higher ups that they are subject to the approval of. The writer is not judge, jury, and executioner. Dan Slott got around the status quo with an alternate universe, because there are no such rules. Plus he teases MJ and Peter with his writing.
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

BRING BACK THE OLD WOLVERINE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mary Janes View Post
    The only thing single-Peter has been used for is either shoving him with another woman playfully which doesn't build anywhere, or to simply remind us that Mary Jane is gone from his life. Like, what was even the fucking point?
    Kind of like reminding us how aside from an inner circle of characters, the baby, Gwen, and others are stuck being dead?
    Currently Following: Batman, Detective Comics, Dark Knight 3, Flash, Amazing Spider-Man, Multiversity, Spider-Man, X-Men

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    What do you mean by Ultimate Spider-Man being one of the most anti-OMD comics? I thought the goal of OMD was to get rid of the marriage to make Peter seem younger, and Ultimate Spidey was still in high school. Hell, I always figured OMD would have returned Peter to a high school kid if editorial thought it was at all possible.
    It altered continuity too much to Marvel's choosing. JMS whole idea to undo his own work with OMD got shot down for this reason. Making Peter Parker from 1975 to 1996 a clone all along got shot down as an idea for this reason. Marvel is dead set against this idea of rebooting to a rediculous extent. I can see them forcing themselves into a corner to force a reboot on themselves in some fashion in the future.

I think It was the best thing in the world..so my answer is an emphatic YES it was worth every penny ! he had great "marriage" stories, don't get me wrong there. but Spider-man back then was going through a time period where superman was married .Quesada saw peter going through the same "marriage stories". Possibly MJ getting kidnapped or hurt every other issue,which would turn out to be verbatim boring issues!. OMD was used so they would get around the morality of divorce. the way Marvel went about the story was a huge ..UGH! but the end result is worth it. EX: spider-man joining the FF, superior spider-man, spider-island! Dan Slott has given us some fantastic issues of spider-man (sans,CC meh) and he even pushed for the RYV book that's currently being published so be greatful for that! he even said that it's not out of the question that MJ & pete date in the future...
    Yeah, pretty much describes the situation right now

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    Dan Slott and future writers have higher ups that they are subject to the approval of. The writer is not judge, jury, and executioner. Dan Slott got around the status quo with an alternate universe, because there are no such rules. Plus he teases MJ and Peter with his writing.
    True. But the writer is the main guiding force of the book so they do have a level of power and independence though in the case of OMD and the Spider Marriage are very strict.

How RYV was allowed to be is beyond me but it was an obvious thing to do during the Secret Wars event where dozens of realities from Marvel's previous status quos were being explored and RYV was the second best selling series behind the main event issues.

He teases Peter and MJ and he never delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    True. But the writer is the main guiding force of the book so they do have a level of power and independence though in the case of OMD and the Spider Marriage are very strict.

How RYV was allowed to be is beyond me but it was an obvious thing to do during the Secret Wars event where dozens of realities from Marvel's previous status quos were being explored and RYV was the second best selling series behind the main event issues.

He teases Peter and MJ and he never delivers.
    RYV is not in the 616, so him being older and married in another universe altogether is ok.

Sometimes teasing happens, and Slott gets away with it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    RYV is not in the 616, so him being older and married in another universe altogether is ok.

Sometimes teasing happens, and Slott gets away with it.
    Tell me, what is the difference between RYV Peter and 616 Peter, fundamentally?

Peter being a father or a husband has not detracted from his appeal in the slightest. He is still our Friendly Neighborhood Spider Man. Quite frankly these connections enhance him even more and make him a more relatable character and excellent supporting characters as opposed to Peter being all alone in the main canon.

The POV that Peter is supposed to be this man-boy of a character is regressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    What do you think this is? An X-book? An Ironman title?

Anyway, I think it was worth it. The marriage was dragging things down and had been for a long time. It needed to go.
    Have you considered that maybe they were doing it that way to mouthpiece their own personal "end the marriage" point of view?

BANNED

he even pushed for the RYV book that's currently being published so be greatful for that!
    You do realize that even when OMD/BND was initiated, we still had plenty of pro-marriage material BEFORE RYV right?

-Spider-Girl continued to run for another three years
    -We had The Real Clone Saga mini-series
    -The daily comic strip, outisde of ONE story that pandered to the BND era, carried on with the marriage as normal afterwards and has continued to do so

Slott didn't get the ball rolling on the marriage having a lifeline after OMD. He certaingly added to it, but we've never actually went a year without the marriage being in print. Hence why I really don't think OMD achieved anything of note even as a mission statement. It's just illusion of change like everything is. Despite it all, Peter and MJ are thirty years married
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-01-2017 at 02:29 PM.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

No, absolutely 100% not. Besides the art, nearly everything about it was horrible and painful. I am very glad that I was not reading Spider-Man comics during the BND era, as it probably would have been an almost 100% miserable experience (beside the Kaine and Anti-Venom stories).

The thing is, while I loved the marriage and definitely want it back, its destruction was not the worst part of OMD. No, the worst part was how the writers used it as a way to almost completely rewrite Spider-Man's status quo. Aunt May's house was back, Peter was suddenly back to being broke, his web powers were gone, and probably the worst, Harry Osborn, who had been sent away in the awesome SSM #200, was back and running around. People complain about nostalgia often dictating the cyclical nature of modern comics; OMD/BND was this taken to a an unbelievably vile extent. It was like if a bunch of aged music critics got magic powers and used them to wipe from history almost every piece of music recorded after 1980, allowing only crappy bootlegs and copies half the quality of iTunes mp3's to exist of the pre-wipe material to exist. If Quesada and the rest had used OMD to restore Peter's identity and the marriage, that would have been bad enough, but they instead rewrote Spider-Man history to try to restore some kind of ideal golden age for the character. It was unnecessary and offensive to just about everyone involved, and their obstinate defense of it just made things worse. People complained about Ben Reilly and the writers listened. People complained about MJ being killed and the writers listened. People complained about the changes of OMD, and the writers flipped the bird. I really hope down the line a new generation of writers can out and out say that OMD was an unqualified mistake.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    No, absolutely 100% not. Besides the art, nearly everything about it was horrible and painful. I am very glad that I was not reading Spider-Man comics during the BND era, as it probably would have been an almost 100% miserable experience (beside the Kaine and Anti-Venom stories).

The thing is, while I loved the marriage and definitely want it back, its destruction was not the worst part of OMD. No, the worst part was how the writers used it as a way to almost completely rewrite Spider-Man's status quo. Aunt May's house was back, Peter was suddenly back to being broke, his web powers were gone, and probably the worst, Harry Osborn, who had been sent away in the awesome SSM #200, was back and running around. People complain about nostalgia often dictating the cyclical nature of modern comics; OMD/BND was this taken to a an unbelievably vile extent. It was like if a bunch of aged music critics got magic powers and used them to wipe from history almost every piece of music recorded after 1980, allowing only crappy bootlegs and copies half the quality of iTunes mp3's to exist of the pre-wipe material to exist. If Quesada and the rest had used OMD to restore Peter's identity and the marriage, that would have been bad enough, but they instead rewrote Spider-Man history to try to restore some kind of ideal golden age for the character. It was unnecessary and offensive to just about everyone involved, and their obstinate defense of it just made things worse. People complained about Ben Reilly and the writers listened. People complained about MJ being killed and the writers listened. People complained about the changes of OMD, and the writers flipped the bird. I really hope down the line a new generation of writers can out and out say that OMD was an unqualified mistake.
    Awesome speech. I do believe many writers accept OMD was a mistake yet it served the purpose of undoing the marriage even in the most horrible way possible.

I didn't want the marriage to end or them to split up, not after they went through the hell of the 90's Clone Saga and the plane crash where if they survived all of that, there was no way the two would've split up or divorced.

Harry being brought back is as large a sin as bringing Norman back at the end of the Clone Saga. But the truest most offensive thing about OMD was watching Peter and MJ making a faustian pact with the devil. SATANISM. Marvel's flagship character and couple committing such a heinous sin, two of the most morally righteous and good characters in Marvel doing that was a sin in and of itself.