Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Wonder Woman movie (SPOILERS)

Let's talk spoilers!

I like the movie. Far from great but definitely worthy of being Wonder Woman's first movie. Sometimes it built up to really powerful moments and fell just short of bringing it home but it was good nonetheless. Trevor's death needed just a little bit more in the way of maybe Diana searching for Trevor but not being able to find him afterwards for it to really settle that he was gone. I thought the villains were a little too campy sometimes but whatever. There was only one awkward scene transition where I felt like something was either missing or completely avoidable but maybe I was the only one who noticed it. I was also a little underwhelmed by Aries. That could have been due to The Dark Knight setting the bar for villains who try to corrupt the heroes. No one did it better than Ledger. For a movie that played it so straight often the few campy or really comic book moments seemed to clash tonal-wise a little.

It felt like a marvel movie in a lot of ways. Very fun, with a good mix of humor and drama. Toyed with a few dark themes without really delving too deep in them. And had a fairly underwhelming villain.

Overally probably the best in the recent batch of DC movies. Not the greatest super hero movie I've ever seen, but it got me hopeful that DC can pull this off.

Myself, I feel Diana would have driven home a message a lot harsher to the conference room of Generals and Politicians, after Steves speech about how men are evil after all. (Even Steve himself said he was evil). As it was, Diana approached that patriarchal room as a novice, who had never came in contact with men of power in the early 20th Century, who may have thought this unwelcome woman's presence could have been best spent elsewhere looking after babies. That scene could have been better expounded I think, from the POV of an insulated lady, unfamiliar with male dominance.

The other scene I found well made, but perhaps needed more treatment is the one mentioned earlier, (Steves speech), when Diana realised the war isn't going to end because of one act she did. Then Steve began to explain why these wars don't end, and it's because it's true - people are bad sometimes, and don't need any help to be bad, really. Diana kept harping that the war should stop now, but because it didn't she was perplexed. She made it stop in the end, though. There was another reason for that, and it was her faith that was found to be correct, and Steves and mankinds was found to be incorrect. Not sure if that is schmaltzy but it certainly fits with an idealist like Diana, who has to be right, or she looses heart. It also is the reason, (mankinds evil), why Diana didn't interfere in WWII I think.

I was listening for the Wonder Woman theme music, and it only came at the end of the movie as the credits started. I think that piece of WW branding in music is fantastic. When I heard it in the Batman-Superman movie I didn't think much of it. Now? I think it should be played at her every appearance. Anybody know who wrote it? I think it has a Turkish vein to the busy strain, either violins or crude flutes.

I particularly took notice of the WWI scenes to see if it was true life, with the machines, the guns, and the mud and misery. It came close, but the massive tanks could have been more formidable - at least like in "Time Machine".

Overall, I liked Diana's spunk as a female moving in a male society. She was told to not go in rooms, and she did. She was told to not speak, and she did. She was told what to wear, but she picked her style. She even realised Steve, whom she was attracted too, could not be trusted either, and she had to depend on her own judgement. She never listened to Steve, or authoritative men. She always went her own way, and spoke to power like she wanted.

I will get the DVD when it comes out.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-02-2017 at 01:23 AM.

I think it was a very good movie but not great. But a very good movie is something the DCEU desperately needed. Gal and Chris Pine were fantastic. Her smile is just amazing. It was a little slow in the middle but they needed to establish the setting and introduce the supporting character. The villains were pretty average but I loved seeing the Perez Ares in live action.

There were some things I had a problem with. That mystery super soldier gas that Dr. Poison was supplying General Ludendorff. It was never explained. Just this magic gas that gave him for super strength. Why didn't they supply it to their troops or do anything of interest with it? The whole thing was pretty silly. Also the final scenes before the finale were kind of choppy. I didn't like the fact that Diana has been in Man's World for 100 years but the only time she made her presence known was in WWI. did she sit out WWII? Wonder Woman didn't think fighting Hilter was a worthy enough cause to jump back into action?!?! Surely there would have been reports of a super powered Amazon fighting Nazis. But the only evidence of her existence was the 100 year old photograph. It would worked if it wasn't connected to the DCEU. at the end it shows that Wonder Woman jumps into action when there is trouble but that contradicts the overal story of the DCEU.

Overall it was enjoyable. A solid B. No big surprises.

Ultimate Member

I think the greatest strength of the movie was keeping things simple.

It didn't try too hard one way or the other to be "epic".

I know this might "trigger" some people but it felt a lot like a phase one Marvel movie but with a slightly bigger budget.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Let's talk spoilers!

I like the movie. Far from great but definitely worthy of being Wonder Woman's first movie. Sometimes it built up to really powerful moments and fell just short of bringing it home but it was good nonetheless. Trevor's death needed just a little bit more in the way of maybe Diana searching for Trevor but not being able to find him afterwards for it to really settle that he was gone. I thought the villains were a little too campy sometimes but whatever. There was only one awkward scene transition where I felt like something was either missing or completely avoidable but maybe I was the only one who noticed it. I was also a little underwhelmed by Aries. That could have been due to The Dark Knight setting the bar for villains who try to corrupt the heroes. No one did it better than Ledger. For a movie that played it so straight often the few campy or really comic book moments seemed to clash tonal-wise a little.
    I know a lot of people complain about Marvel's villains (and about WW's too) but I think a focus on the hero's journey makes for a better movie.

I know some movies have balanced out the two well (Spider-man 2, The Dark Knight) but those are the exceptions and not the rule.

Ultimate Member

I'm so used to these movies having weak villains that I just kind of expect it these days. And as an origin film, I think that it more acceptable here. Now if they say, introduce Cheetah or Circe in the sequel, then I hope that they spend the time to make them more interesting and formidable foes. Also either of those two have the most potential to be the "dark mirror" to Diana anyway.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think it was a very good movie but not great. But a very good movie is something the DCEU desperately needed. Gal and Chris Pine were fantastic. Her smile is just amazing. It was a little slow in the middle but they needed to establish the setting and introduce the supporting character. The villains were pretty average but I loved seeing the Perez Ares in live action.

There were some things I had a problem with. That mystery super soldier gas that Dr. Poison was supplying General Ludendorff. It was never explained. Just this magic gas that gave him for super strength. Why didn't they supply it to their troops or do anything of interest with it? The whole thing was pretty silly. Also the final scenes before the finale were kind of choppy. I didn't like the fact that Diana has been in Man's World for 100 years but the only time she made her presence known was in WWI. did she sit out WWII? Wonder Woman didn't think fighting Hilter was a worthy enough cause to jump back into action?!?! Surely there would have been reports of a super powered Amazon fighting Nazis. But the only evidence of her existence was the 100 year old photograph. It would worked if it wasn't connected to the DCEU. at the end it shows that Wonder Woman jumps into action when there is trouble but that contradicts the overal story of the DCEU.

Overall it was enjoyable. A solid B. No big surprises.
    I think I give it a A- or a B+. It doesn't take a lot to please me. I enjoyed the camp even if it was a little jarring sometimes. I agree about the general taking that gas though, it made no sense that they wouldn't have an army of guys taking that stuff.

Diana also left her sword on the roof of that watchtower and I kept thinking about how it's going to come back to haunt her, but when the real Aries shows up she goes back for the sword off camera while he waits for her to retrieve it. That felt absolutely silly and completely avoidable. I could tell something was missing or there was some kind of mist made. But that's only a nitpick really.

I really liked some of the inspirational moments even though they did quite pay off after the build up. I was waiting for her to really SHOCK the enemy and have them wetting their pants but we never got that even after she wrecked a tower with a sniper in it (which was sweet).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I know a lot of people complain about Marvel's villains (and about WW's too) but I think a focus on the hero's journey makes for a better movie.

I know some movies have balanced out the two well (Spider-man 2, The Dark Knight) but those are the exceptions and not the rule.
    I think we are all guilty of using Heath Ledger's Joker as the bar for villains and it's really not fair to any other villains. For all the complaints about Marvel's villains, I haven't seen any besides Ledger's Joker and Molina's Doc Oc that I could say were showstoppers. Zod was overkill. I won't get started on him. Give me a Ronan the Accuser or even Aries here and I'm good to go.

Ultimate Member

I'd probably give it an 8.5 to 9/10, something in that range. It was far better than I dared hope, and while perfect, easily the best DC-related film since TDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

B

For the first movie I would agree the important thing is developing the hero. If that means the villain taking a backseat, that's an acceptable loss.

That said, because it CAN be done it's hard not to at least make that a part of the critique of the movie. Loki for example did manage to really stand out in the first Thor movie. But it is fair to argue that it's more the exception than the rule at this point.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I think I give it a A- or a B+. It doesn't take a lot to please me. I enjoyed the camp even if it was a little jarring sometimes. I agree about the general taking that gas though, it made no sense that they wouldn't have an army of guys taking that stuff.

Diana also left her sword on the roof of that watchtower and I kept thinking about how it's going to come back to haunt her, but when the real Aries shows up she goes back for the sword off camera while he waits for her to retrieve it. That felt absolutely silly and completely avoidable. I could tell something was missing or there was some kind of mist made. But that's only a nitpick really.

I really liked some of the inspirational moments even though they did quite pay off after the build up. I was waiting for her to really SHOCK the enemy and have them wetting their pants but we never got that even after she wrecked a tower with a sniper in it (which was sweet).

I think we are all guilty of using Heath Ledger's Joker as the bar for villains and it's really not fair to any other villains. For all the complaints about Marvel's villains, I haven't seen any besides Ledger's Joker and Molina's Doc Oc that I could say were showstoppers. Zod was overkill. I won't get started on him. Give me a Ronan the Accuser or even Aries here and I'm good to go.
    Loki?
    Fass-neto??

Or you mean straight up villain fo the week type deal?? Then hmmm... Abomination from Incredible Hulk??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    ... I didn't like the fact that Diana has been in Man's World for 100 years but the only time she made her presence known was in WWI. did she sit out WWII? Wonder Woman didn't think fighting Hilter was a worthy enough cause to jump back into action?!?! Surely there would have been reports of a super powered Amazon fighting Nazis. But the only evidence of her existence was the 100 year old photograph. It would worked if it wasn't connected to the DCEU. at the end it shows that Wonder Woman jumps into action when there is trouble but that contradicts the overal story of the DCEU.
    I forgot to comment on this point. I agree that it defies logic that she would not get involved in WW2. They may imply later that she worked covertly. I don't like that either. This was essentially DC's chance to break free from the restrictions put on the universe by Man of Steel and say "Diana was a superhero and the world did not freak out about it". It's a shame because they killed off most of the witnesses; the whole town that she saved was wiped out. They didn't have an existential crisis over Wonder Woman's existence, they celebrated her.

It seems to fit the theme of the movie; are humans messed up beyond repair? The answer is No. Flawed, yes. But there is enough good in us that Diana was able to find which made us worth saving. The worst should not be assumed about humankind. Diana didn't have to hide her abilities for fear of our reaction to her; it never crossed her mind. Maybe it was that childlike innocence in her. But the bottom line is that no one lost their freaking minds over her existence. They were shocked but they got over it. How could these people exist in a world that's supposed to behave irrationally and fear beings like Diana, according to Man of Steel?

This movie did it right! I'm so glad it didn't try to pick up any of that baggage from its predecessors. Let Wonder Woman fight in WW2. Let her be a superheroine! Don't tie her down WB/DC. LOOSE HER SHACKLES! Just ignore the other stuff. We'll get over it quickly enough.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    Loki?
    Fass-neto??

Or you mean straight up villain fo the week type deal?? Then hmmm... Abomination from Incredible Hulk??
    I don't care for Loki. He does nothing for me.
    And Stryker was the best X-villain.

Retired

As a comic book movie, I would say it's more BATMAN BEGINS than THE DARK KNIGHT. But that's all right by me, because my heart is more with BATMAN BEGINS. I still remember how that movie made me feel. Whereas, THE DARK KNIGHT was a movie about ideas--a head movie.

WONDER WOMAN does the neat trick of both playing on the feelings but also introducing complex ideas. However, for a first movie, I think it's more important to develop the feelling and to establish an emotional connection with the protagonist. TDK was less about Batman and more about the Joker--but that's okay, because BEGINS had given Bruce enough development.

If WONDER WOMAN had spent more time on the villain--and given a stronger villain--that would have taken away scenes from Diana, who is the heart of the movie. It's our emotional investment in her spiritual journey that carries the movie.

Given what the lastest comic books have done with Cheetah, I think she's probably the one villain who could come close to the Joker, as a Wonder Woman foe. However, having that character in this movie would have divided our loyalties too much.

The bookend pieces of the movie seemed thrown in just to introduce the JUSTICE LEAGUE movie and connect with BATMAN V SUPERMAN, for those that had seen it. But it doesn't help this movie very much. There isn't a lot there to tease another WW movie-whereas BEGINS had a great teaser ending that left you wanting to see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    Loki?
    Fass-neto??

Magneto is an example of playing more the long game with a villain. He actually starts out as a protagonist and ends up becoming a villain down the line. They did the same thing with Mordo in Dr. Strange. And that's a good potential way to make you give a damn about the villain in the long run.