Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Retired

The place of Wonder Woman in this DC movie world is a big question mark. So she was involved in World War I--but I guess that's so removed from time and her part is so unreported that she's been almost forgotten. Yet what did she do all that time?

Had Diana inspired people and become a world legend, then when Superman arrived on the scene, he would have been the Wonder Man to her Wonder Woman. The fact that he wasn't suggests that Diana let the grass grow.

For MAN OF STEEL and BATMAN V SUPERMAN to make sense, then there can't be a history of Wonder Woman fighting for human rights. However, Diana is not the kind of person who would just sit still for a hundred years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The place of Wonder Woman in this DC movie world is a big question mark. So she was involved in World War I--but I guess that's so removed from time and her part is so unreported that she's been almost forgotten. Yet what did she do all that time?

Had Diana inspired people and become a world legend, then when Superman arrived on the scene, he would have been the Wonder Man to her Wonder Woman. The fact that he wasn't suggests that Diana let the grass grow.

For MAN OF STEEL and BATMAN V SUPERMAN to make sense, then there can't be a history of Wonder Woman fighting for human rights. However, Diana is not the kind of person who would just sit still for a hundred years.
    She would not stay out of any of these conflicts, that's why Snyder originally had her turning her back on mankind. I think Patty and Gal did the best they could to stay true to the character while respecting the groundwork that Snyder and Goyer laid. Unfortunately they seem to be at odds still. I say ignore BvS and just have Diana do exactly what we know she would do all those years.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, this film really feels like it should be the starting point for the DCEU. I'm hoping that Snyder learned something from Jenkins with this film.

yeah that really bugged me too. it would have worked fine if this was a stand alone movie that wasn't connected to the DCEU. at the end it shows her jumping into battle when evil rears its ugly head, kind of implying that she's been doing this since WWI. but BvS basically says that she's been in hiding for 100 years. which means she didn't use her amazing powers to help defeat the Nazis or stop the genocides and wars since then. which would make her a terrible person. and we know she isnt. i guess she could have been helping humanity from the shadows kind of like what Clark Kent was doing in MoS. the "guardian angel". but if she had been doing that for 100 years you'd think there would be more evidence of her existence than just a single picture.

i think it would have been better if they showed her returning to Themyscira at the end. since she defeated Ares she's somehow allowed to return home. they could have said that Diana recently returned to man's world because the Amazons sensed a Crisis on the horizon. Darkseid. maybe they can give her a quick recap in Justice League.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-02-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    yeah that really bugged me too. it would have worked fine if this was a stand alone movie that wasn't connected to the DCEU. at the end it shows her jumping into battle when evil rears its ugly head, kind of implying that she's been doing this since WWI. but BvS basically says that she's been in hiding for 100 years. which means she didn't use her amazing powers to help defeat the Nazis or stop the genocides and wars since then. which would make her a terrible person. and we know she isnt. i guess she could have been helping humanity from the shadows kind of like what Clark Kent was doing in MoS. the "guardian angel". but if she had been doing that for 100 years you'd think there would be more evidence of her existence than just a single picture.

i think it would have been better if they showed her returning to Themyscira at the end. since she defeated Ares she's somehow allowed to return home. they could have said that Diana recently returned to man's world because the Amazons sensed a Crisis on the horizon. Darkseid. maybe they can give her a quick recap in Justice League.
    The movie doesn't really give an indication of what she did after WW1 ... and it might be a good idea to keep it vague, since it opens up other stories to tell about her in that period of they choose to. But my guess would be that she did return to Themyscira. With Ares beaten and Steve dead, she probably had more incentive to go home than stick around. She probably just stayed there until Luthors digging caught her attention.

I say that this easily can be remedied. I think its clear, Diana would never turn her back on humanity. However "Wonder Woman" isn't in the forefront. This could work perfectly well with a creation of the Justice Society, if they decide to go that route. In the Golden Age, they weren't called Superheros, but Mystery Men. The JSA/Diana could have been covert, more in the shadows and background, saving the world, but not being so upfront in it. (This could also work with Diana being an Antiquities Dealer/Indiana Jones type, with a little of the Mod Diana Prince thrown in, with Diana and the "JSA" trying to stop Hitler and retrieve the Spear of Destiny.)

As she says, she's killed things from other worlds before. This is her introduction to Man's World, and fighting period, she's clearly been saving the world since.
    Richard Alexander

Retired

I think Hippolyta and/or Diana said that if she leaves Themyscira then she'll never be able to come back. Or maybe it was that she might not be able to come back. I'll have to see the movie again. Anyway, it was clear to Steve that she was making a big sacrifice by taking him back to man's world.

I think Hippolyta and/or Diana said that if she leaves Themyscira then she'll never be able to come back. Or maybe it was that she might not be able to come back. I'll have to see the movie again. Anyway, it was clear to Steve that she was making a big sacrifice by taking him back to man's world.
    Hippolyte does Tell Diana that she can never return, in which she says who would she be if she stays. That can be taken many ways. I'm sure by the time this Series is over with, and its rebooted, she will return home.
    Richard Alexander

BANNED

PLEASE tell me Pine's descendant will be in future sequels and the love interest? He is signed on for more, right?

And yeah, the continuity issues, namely relating to both why she did nothing during Zod's attack, as well as why Doomsday was such a knock down drag out, is why I think the movie should've been in the modern age.

Extraordinary Member

Hippolyte doesn't say she can never return she says she may not be bale to come back if she leaves.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Overall, I was quite pleased by the film. I have only one minor quibble: while David Thewlis was very convincing as a World War I-era British diplomat as "Sir Patrick Morgan," his performance didn't transfer well into the Ares persona. It's...well, it's that mustache, which is painfully 1910s British, but why did he continue to appear that way after dropping the pretense of being Morgan? Moreover, why did he appear that way even in flashback to ancient times, immediately after he was cast down by Zeus? I imagined that after shedding the Morgan disguise, unhelmeted Ares would look more like this:

Instead, Ares resembled Sir David Lloyd George.

Again, this is a minor quibble, but it did bother me slightly.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Overall, I was quite pleased by the film. I have only one minor quibble: while David Thewlis was very convincing as a World War I-era British diplomat as "Sir Patrick Morgan," his performance didn't transfer well into the Ares persona. It's...well, it's that mustache, which is painfully 1910s British, but why did he continue to appear that way after dropping the pretense of being Morgan? Moreover, why did he appear that way even in flashback to ancient times, immediately after he was cast down by Zeus? I imagined that after shedding the Morgan disguise, unhelmeted Ares would look more like this:

Dark dude looks like Manu Bennett had a kid with George Michael.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordTrump View Post
    Dark dude looks like Manu Bennett had a kid with George Michael.
    ...which would still make him more Ares-like (in my eyes) than Sir David Lloyd George.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

...which would still make him more Ares-like (in my eyes) than Sir David Lloyd George.

Well, it isn't out of the ordinary for Ares to be an old man with notable facial hair. Not a gent stache though.

Also, I'm gonna have fun editing both Apocalypse's monologue onto Ares, as well as the Xavier line "unleash your power!!!" Onto Diana.

BANNED

Oh come now, I thought Ares looked quite distinguished.

:3