Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    They have to force her into hiding for continuity purposes but it is contrary to the nature of Diana. I understand people wanting to protect what's been established with Man of Steel and BvS but I honestly see no reason to be beholden to inferior movies and inferior concepts moving forward.
    It's hard to have faith in WB execs given all their stupid creative decisions in the past, but I'm hoping (if WW has a big enough box office showing) that they'll look at the numbers and realize this is their movie to build on. So gloss over whatever happened in the other movies--do some hand waving--but let Wonder Woman be Wonder Woman.

Incredible Member

The problem with that is you run the risk of pissing off people who actually like Zack's framework for the DCCU

It can not only divide the fanbase again(right when a DCCU movie is finally getting universal praise) but also sour people's opinions on the WW movie.
    Last edited by Baseman; 06-03-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    The problem with that is you run the risk of pissing off people who actually like Zack's framework for the DCCU

It can not only divide the fanbase again(right when a DCCU movie is finally getting universal praise) but also sour people's opinions on the WW movie.
    Exactly.

Like it or not, MOS and BvS are the foundations on which the DCEU is built. And while BvS is a flawed movie (but nowhere near the disaster that people keep claiming it was), MOS was a pretty good movie - just a little short of being great IMO. Its just a very different take on Superman than what a lot of us were used to. Sadly, we live in a pop-cultural environment where "different = bad".

But yes, I do hope the continuity issue as far as Diana is concerned is resolved.

Mighty Member

Great movie. Favorite part was Steve Trevor 's reaction to the effects of the magic lasso when he was being questioned by the Amazons.

BANNED

I'm surprised they didn't have her use her tiara as a weapon but maybe that would have been too much. I say go for it. Embrace the ridiculous elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't have her use her tiara as a weapon but maybe that would have been too much. I say go for it. Embrace the ridiculous elements.
    I think it's okay to save some stuff for later. Things like the invisible jet and the tiara just mean there's a few spot to look forward to down the line.

BANNED

I thought it was a fantastic movie and a real win for DC. Solid 9.5/10 pending repeat viewings. At this point I'd feel comfortable putting it up in the top 10 CBMs of all time.

That said, I don't really see them being able to fully reconcile WW with the established canon of the DCEU though, at least enough to satisfy the canon police out there. BvS made it sound as if events taking place around WWI specifically made her so disillusioned with man that she left them for the next 100 years; while the character established in WW wouldn't do that, especially when actual historical events are taken into account.

Otherwise I think it'd be pretty easy. Themiscyra is in jeopardy, using Hades or Cersei or whatever antagonist they desire, and her mother asks for her to return at a time of relative peace leaving her busy and without knowing about the struggles of the outside world until she's done and returns around the time of BvS.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Exactly.

Like it or not, MOS and BvS are the foundations on which the DCEU is built. And while BvS is a flawed movie (but nowhere near the disaster that people keep claiming it was), MOS was a pretty good movie - just a little short of being great IMO. Its just a very different take on Superman than what a lot of us were used to. Sadly, we live in a pop-cultural environment where "different = bad".

But yes, I do hope the continuity issue as far as Diana is concerned is resolved.

MoS wasn't a good movie. It was well short of even being good. The problem with your statement is it pretty much ignores what by now is probably millions of pages and thousands of hours of valid criticisms that you summarily dismiss because of some asinine commentary on "pop culture environment". The truth is, we also live in a pop culture environment where different also seems to automatically = good to some people, or dark/serious/grounded = good, escapist/family friendly = bad, regardless of quality of writing or direction or anything else.

MoS was a mess narratively, and it's really not only telling, but a shame so many people ignore that FACT because they want Superman to be an emo brooding navel-gazer engaging alternately in criminal acts (just FYI stealing the ship from the government would absolutely be a criminal act, compounded by his use of it leading the Kryptonians to earth which resulted in ALL the destruction, this in addition to the government property he destroyed in his cheekily taking down the drone at the end--- because, you know, not like he'd helped cause enough destruction already right?) and big action set pieces instead of, ironically, what helped make characters like Wonder Woman and Captain America so successful, examples of heroic idealism thoughtfully presented.

Retired

I wouldn't want any future movies to waste their time explaining how the Wonder Woman reality and the Superman reality fit together. I just think WW can go her own way and shouldn't have to change her reality to fit whatever was in the Superman movies. Let fandom work it out. I don't recall MAN OF STEEL acknowledging much of the Batman world and yet at the beginning of BATMAN V SUPERMAN we're asked to believe that something like ten years of Dark Knight history was happening in Clark's world. That's not explained--we just have to make sense of it.

But I'm sure--short of being off world somewhere--Diana would not have spent 100 years being idle, no matter how bummed out she was about her losses. She's a hero. She does heroic stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GhostPirate View Post
    I thought it was a fantastic movie and a real win for DC. Solid 9.5/10 pending repeat viewings. At this point I'd feel comfortable putting it up in the top 10 CBMs of all time.

That said, I don't really see them being able to fully reconcile WW with the established canon of the DCEU though, at least enough to satisfy the canon police out there. BvS made it sound as if events taking place around WWI specifically made her so disillusioned with man that she left them for the next 100 years; while the character established in WW wouldn't do that, especially when actual historical events are taken into account.

Otherwise I think it'd be pretty easy. Themiscyra is in jeopardy, using Hades or Cersei or whatever antagonist they desire, and her mother asks for her to return at a time of relative peace leaving her busy and without knowing about the struggles of the outside world until she's done and returns around the time of BvS.

MoS wasn't a good movie. It was well short of even being good. The problem with your statement is it pretty much ignores what by now is probably millions of pages and thousands of hours of valid criticisms that you summarily dismiss because of some asinine commentary on "pop culture environment". The truth is, we also live in a pop culture environment where different also seems to automatically = good to some people, or dark/serious/grounded = good, escapist/family friendly = bad, regardless of quality of writing or direction or anything else.

MoS was a mess narratively, and it's really not only telling, but a shame so many people ignore that FACT because they want Superman to be an emo brooding navel-gazer engaging alternately in criminal acts (just FYI stealing the ship from the government would absolutely be a criminal act, compounded by his use of it leading the Kryptonians to earth which resulted in ALL the destruction, this in addition to the government property he destroyed in his cheekily taking down the drone at the end--- because, you know, not like he'd helped cause enough destruction already right?) and big action set pieces instead of, ironically, what helped make characters like Wonder Woman and Captain America so successful, examples of heroic idealism thoughtfully presented.
    Wow, him accidentally activating the ship was criminal. I've heard it all!
    And emo, Jesus Christ, go back to middle school. In 2006.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think it's okay to save some stuff for later. Things like the invisible jet and the tiara just mean there's a few spot to look forward to down the line.
    Please no invisible jet. I mean she can already fly. But they should also include Superman's wheelchair, and The Flash's tank.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Just got back. I liked it. B+ from me. It didn't reinvent the superhero formula, but it's nice to know that Warner bros. can make one of these competently when they've got the right people behind it. Diana was a very cool character who was very true to herself without being a Sue. She was also guileless without being a schmuck, which I appreciated. ('Country' don't mean 'stupid' after all.) The big fight with Ares was pretty paint by numbers, but all the other stuff was great. The village liberation fight was so badass.

Minor nitpicks: I wish the Amazons had been presented as being more formidable against those Soldiers. Where was their weird tech, and their magical arsenal? It would have been way more fun for the soldiers to have been surprised by how advanced the Amazons were despite their appearance, and for the Amazons to be disappointed by how primitive man's world was. I mean Female-Spartans versus Soldiers was still okay, I guess, but it could have been cooler.

I wish the movie could have been a bit more nuanced about WWI (Making the Germans the default villains of that one seems like a disservice to history), and aside from the Doctor Poison, the villains were kinda 'meh.' (Ares was way more interesting before he put on the armor and started acting like a Decepticon.)

Other than that, good stuff. Hopefully the execs take notice that you can do DC without the grim. Maybe we'll get a smiling Superman back.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Just saw it,

the best movie DCEU has made but that's quite a low bar lol.

Wondering what Diana's excuse is for world war 2, she was busy?

The movie itself is really nice and the first 2 acts are really really great but it really fall over itself in the last act. It does the most to be fantastical in the first act and then to be grounded and gritty and then the last act is randomly fantastical again. It's really lopsided imo.

I'd happily watch a Themysira movie.
    Well, she did realize that there's no magic bullet like Killing an evil God that'll stop warfare. The movie demonstrated that she's hella tough, but she's not a kryptonian: It's not like she could just erase the Nazi Leadership by herself. She probably fought on the front though.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Well, she did realize that there's no magic bullet like Killing an evil God that'll stop warfare. The movie demonstrated that she's hella tough, but she's not a kryptonian: It's not like she could just erase the Nazi Leadership by herself. She probably fought on the front though.
    Actually, he defeat of Ares and the pose she displays makes it seem like Doomsday should've been way easier for her.

Aaaaand more reason why this movie should've never been in the past, why tying WW to WW1/WW2 will always be stupid, and why BvS should've been her first time in man's world.

Just got back. I liked it. B+ from me. It didn't reinvent the superhero formula, but it's nice to know that Warner bros. can make one of these competently when they've got the right people behind it. Diana was a very cool character who was very true to herself without being a Sue. She was also guileless without being a schmuck, which I appreciated. ('Country' don't mean 'stupid' after all.) The big fight with Ares was pretty paint by numbers, but all the other stuff was great. The village liberation fight was so badass.

Minor nitpicks: I wish the Amazons had been presented as being more formidable against those Soldiers. Where was their weird tech, and their magical arsenal? It would have been way more fun for the soldiers to have been surprised by how advanced the Amazons were despite their appearance, and for the Amazons to be disappointed by how primitive man's world was. I mean Female-Spartans versus Soldiers was still okay, I guess, but it could have been cooler.

I wish the movie could have been a bit more nuanced about WWI (Making the Germans the default villains of that one seems like a disservice to history), and aside from the Doctor Poison, the villains were kinda 'meh.' (Ares was way more interesting before he put on the armor and started acting like a Decepticon.)

Other than that, good stuff. Hopefully the execs take notice that you can do DC without the grim. Maybe we'll get a smiling Superman back.
    I had a problem with this as well. It was a very dumbed down version of WWI, where Germany = bad guys. When in fact there weren't really "bad guys" or "good guys". It was a situation in which millions of people died in horrible ways for very stupid reasons. I was hoping they would point out the insanity of that war instead of just simplifying it as Germans = bad and England = good.

BANNED

Hell, folks have got to remember that she had little effect on the course of WWI...they stopped the poison gas, but the effect of that was to make the armistice possible.

I'm not even sure she fought in WWII as a warrior...I think she would have fought things beyond the reach of mortal men, but what she learned in this movie is that the blunt, overt things she did like saving the village can easily be erased by mortal machinations. The work she has to do is more subtle, with men's hearts.

I actually see her working more in the French resistance than on the front lines.