Page 77 of 146 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2177
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Nah. For the simple reason that there aren't any suitable candidates out there to potentially replace him right now.

Managing a club like United isn't some run-of-the-mill job. It's one of the top vacancies in world football. United are one of the biggest clubs on the planet, certainly in the top three. No arguably there, no speculation, that's a fact. The job is so demanding that a person needs serious cojones and a huge track record to even be considered for it nowadays. There's no-one of that calibre currently sitting around, twiddling their proverbial thumbs and waiting for a job offer.

On a personal level I dislike Mourinho, and always have. From the perspective that the Manchester United manager is always 'on the hot seat', due to the pressures of such a huge job, then yes, Mourinho is gonna go through difficult phases. Not in any way that his job is currently under threat though. Now Antonio Conte on the other hand....
    Pardon my ignorance, which is considerable when it comes to soccer, but how did Sir Alex last as long as he had as United boss?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, which is considerable when it comes to soccer, but how did Sir Alex last as long as he had as United boss?
    When Ferguson came down from Scotland in 1986 to take charge at United the game was a completely different beast. Ferguson was adept at gradually building himself up into a position of power within the club and also keeping himself ahead of developments as the game prospered during the 90's and beyond.

The biggest change in football since 1986, and there have been many smaller changes, is the sheer size of it's global audience. Modern technology has ensured that many top club matches from around the world can be potentially seen by millions and millions of people. The biggest club game on the planet, 'El Classico' between Real Madrid and Barcelona, regularly gets a TV audience in the hundreds of millions. Soccer has always been the world's biggest sport but now it's reach and influence is absolutely colossal. The huge audience that football can pull in as a spectator sport has revolutionised it, in terms of financial clout, star power, players wages, etc. The game has seen changes across the board. Already big clubs like United and Real Madrid have almost become 'super-clubs', such is the worldwide level of interest in them.

When the old NASL launched in the US in the late 60's, that league was attempting to find an audience and a niche for itself in a country that had never watched the sport recreationally before and therefore was pretty clueless about it. Not so the MLS which benefits from a much better understanding of soccer itself and of match day culture. Why? The US sports networks all regularly show Premier League, Liga MX (Mexico) and La Liga games. The US sports fans are nowadays much better acquainted with the sport and have learnt it's subtleties. The big European clubs cash in on that big style on summer tours over there. That level of awareness and interest has skyrocketed across the rest of the world too.

Another example of football's reach is the fact that I can, and regularly do, watch highlights from club games in Argentina of all places. Insane league. Awesome football culture.

The game has a higher platform than it's ever enjoyed before. Back in 1986 this was much different though. The game operated on a much more parochial level back then, enabling Ferguson to thrive under different circumstances.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 04-16-2018 at 11:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I watched that match. Astonishing. To use an American sports analogy, it was like the hapless, winless Cleveland Browns beating the mighty New England Patriots in Foxboro. Even worse, United’s loss salted away the Premier League title for Man City.
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Funny weekend for a Swansea fan really. We got a point after being behind (which rarely/never happened under Clement), and from what I gather, we were the better team. With Palace and Huddersfield winning, we could've really done with 3 points but if someone had said to me at Christmas that with 5 games to go, we'd be 5 points clear of relegation, I would never have believed them. Just need West Ham to beat Stoke tonight, and hopefully the FA cup semi final will prove to be a distraction for Southampton.

I'm so happy Wolves have gone up! I won't be getting a season ticket this time round though lol.
    Will you be going to Molyneux to watch them play Swansea? (Assuming of course that Swansea stay out of trouble).

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Will you be going to Molyneux to watch them play Swansea? (Assuming of course that Swansea stay out of trouble).
    Yeah I will go. I'll go to Molineux if Swansea go down anyway. Wolves are my "second" half decent team and it's pretty close to where I live. It's a shame that if Swansea do stay up, the closer teams from the Midlands (to me) won't increase in number with Stoke and West Brom probably going down, Wolves coming up, with possibly Villa or maybe Derby (long shot) coming up with them.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Extraordinary Member

I'll tell you what, West Ham look so much better under Moyes.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I will go. I'll go to Molineux if Swansea go down anyway. Wolves are my "second" half decent team and it's pretty close to where I live. It's a shame that if Swansea do stay up, the closer teams from the Midlands (to me) won't increase in number with Stoke and West Brom probably going down, Wolves coming up, with possibly Villa or maybe Derby (long shot) coming up with them.
    Not sure if it is your side, but Coventry might be going up in the play-offs. My 'local' teams at my university in the Midlands would be Coventry City and Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Not sure if it is your side, but Coventry might be going up in the play-offs. My 'local' teams at my university in the Midlands would be Coventry City and Birmingham.
    I've never been to the Ricoh. I've been to Birmingham a few times though. Doesn't take me too long to get there. I'm off to see my local team this Saturday though. Stafford Rangers v Shaw Lane.

Extraordinary Member

I've never been to the Ricoh. I've been to Birmingham a few times though. Doesn't take me too long to get there. I'm off to see my local team this Saturday though. Stafford Rangers v Shaw Lane.
    Ricoh is pretty decent to be honest. I enjoyed it there, fans were wild. I'm planning on maybe doing the 92 one day. So far I've been to Old Trafford, Wembley, Ricoh Arena, Brisbane Road (Orients) and London Stadium but not for football.

I'll tell you what, West Ham look so much better under Moyes.
    You jinxed it dude. Stoke are winning. Goddamnit!

Extraordinary Member

You jinxed it dude. Stoke are winning. Goddamnit!
    Ah 1-1 now! Carroll banging it in and Crouch. Get em on the plane lads

Ah 1-1 now! Carroll banging it in and Crouch. Get em on the plane lads
    Get in! I'll happily take a draw now.

Extraordinary Member

Get in! I'll happily take a draw now.
    Decent result. I can't believe though that Southampton are in the relegation zone.

Decent result. I can't believe though that Southampton are in the relegation zone.
    It could all come down to Swansea's last 2 games of the season.

Swansea v Southampton
    Swansea v Stoke

Extraordinary Member

It could all come down to Swansea's last 2 games of the season.

Swansea v Southampton
    Swansea v Stoke
    Woah the end of the season is going to be really exciting.

Woah the end of the season is going to be really exciting.
    I'd like to think it'll all be done and dusted before those 2 games and Swansea will be safe but I'm happy that both of those games are at the Liberty.