Page 127 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2177

Manchester United have appointed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as permanent manager on a three-year contract.

Even though he's done really well since taking over, I still feel like this is a risk.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

It could well be a risk, Fluffy. Having said that they've done very, very well under him (unfortunately) so it's no big surprise.

In other news, due to Dover Athletics 3-1 win, Braintree Town are all but relegated from the National League. For those who don't know, Braintree Town are 18 points away from safety with just 6 games to play, so they have to win all 6 games, hope Dover lose all 6 of their remaining games AND hope the other three teams that separate Braintree and Dover don't end up with more than 46 points in order to survive.

So, in short, I expect Braintree will be relegated this weekend, unfortunately from their perspective.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    It could well be a risk, Fluffy. Having said that they've done very, very well under him (unfortunately) so it's no big surprise.

In other news, due to Dover Athletics 3-1 win, Braintree Town are all but relegated from the National League. For those who don't know, Braintree Town are 18 points away from safety with just 6 games to play, so they have to win all 6 games, hope Dover lose all 6 of their remaining games AND hope the other three teams that separate Braintree and Dover don't end up with more than 46 points in order to survive.

So, in short, I expect Braintree will be relegated this weekend, unfortunately from their perspective.
    Man Braintree is a name I recall. Weren't they one of the 'better' lower league teams?

Also Leyton Orient are on the up!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Manchester United have appointed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as permanent manager on a three-year contract.

Even though he's done really well since taking over, I still feel like this is a risk.
    I guess Man U decided Solskjaer was the best choice, like John Ossie said, the Red Devils have played very well under him. Since I'm here in the colonies and don't follow the EPL exclusively (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL kinda get in the way), are managers leery about taking the Man U job because they don't want to follow in the footsteps of Sir Alex Ferguson?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Man Braintree is a name I recall. Weren't they one of the 'better' lower league teams?

Also Leyton Orient are on the up!
    I don't want to jinx them, since I seem to have maybe jinxed Leeds, but Leyton ARE doing really well at the moment. Plus they have games in hand also.

As for Braintree, IIRC they were one of the play-off teams in Tranmere's first season in the National League 3 years back and then got relegated the following season before getting promoted last year and now they're bottom of the National League. Whether I'm remembering correctly or not it's been a bad season to be a Braintree fan that's for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I guess Man U decided Solskjaer was the best choice, like John Ossie said, the Red Devils have played very well under him. Since I'm here in the colonies and don't follow the EPL exclusively (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL kinda get in the way), are managers leery about taking the Man U job because they don't want to follow in the footsteps of Sir Alex Ferguson?
    Just remembered, he won trophies in Norway with Molde IIRC, so whilst the Norwegian League is different from the Premier League it's not as if he's never had success as manager. Even if his Cardiff days were a complete disaster. As far as following in Fergie's footsteps, there's bound to be pressure there especially since he tends to attend matches on a regular basis still and they have to speak with him from time-to-time. Even if he never showed up and had moved to an Island somewhere for his retirement there'd be pressure due to how successful Fergie was as a Manager.

He probably is the best choice at the moment because he's getting results and he is "one of their own". However. there's the fact that he talks with Fergie quite often, so is it really all Ole's doing how well they're performing? The summer transfer window will be interesting to see if he can pull in big names to sign for them or not.

But yeah, the Utd job is a bit of a poisoned chalice. David Moyes has never recovered from taking the job.

I don't want to jinx them, since I seem to have maybe jinxed Leeds, but Leyton ARE doing really well at the moment. Plus they have games in hand also.

As for Braintree, IIRC they were one of the play-off teams in Tranmere's first season in the National League 3 years back and then got relegated the following season before getting promoted last year and now they're bottom of the National League. Whether I'm remembering correctly or not it's been a bad season to be a Braintree fan that's for certain.
    You can jinx Leeds all you want John. Keep it up lol.

It's tough for teams in the National League. it only takes one or 2 bad seasons and teams can drop like a stone or hit financial problems. Teams can get stuck down there for quite a while. I've always had a soft spot for Barnet and they go up and down from League 2 to the National League a fair bit. Same with Wrexham. Then you look at Torquay, Chesterfield, Chester etc. Tough leagues to be in.

You can jinx Leeds all you want John. Keep it up lol.

It's tough for teams in the National League. it only takes one or 2 bad seasons and teams can drop like a stone or hit financial problems. Teams can get stuck down there for quite a while. I've always had a soft spot for Barnet and they go up and down from League 2 to the National League a fair bit. Same with Wrexham. Then you look at Torquay, Chesterfield, Chester etc. Tough leagues to be in.
    LOL Fair enough. Seriously though the nostalgic kid in me who remembers seeing Liverpool play Leeds every year until 2004 is kinda hoping they do it this year.

As for the Non-League teams, I'm old enough to remember the days when the likes of Stockport County, Chester City (now known as just Chester), Wrexham, Torquay, Kidderminister Harriers, Macclesfield Town (the first time they got promoted), Boston United amongst others were in the league LOL. Man, I feel old now LOL.

LOL Fair enough. Seriously though the nostalgic kid in me who remembers seeing Liverpool play Leeds every year until 2004 is kinda hoping they do it this year.

As for the Non-League teams, I'm old enough to remember the days when the likes of Stockport County, Chester City (now known as just Chester), Wrexham, Torquay, Kidderminister Harriers, Macclesfield Town (the first time they got promoted), Boston United amongst others were in the league LOL. Man, I feel old now LOL.
    Yeah I remember York City being in the league as well. Didn't they beat Man United in a cup at some point? I'd have to Google that lol.

Edit: Courtesy of Wikipedia...

York recorded a 4–3 aggregate victory in the 1995–96 League Cup second round over the eventual Premier League and FA Cup double winners Manchester United.

Now THAT makes me feel old!!

Yeah I remember York City being in the league as well. Didn't they beat Man United in a cup at some point? I'd have to Google that lol.

Edit: Courtesy of Wikipedia...

York recorded a 4–3 aggregate victory in the 1995–96 League Cup second round over the eventual Premier League and FA Cup double winners Manchester United.

Now THAT makes me feel old!!
    Oh YEAH! I remember that actually! The second leg was on the tv when I went into the pub for the first time due to my late granddad's birthday, as it turned out it was the last time I saw him outside of the Hospital as well. That was a good night.

But yeah, York was another team I remember who used to be in the football league. In the National League South now IIRC.

In today's results, Huddersfield were officially relegated today after losing 2-0 at Crystal Palace and Burnley beating Wolves 2-0 today so commiserations to their fans. Same goes to Braintree fans since they were officially relegated today inspite of winning 2-0 today because Dover drew at Solihull Moors.

Other than that it was a good day for the bottom two teams in League Two with Notts County getting a 3-0 away win against Stevenage and Macclesfield getting a highly respectable 1-1 draw away to the league leaders Lincoln City.

Not so good for my bet though LOL.

Extraordinary Member

Fulham will next I feel.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Neil Warnock and Cardiff got jobbed BIG time by the refs on that match tying goal as one of Chelsea’s players were offsides on that play. Wow! Don’t blame Warnock for having gone nuclear.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

I'm expecting a defeat. If Anfield is rocking, can't see us getting the win. I also think we are going to be pegged back a lot, but, even if we take it to them, we'll be so exposed.

Extraordinary Member

Neil Warnock and Cardiff got jobbed BIG time by the refs on that match tying goal as one of Chelsea’s players were offsides on that play. Wow! Don’t blame Warnock for having gone nuclear.
    Jesus! I've just seen it. He is acres offside! How the hell do they miss that