View Poll Results: 10 Years Later, was the deal with Mephisto worth it?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 20.11%
  • No

147 79.89%
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    Or he would just have Mary Jane tell Peter that she isn't "strong enough to be with him" (ugh) and proceed to leave him and take Annie with her.
    Highly doubtful. Quesada did not want Peter and MJ divorcing or separating like that in the first place. If he thought them giving up on their marriage without a kid wasn't possible, there's no way he would allow it to stand with one either. People forget he's the one who also still has to OK the likes of RYV to begin with.

Why do you assume that just because he's been kicked upstairs he has no power?

OMD ends with the insinuation that it is only because of Mephisto's powers that MJ ultimately tells Peter these things.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-30-2017 at 01:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Highly doubtful. Quesada did not want Peter and MJ divorcing. OMD ends with the insinuation that it is only because of Mephisto's powers that MJ ultimately tells Peter these things.
    You probably placed more thought into the implications of that story than Quesada did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    You probably placed more thought into the implications of that story than Quesada did.
    It's there on the page during MJ's speech. JMS is the one who hedged his bets FOR Joe to save him face when it went **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Highly doubtful. Quesada did not want Peter and MJ divorcing or separating like that in the first place. If he thought them giving up on their marriage without a kid wasn't possible, there's no way he would allow it to stand with one either. People forget he's the one who also still has to OK the likes of RYV to begin with.

Why do you assume that just because he's been kicked upstairs he has no power?

OMD ends with the insinuation that it is only because of Mephisto's powers that MJ ultimately tells Peter these things.
    Of course i know that he has power; but given that RYV is an alternate universe, and alternate universes are not that important.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, by the same reason of why Quesada made all of this.
    Exactly...instead of having MJ deciding not to go through with the marriage because she couldn't except the fact that Peter was Spidey just have her want a divorce for the same illogical reasons.Sure...it still would have been a crap reason but it would have been accepted by fans a little bit better than what OMD delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Exactly...instead of having MJ deciding not to go through with the marriage because she couldn't except the fact that Peter was Spidey just have her want a divorce for the same illogical reasons.Sure...it still would have been a crap reason but it would have been accepted by fans a little bit better than what OMD delivered.
    I'm not so sure. I object to the premise itself, so the mechanics are kind of irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm not so sure. I object to the premise itself, so the mechanics are kind of irrelevant.
    Well, its not like i would like it; but im not against about them breaking up through a divorce or taking a time apart or something.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I agree with this. For MJ to have divorced Peter for that reason would have been just as inconsistent with her prior characterization as her decision to leave him for that reason. And the motivation to split them up in the first place is just awfully, tragically misguided, and feels like a betrayal for fans who were invested enough in the romance for all those years to believe Peter when he told MJ that he needed her, that he couldn't do what he does without her.

If they had broken up or she had died instead of making the deal with Mephisto, I still would have stopped reading. It just isn't the same without the marriage. But maybe if it happened a different way I wouldn't still be so raw about it ten years later. (To be fair to myself, I hadn't thought much about this for years, but I've just finished a marathon reading of ASM through right before OMD--you're welcome, Marvel and ComiXology--so it's my fault for reopening old wounds.)