Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Fearless Heart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think by the very nature of this moment, whatever Selina's answer or the outcome, it will be talked about for a while.
    Hey, you'd know more than me! I don't know what would be a big moment for fans since I only started getting into Batman recently—jumping through random trades from the 30s to modern times. That does not work for Grant Morrison Batman!

I actually didn't even think this was a big deal, but I don't know Batman's continuity like I do Spider-man's. Well, the stuff from 1962-2007. I dropped off because it wasn't my cup of tea after that point.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I think the overwhelming success of SuperDad and Jon Kent played into this. People seem to be in the mood for good relationships and family. Don't be surprised if a little Helena is on the way at some point and through the magic of time travel or Damian's gestation tube she is aged up. A main canon Helena Wayne, not from an alternate Earth and as a kid, is hugely marketable
    I doubt Talia will lend them Damian's gestation tube common now.

Whelp. Gotham-Girl is definitively one of my favourite comics characters now. Anyone has an idea about who she'll train with in Europe ? I'm not that knowledgeable about the Europeans heroes of D.C., nor the civilian master of heroes that may exist.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I think the overwhelming success of SuperDad and Jon Kent played into this. People seem to be in the mood for good relationships and family. Don't be surprised if a little Helena is on the way at some point and through the magic of time travel or Damian's gestation tube she is aged up. A main canon Helena Wayne, not from an alternate Earth and as a kid, is hugely marketable
    We don't know what this is (where all this is going), people are assuming too soon. What might be working with other titles with different types of fans might not work in Batman comics. If anything, I've seen more and more calling for more solo Batman. Still a lot of bristling about the size of the Batfam and who gets the attention.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Whelp. Gotham-Girl is definitively one of my favourite comics characters now. Anyone has an idea about who she'll train with in Europe ? I'm not that knowledgeable about the Europeans heroes of D.C., nor the civilian master of heroes that may exist.
    Maybe it ties into the first ally character in the current all star batman arc?

I think the First Ally is Alfred (and his first "protégé", the "Sun-heart's Killer" or however he'll be called will be an enemy of Batman). In Europe, I can't see Nightrunner training Claire (he's too young) and he is the only one "Bat" heroes of Europe that I remember off. I guess it could be a less well known figure or another hero, but the way batman says "I have a man in Europe" makes me think that he references Batman Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I guess it could be a less well known figure or another hero, but the way batman says "I have a man in Europe" makes me think that he references Batman Inc.
    Could be a Ducard reference. I assumed it was that, a classical reference.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    We don't know what this is (where all this is going), people are assuming too soon. What might be working with other titles with different types of fans might not work in Batman comics. If anything, I've seen more and more calling for more solo Batman. Still a lot of bristling about the size of the Batfam and who gets the attention.
    personally I prefer a solo and single Batman but after Seeley's fake out I kind of want King to follow through if not it's going to feel like a copy of what we just had in Nightwing and makes the whole thing seem like a cheap publicity stunt.

Fantastic Member

My review: Bout frickin' time. Put on a ring on that Bruce!! I doubt he gives up Batman though; maybe scales back (mainly JL stuff, divvies up gotham amongst the kids/selina)

I think it's time to give marriage a shot for the Bat. Especially in light of Rebirth...Clark got his happy history back with Lois, Barry & Iris are reconnecting, Ollie/Dinah, Arthur/Mera...what did Bruce get? Nothing. 10 years lost, 10 years gained, it's all the same. He deserves a shot at being happy, even if it doesn't work out.

But, consider the story potential. They can be happy for a while, they can work together. They can be pissed off at each other and spending time apart. What happens the next time a big event happens, and they find their beliefs are on opposite sides? Does she join a Batman-created team to act as their "professional thief"? What happens if Catwoman gets accused of something & arrested, and she's the wife of Bruce Wayne?

You can do most of these things with them simply dating & not married, of course, but after 80 years why not? Give it a shot. And if it doesn't work out, Batman being divorced works much better than, say, Superman divorced from Lois.

What I absolutely don't want is a repeat of Hush...that book looked like it was going somewhere, with Bruce revealing his identity, just to toss out anything interesting on the last page. If Bruce is going to remain single forever, fine. If he's going to get married, also fine. But don't go halfway & then drop the subject altogether.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue and thought it was very well done. IMHO these are the kind of stories that King excels at writing

Always Rakzo

Mixed thoughts as usual (or at least that's what I feel with the actual best issues from this run).

For one, I appreciate the build-up that exists during this issue. Is a story that developes the connection between Bruce and Claire nicely and escalates solidly to the final moment which could be an interesting character progress for Bruce and Selina.

ON THE OTHER HAND, it also goes against the theme that King has spent so much time developing since the beginning of his run, about how "Batman does this because he wants to help people" and now it seems like he does it because he's scared and he can't stop which goes even beyond the classic "Forcing characterization to push a theme before" King tick since now he's even contradicting his own work to follow a new idea. Oh, and the unnatural dialogue is still not the best.

The art was pretty good at the very least. Typical stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    What I absolutely don't want is a repeat of Hush...that book looked like it was going somewhere, with Bruce revealing his identity, just to toss out anything interesting on the last page. If Bruce is going to remain single forever, fine. If he's going to get married, also fine. But don't go halfway & then drop the subject altogether.
    I have no fear King will or DC will just drop anything about this story. Whether they get married or not, I fully expect King to tell a substantial story about an engaged Bruce (she'll probably say yes, because why a months long wait for a no?). I can be totally sold on a "no" though perhaps if War of Jokes and Riddles provides a dark truth about Bruce. Anyway, everything points to this story getting a fleshed out development, that ends with Bruce married or realizing that he can't go through with this. Or Cat comes to realize this can't happen, perhaps even if she wants it to happen (interesting twist I just thought of).

I hope Bruce doesn't get married, which would almost certainly lead to divorce. Bat & Cat are better characters as they are. But I think King can and will properly mine this story, one way or the other.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 06-07-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Mixed thoughts as usual (or at least that's what I feel with the actual best issues from this run).

For one, I appreciate the build-up that exists during this issue. Is a story that developes the connection between Bruce and Claire nicely and escalates solidly to the final moment which could be an interesting character progress for Bruce and Selina.

ON THE OTHER HAND, it also goes against the theme that King has spent so much time developing since the beginning of his run, about how "Batman does this because he wants to help people" and now it seems like he does it because he's scared and he can't stop which goes even beyond the classic "Forcing characterization to push a theme before" King tick since now he's even contradicting his own work to follow a new idea. Oh, and the unnatural dialogue is still not the best.

The art was pretty good at the very least. Typical stuff here.
    Or maybe seeing his father made Bruce reconsider why he does what he does. I thought it was pretty clear his thinking has evolved

BatCat AGAIN? BOoooooring. Round and round we go, how we recycle, no one knows. It's all been explored and talked about, over and over. Catwoman is like the old pair of slippers that you never threw away. Tattered, ragged and funky but HEY, it's what we know. So we'll just cling to the end of time! And no matter how you slice it, she's still as much a function of her relationship with Bruce than anything else they do with her. The opposite isn't true.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.