All-New Member

Default New to spider-man comics, need help :)

Yo!

I recently signed up for marvel unlimited to start reading about my favorite superhero spiderman. I really love the app. The question i have for you guys is; can you tell me or redirect me to a reading order? I've done some google research but i'm still confused. I have started reading "the amazing spiderman (1963)" since that is the first series. But when should i start reading things like civil war etc? And after im done with this spiderman series, wich one should i read next? I read the annuals in the order they are published with amazing series atleast And i know this might be far in the future since i recently started with amazing. But i am still curious.
    Regards
    Mosmorgan

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mosmorgan View Post
    Yo!

I recently signed up for marvel unlimited to start reading about my favorite superhero spiderman. I really love the app. The question i have for you guys is; can you tell me or redirect me to a reading order? I've done some google research but i'm still confused. I have started reading "the amazing spiderman (1963)" since that is the first series. But when should i start reading things like civil war etc? And after im done with this spiderman series, wich one should i read next? I read the annuals in the order they are published with amazing series atleast And i know this might be far in the future since i recently started with amazing. But i am still curious.
    Regards
    Mosmorgan
    Well, I will provide you with a chronology of all things Spider Man but I would recommend you keep reading the main series from number one until you reach the first satellite titles like Spectacular Spider Man and Web of Spider Man. Civil War will not become apparent until the 500's. I would recommend you steer clear of the Howard Mackie era as its a really bad Spider Man run. Wikipedia can help you in regards to the runs of different writers and artists.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z2Vj1lrIjhzCmLYPD8dlUPwRH7xKjbQ0Oq3Dgdy43qM/edit

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownEntity View Post
    Well, I will provide you with a chronology of all things Spider Man but I would recommend you keep reading the main series from number one until you reach the first satellite titles like Spectacular Spider Man and Web of Spider Man. Civil War will not become apparent until the 500's. I would recommend you steer clear of the Howard Mackie era as its a really bad Spider Man run. Wikipedia can help you in regards to the runs of different writers and artists.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z2Vj1lrIjhzCmLYPD8dlUPwRH7xKjbQ0Oq3Dgdy43qM/edit
    Tanks man! I Will check it out!
    When you say "until i reach the first satellite titles", what does that mean? And just to be really clear, i should not stop reading amazing when i reach that and switch series, just start reading several series at once? Like after their publishing date?

Incredible Member

Tanks man! I Will check it out!
    When you say "until i reach the first satellite titles", what does that mean? And just to be really clear, i should not stop reading amazing when i reach that and switch series, just start reading several series at once? Like after their publishing date?
    Satellite series are like sister titles that run concurrently with the main ASM book. When ASM was hitting its 100's, the sister book Spectacular Spider Man launched as did Web of Spider Man and ran alongside ASM. Basically readers could get up to three spider man titles in one month.

Read ASM and the sister titles concurrently (several series at once). The chronology tells you in which order. I would suggest in order of publication history.

All-New Member

Satellite series are like sister titles that run concurrently with the main ASM book. When ASM was hitting its 100's, the sister book Spectacular Spider Man launched as did Web of Spider Man and ran alongside ASM. Basically readers could get up to three spider man titles in one month.

Read ASM and the sister titles concurrently (several series at once). The chronology tells you in which order. I would suggest in order of publication history.
    Ah, i see! Thank you so much for the help!

Incredible Member

Ah, i see! Thank you so much for the help!
    Did you manage to access the chronology I provided?

All-New Member

Did you manage to access the chronology I provided?
    Yes i did, thanks.
    Any more tips on things to read? That is important for spidermans story, like secret wars? Marvel team up?

BANNED

Yes i did, thanks.
    Any more tips on things to read? That is important for spidermans story, like secret wars? Marvel team up?
    The original Secret Wars is a must-read as it introduces the alien symbiote that leads to the genesis of Venom

Other major reading tips from the original continuity:

-The Spidey Strikes Back Trilogy
    -The Master-Planner storyline from Lee/Ditko's run, containing probably the most iconic scene in Spider-Man history. Also introduces Peter to college and Gwen Stacy
    -Mary Jane's first apperance
    -Spider-Man No More
    -The first two issues of Lee/Romita where Peter uncovers the identity of the original Green Goblin
    -The three-parter involving Harry Osborn's drug use
    -Spider-Man: Blue
    -The Death of George Stacy
    -The Night Gwen Stacy Died
    -The Original Clone Saga
    -The Carrion Saga [Spectacular Spider-Man title]
    -The Doc Ock Vs Owl Saga
    -The Hobgoblin Saga
    -The Alien Costume Saga
    -The Wedding [Marriage of Peter and Mary Jane]
    -Venom
    -Kraven's Last Hunt
    -Obituary for an Octopus [Spider-Man Unlimited title]
    -Invasion of the Spider-Slayers [perosnal favourite of mine]
    -Carnage Trilogy
    -The Harry Osborn saga [Spectacular Spider-Man title]
    -Eye of the Puma [Spectacular Spider-Man title]
    -The Second Clone Saga Epic
    -Hobgoblin Lives
    -Dead Man's Hand
    -Coming Home
    -The Conversation
    -Until The Stars Turn Cold
    -Marvel Knights: Spider-Man by Mark Miller
    -The Book of Ezekiel
    -To Have and to Hold by Matt Fraction [Eisner-nominated story]
    -OMD [I would not recommend this normally, but it is essential to understand why we are where we are now]

Current Continuity:

-New Ways to Die
    -Emergency Stop
    -Family Business
    -Spider-Island
    -Superior Spider-Man [personally do not recommend this garbage, but it's essential to know what's going on currently]
    -Learning to Crawl
    -Spider-Man/Deadpool [callbacks to OMD]

Alternate Universe Reads

-Amazing Spider-Man Newspaper Strip [accessible online via comic kingdom]
    -Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows [Peter, MJ and their kid fight crime together]
    -Spider-Girl [adventures of Peter and MJ's teenage daughter]
    -Ultimate Spider-Man [adventures of a younger Peter Parker, and eventually the introduction of Miles Morales]
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 06-03-2017 at 02:09 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The original Secret Wars is a must-read as it introduces the alien symbiote that leads to the genesis of Venom

Other major reading tips from the original continuity:

-The Spidey Strikes Back Trilogy
    -The Master-Planner storyline from Lee/Ditko's run, containing probably the most iconic scene in Spider-Man history. Also introduces Peter to college and Gwen Stacy
    -Mary Jane's first apperance
    -Spider-Man No More
    -The first two issues of Lee/Romita where Peter uncovers the identity of the original Green Goblin
    -The three-parter involving Harry Osborn's drug use
    -Spider-Man: Blue
    -The Death of George Stacy
    -The Night Gwen Stacy Died
    -The Original Clone Saga
    -The Carrion Saga [Spectacular Spider-Man title]
    -The Doc Ock Vs Owl Saga
    -The Hobgoblin Saga
    -The Alien Costume Saga
    -The Wedding [Marriage of Peter and Mary Jane]
    -Venom
    -Kraven's Last Hunt
    -Obituary for an Octopus [Spider-Man Unlimited title]
    -Invasion of the Spider-Slayers [perosnal favourite of mine]
    -Carnage Trilogy
    -The Harry Osborn saga [Spectacular Spider-Man title]
    -Eye of the Puma [Spectacular Spider-Man title]
    -The Second Clone Saga Epic
    -Hobgoblin Lives
    -Dead Man's Hand
    -Coming Home
    -The Conversation
    -Until The Stars Turn Cold
    -Marvel Knights: Spider-Man by Mark Miller
    -The Book of Ezekiel
    -To Have and to Hold by Matt Fraction [Eisner-nominated story]
    -OMD [I would not recommend this normally, but it is essential to understand why we are where we are now]

Current Continuity:

-New Ways to Die
    -Emergency Stop
    -Family Business
    -Spider-Island
    -Superior Spider-Man [personally do not recommend this garbage, but it's essential to know what's going on currently]
    -Learning to Crawl
    -Spider-Man/Deadpool [callbacks to OMD]

Alternate Universe Reads

-Amazing Spider-Man Newspaper Strip [accessible online via comic kingdom]
    -Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows [Peter, MJ and their kid fight crime together]
    -Spider-Girl [adventures of Peter and MJ's teenage daughter]
    -Ultimate Spider-Man [adventures of a younger Peter Parker, and eventually the introduction of Miles Morales]
    Thank you!