Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

While the movie certainly isn't flawless, a lot of the so-called "problems" stated above aren't actually so, and they ARE in fact explained in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's the Indiana Jones principle at work. When you have good will toward a movie, you're willing to overlook all the dumb things in the movie--because it's those dumb things that allow the thrill ride to happen. I could spend hours poking holes in the plot for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK--but what would be the point, the movie was a lot of fun which is why it made so much money in its day.

When people don't have good will toward a movie, they aren't willing to overlook all the dumb things that happen in it and that's all they want to talk about.
    Its something ive been saying for over a year. Now DCEU were forgetting to make the movies fun thats why the flaws in those movies get ripped so hard compared to MCU movies. Marvel knows if you make something fun so ppl have a good time they will overlook alot of things. BvS was so unfun that every bad decision was amplified 10 fold.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Its something ive been saying for over a year. Now DCEU were forgetting to make the movies fun thats why the flaws in those movies get ripped so hard compared to MCU movies. Marvel knows if you make something fun so ppl have a good time they will overlook alot of things. BvS was so unfun that every bad decision was amplified 10 fold.
    These are some very fair points.
    And while I may not 100% agree, it goes back to one of the complaints I heard from critics and people in person: BvS took itself way too seriously.
    I don't necessarily agree, but I do understand what people are meaning when they say that.

dc still lazy to create costume for Ares, looks like taken from Doomsday CGI template. for a greek god its not very majestic.

Retired

Personally I don't understand why movies and TV shows aren't made like Irwin Allen's TIME TUNNEL which used stock footage and sets that 20th Century Fox had laying around from all their period movies.

I'm not picky and if it would reduce the budget, I see no reason not to re-use as much as they can get their hands on from other productions. I guess it's because they have to serve the interests of fastidious cinephiles, who will give them a bad rating on Rotten Tomatoes if they don't.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ByPrimus View Post
    dc still lazy to create costume for Ares, looks like taken from Doomsday CGI template. for a greek god its not very majestic.
    It was almost an exact replica of his traditional comic book armor.

It's not meant to look majestic. It's meant to make soldiers poop their pants at the sight of him.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

There has to be more to Superman's x-ray vision than that, because everything has x-rays going through it all the time and it doesn't make things transparent. If you get an x-ray, neither you nor the technician can see any difference--it's only the film on one side of you that "sees" the x-rays coming through from the other side of you. So Superman's retinae are the film--his eyes being both the emitter and the receptor doesn't make sense. But it's a good visual, so that's why we have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    LOL. both of these explanations are pretty funny.

("feminum"? I guess it's not any more laugh-out-loud stupid than "Unobtainium") it would have been better to say... "magic!"

and for Supes: "dude, whatever, he just can!" even if his body emitted X-rays that wouldn't mean he would be able to see the results. and it still wouldn't allow him to look through concrete walls or inside the steel hull of a ship. ;-)

the problem with BS 'scientific' explanations is that it doesn't take long for people to figure out it's just 'magic' by another name. might as well go straight for the simplest and laziest explanation and save everybody the trouble.
    Actually Superman's X-ray vision sort of makes sense. Our nerves use electricity to function. That's how an electric eel creates it's electrical jolts. And X-rays are created using high voltage electrical beams.
    So Superman's optic nerves could create the X-rays and heat vision. With the lens in his eyes to focus them. And the X-rays would pass through soft objects like flesh but be reflected back by bone.
    Varying the intensity and focal point would allow him to see through steel and concrete but still see humans on the other side. So we can indeed use scientific explanations without resorting to magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    It was almost an exact replica of his traditional comic book armor.

It's not meant to look majestic. It's meant to make soldiers poop their pants at the sight of him.
    I liked how Ares created his armor from the wreckage of war. A god of war's armor was the product of war. Also nice touch to use his fingers to carve the eye holes in the helmet from the molten steel.

Retired

I think Superman could do magnetic resonance imaging--and maybe ultrasound, too. But then lead wouldn't be a problem--and I like the lead thing, even if it doesn't make sense.

The powers should be whatever is trending now. So x-rays were this new thing back in the day--people were going around the country doing x-rays like it was the hula hoop. Nowadays, Superman should be able to see social media.

I think Superman could do magnetic resonance imaging--and maybe ultrasound, too. But then lead wouldn't be a problem--and I like the lead thing, even if it doesn't make sense.

The powers should be whatever is trending now. So x-rays were this new thing back in the day--people were going around the country doing x-rays like it was the hula hoop. Nowadays, Superman should be able to see social media.
    Superman already has super sensitive hearing. So ultrasound could work. Just vocalize high frequency sound waves and use his ears to "see" through objects. Sort of like how bats find moths.
    Actually I'm sort of surprised Batman doesn't use an ultrasound device to "see" in the dark. Or does he? Don't recall ever reading anything like that.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Superman already has super sensitive hearing. So ultrasound could work. Just vocalize high frequency sound waves and use his ears to "see" through objects. Sort of like how bats find moths.
    Actually I'm sort of surprised Batman doesn't use an ultrasound device to "see" in the dark. Or does he? Don't recall ever reading anything like that.
    I like the idea but it sounds like something the red pajama devil guy of the other company does.

Is Zeus dead or alive in the WW movie. If he's alive, maybe the New gods will kill him?

Here's what I want for Suicide Squad 2: The Flash travels back in time and saves Steve Trevor for Diana without her knowing about it. Steve replaces Rick Flag as team leader after Flag is killed by Deathstroke (Deathstroke makes it look like its an accident/collateral). Deadshot has been replaced by Deathstroke and lives happily ever after but never again in a DCEU movie. Amanda stays where she is.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I like the idea but it sounds like something the red pajama devil guy of the other company does.

Is Zeus dead or alive in the WW movie. If he's alive, maybe the New gods will kill him?

Here's what I want for Suicide Squad 2: The Flash travels back in time and saves Steve Trevor for Diana without her knowing about it. Steve replaces Rick Flag as team leader after Flag is killed by Deathstroke (Deathstroke makes it look like its an accident/collateral). Deadshot has been replaced by Deathstroke and lives happily ever after but never again in a DCEU movie. Amanda stays where she is.
    With the way Will smith played the character i much rather him had been Bronze Tiger. That said the only reasons thay movies even semi watchable is because him and half that cast are having fun with the material.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Just to be clear this didnt bother me at all while i was watching the movie. But when the movie was done it was just a a question i had. Wasnt sure what her vague god powers were or what the braclets actually did. But its not some burning question that effects my enjoyment of the movie at all. Was just curious if i was missing something that explained it
    Since the Gail Simone era (and her new origin) she can channel/summon Lightning using her bracelets, as well as generate shockwaves. Post-Crisis, she could also generate force fields from her bracelets. (As shown in BvS)

since i missed a lot of things... how could kirk discover the amazon island when they clearly have not been in contact with the outside world for ages?
    did he breach some kind of portal or deception spell?
    how does diana know about sockrat (bill&ted tribute)?

i dislike it when movies break suspension of disbelief

why weren´t the other amazons afraid of ares his intervention?

the 1st arc and diana´s motivations are poorly written
    Last edited by abulafia; 06-19-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Retired

Themyscira is hidden. We see this with the ship that breaks through the fog to find a clear sky. Likewise when Diana first sees the plane, there's a strange effect in the sky as it breaks through. There might be some gravitational field, which pulls the ship down and which might explain why the plane crashes so quickly as soon as it breaks through.

Ares is getting closer to finding the Amazons, so the magic that keeps them hidden may be weakening. Also Diana using her bracelet power may have weakened the dimensional wall between the world of the Amazons and the world of men.

Presumably ships and airplanes have broken through before. But no one survives--however, texts wash up on shore and the Amazons have studied the languages in these books.

The Amazons are afraid of Ares. All of them except Diana escaped from the world of men, when Ares was battling the other gods. And they know that he survived. Hippolyta and Antiope are both afraid that Ares will find them. Presumably Ares can sense Diana's godhood which might be drawing him toward Themyscira. This is why Hippolyta doesn't want Diana to discover her powers, because Ares will find her (using his god-radar) and he will come after her and the Amazons.

The movie doesn't spoon feed answers. But it gives you enough to work with. Diana's motivation is very clear. She wants to find and kill Ares because she believes he's the source of all the troubles in the world of men. She and Steve talk about this throughout the whole movie.

Themyscira is hidden. We see this with the ship that breaks through the fog to find a clear sky. Likewise when Diana first sees the plane, there's a strange effect in the sky as it breaks through. There might be some gravitational field, which pulls the ship down and which might explain why the plane crashes so quickly as soon as it breaks through.

Ares is getting closer to finding the Amazons, so the magic that keeps them hidden may be weakening. Also Diana using her bracelet power may have weakened the dimensional wall between the world of the Amazons and the world of men.

Presumably ships and airplanes have broken through before. But no one survives--however, texts wash up on shore and the Amazons have studied the languages in these books.

The Amazons are afraid of Ares. All of them except Diana escaped from the world of men, when Ares was battling the other gods. And they know that he survived. Hippolyta and Antiope are both afraid that Ares will find them. Presumably Ares can sense Diana's godhood which might be drawing him toward Themyscira. This is why Hippolyta doesn't want Diana to discover her powers, because Ares will find her (using his god-radar) and he will come after her and the Amazons.

The movie doesn't spoon feed answers. But it gives you enough to work with. Diana's motivation is very clear. She wants to find and kill Ares because she believes he's the source of all the troubles in the world of men. She and Steve talk about this throughout the whole movie.
    there are a lot of might´s and maybe´s in your comment. i´d appreciated to have been given some explanations while watching the movie. and don´t mean "in your face" explanations. imho diana´s certainty of ares involvment is totay pulled from thin air. like there haven´t other terrible wars over the years. ares is behind it all! settle down diana...
    Last edited by abulafia; 06-19-2017 at 06:45 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.