Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I'm still cringing that Jay Garrick is going to look like John Wesley Shipp for the foreseeable future. Horrible.
    ...Wasn't that for just one panel? I doubt he's going to consistently look like that.

(Besides Johny Wesley Shipp Jay is awesome).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...Wasn't that for just one panel? I doubt he's going to consistently look like that.

(Besides Johny Wesley Shipp Jay is awesome).
    I certainly hope it won't be consistant.

John Wesley Shipp is awesome, and I think he was a better Barry Allen than Grant Gustin. From what I've seen, he also makes a great Jay, and that casting decision was excellent. That said, I'd still rather have Jay's Post-Crisis look. On the page, Shipp's face just doesn't look right as Jay.

From what I can tell, Dark Days seems to be the Forever Evil of Rebirth.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Your entire argument is predicated on the films being more important than the comics, something I think you'd find is an unpopular opinion here.
    nope. not "more important." more widely known, which it is.

do you really think audiences knew who deadshot was before will smith played him? now everyone around the world knows him. do you really think anyone outside of comic book fans and folks nostalgic for the old cartoons even gave aquaman a second thought? by the time jl and aquaman come out, he's going to be a household name planetwide.

it's all about scale. if little kids want to go find will smith deadshot or jason mamoa aquaman, they are going to be sadly let down if they look to comics. it's a huge missed opportunity, especially in a world where comic books in general are struggling to remain relevant (and active).

your mistake is thinking that bc synergy, the notion is "more important." it's not. it's synergy, and as a business model it WORKS.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    do you really think audiences knew who deadshot was before will smith played him? now everyone around the world knows him. do you really think anyone outside of comic book fans and folks nostalgic for the old cartoons even gave aquaman a second thought? by the time jl and aquaman come out, he's going to be a household name planetwide.

Yes.

For all the WRONG reasons, I'm sorry to say.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Your entire argument is predicated on the films being more important than the comics, something I think you'd find is an unpopular opinion here.

Aquaman isn't Jason Mamoa. Jason Mamoa is playing Aquaman. There's a bit of a difference there. Changing a beloved character because Hollywood says so is toxic to the industry. I loved the Guardians of the Galaxy movies but don't care much for the books. And that's okay.

Should Superman brood more because BvS made a lot of dosh? Moreover, he's been a blond on Family Guy, Justice League, Batman The Brave and the Bold, and his most infamous incarnation: Superfriends.

Let's go back to Deadshot. He's white in Arrow and some DTV stuff. It honestly sounds more like you feel the films carry more weight than the source material. Moreover, Will Smith (while charismatic) wasn't a great Deadshot. Not nearly enough of a douche. I wouldn't use him as a positive example. Without the mask, he may as well have been an original character.
    We are dealing with a corporation. The movie Wonder Woman may make $800 million in 2 months, it is unlikely that Wonder Woman comics will make $800 million total even if they are published for the next 75 years. Yes, to the people at WB (who are the only people that matter) the movies are more important than the books. I don't see how that can be in doubt
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 06-13-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    From what I can tell, Dark Days seems to be the Forever Evil of Rebirth.
    Eh, FE was about villains taking on even worse villains. This is about heroes uniting to save the world. FE had tie ins and a villains month and this only has spinoff books.

Fantastic Member

i can not wait until the forge is in my hands bringing back mr. terrific and classic hawkman & hawkgirl is what i want! now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Yes.

For all the WRONG reasons, I'm sorry to say.
    what are the "wrong" reasons exactly? besides you not liking them, whatever they might be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    We are dealing with a corporation. The movie Wonder Woman may make $800 million in 2 months, it is unlikely that Wonder Woman comics will make $800 million total even if they are published for the next 75 years. Yes, to the people at WB (who are the only people that matter) the movies are more important than the books. I don't see how that can be in doubt
    This, the movie Wonder Woman alone probably made more money then all of DC comics publishing sales in what, 5 years? I know this is comics and all but people really need to get a grasp on reality. Especially with the fact that comics is dying. A slow death, but dying none the less and Rebirth only provided DC with a short dose of morphine. If things does not change, you won't have books to be complaining about, because the only thing that's going to be left is movies and television.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    This, the movie Wonder Woman alone probably made more money then all of DC comics publishing sales in what, 5 years? I know this is comics and all but people really need to get a grasp on reality. Especially with the fact that comics is dying. A slow death, but dying none the less and Rebirth only provided DC with a short dose of morphine. If things does not change, you won't have books to be complaining about, because the only thing that's going to be left is movies and television.
    Yes, clearly we need to get a grasp on reality. It's not at all like we do understand the situation from a business POV, but are still pissed about it. Sorry, but even in the face of a crap reality, while WB can value the movies over the comics, some of us still value fiction driven by creators, and not by executives who want the books to look more like (Usually) crappy films. And frankly, if you think characters and stories more resembling what mainstream audiences know is going to save the industry, then you're the one who doesn't know how things work. Yes, casuals absolutely come into stores to check out books after major releases. But the number of them who do so is microscopic compared to the total amount of people who see movies and TV shows. And the number of people who actually stick with comics from there is even smaller.

If being popular in the mainstream, or at least within groups of people who really like some of these characters, actually translated to comic sales, Red Hood and the Outlaws and Green Arrow would be top sellers. Wonder Woman may see a small sales boost in the next few months, but it won't be anything drastic. All making the comics look more like the movies accomplishes is irritating the fans who have already been around for years, and will continue to be around for years.

Hopefully the industry will find a way to grow, but matching things up with TV shows and movies isn't going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    If being popular in the mainstream, or at least within groups of people who really like some of these characters, actually translated to comic sales, Red Hood and the Outlaws and Green Arrow would be top sellers. Wonder Woman may see a small sales boost in the next few months, but it won't be anything drastic. All making the comics look more like the movies accomplishes is irritating the fans who have already been around for years, and will continue to be around for years.
    I agree. Comic shops are so out of the norm for mainstream audiences. If there is any boost, it'll be at the bookstores with TPBs.
    The comic shop crowd is generally set in their ways and aren't influenced by the movies, except in either praising or condemning them.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

So once again, Katar Hol is axed and Carter Hall takes over....*twirls finger*

Is it THAT hard to just have a Thanagarian themed Katar for the JLA and an Egyptian themed Carter for the JSA instead of axing Katar yet again (who had none of the baggage of the Hawkworld deal or the continuity mess of before)?
    Last edited by C-Dot; 06-13-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    So once again, Katar Hol is axed and Carter Hall takes over....*twirls finger*

Is it THAT hard to just have a Thanagarian themed Katar for the JLA and an Egyptian themed Carter for the JSA instead of axing Katar yet again (who had none of the baggage of the Hawkworld deal or the continuity mess of before)?
    You would think having both Carter Hall and Katar Hol would be no problem.
    Especially if they put Katar in the Ostrander costume so they didn't look alike.

Seriously, DC just makes it more complicated than it has to be.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

I actually don't want to crap on synergy. Synergy is why right now Flash, Green Arrow and Supergirl are three of my favorite comics, and Justice League of America with all its Legends similarities, is way up there, too. I mean that's TV show synergy, and I like DC's TV stable way more than its movies currently (exempting WW, which was fantastic but also just generally true as heck to the character anyway). Synergy in and of itself is not bad - although I'll also add that the comics I'm digging right now aren't just synergistic with their film-media portrayals, but also are synergistic with the sort of "BEST OF" their own publication histories. Green Arrow is not just channeling the CW, it's channeling O'Neil, it's channeling Grell, and it's channeling the Golden Age. Flash is not just channeling CW, but a lot of Johns, Waid, Morrison, and Infantino concepts. Supergirl is heavy on the CW (all culled from cool parts of her long history, right back to the Danvers) but it's also utterly jam-packed with Morrison stuff, Burnside Batgirl, yadda yadda.

Rebirth definitely feels like a "DCU BEST OF" album.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com