Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The consistency of Diana's mythos & portrayal in the DCEU (Spoiler Warning)

Not sure if we needed a new thread to discuss the consistencies of Diana in the DCEU, if we don't, mods please feel free to join this with another thread.

I just realized why Diana gave Lois Lane that look of empathy in BvS after Superman was stabbed/killed: both men sacrificed their lives to save the world. Thus, she knew exactly what Lois was feeling in those moments directly after the fight. Her compassion in BvS is consistent with how she was portrayed in Wonder Woman.

However, there is the issue of her sword and sheild. If the sword was destroyed in WW when she tried to stab Ares, then where did she get the (magical?) sword that sliced through Doomsday's skin in BvS?

Also, they did not explain why her sheild in Wonder Woman is different from the sheild we see in BvS and Justice League (from what I saw in the trailers) 100 years later.

Is it possible that she made a new sword and shield by herself with magical properties to harm beings like Doomsday, or did she return to Themyscira?

Did you guys see anymore holes in the consistency line?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I felt that Diana's encounter with Ares disillusioned her with humanity (which explains why Diana didn't intervene in the Second World War and subsequent calamities, as far as we know, until Doomsday's attack a century later), but Superman's self-sacrifice revived her idealism to some extent.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

She probably returned to Themyscira and got another one forged. Nice observation on her empathy though.

One other point to consider: Zeus. At some point, the SHAZAM mythos will be incorporated into the DCEU. How should the DCEU handle the idea that the same Zeus that fathered Diana also was one of six beings who empowered Shazam/Captain Marvel?

Chances are Shazam will empower him with magic to approximate the powers of Superman and/or Wonder Woman. Zeus and other mythical characters will be dropped in favor of getting thru the story faster.

Retired

Diana doesn't seem like the kind of person who would give up on us just because of her grief over losing someone. She didn't give up after her aunt died, so she wouldn't give up after Steve died. Rather, they both inspire her to stay true to her beliefs and keep on for their sake.

At this point I'm willing to think that the reason no one remembers Wonder Woman is because Mnemosyne removed all traces of her from our collective memories. But one last piece of evidence--the photograph-remained extant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Diana doesn't seem like the kind of person who would give up on us just because of her grief over losing someone. She didn't give up after her aunt died, so she wouldn't give up after Steve died. Rather, they both inspire her to stay true to her beliefs and keep on for their sake.
    The personal grief over the loss of Antiope and Steve wouldn't do it, but what about the disillusionment of seeing how evil humanity could be, even without Ares' direct influence? I think that realization probably informed her thoughts and choices more than the deaths of loved ones did.

At this point I'm willing to think that the reason no one remembers Wonder Woman is because Mnemosyne removed all traces of her from our collective memories. But one last piece of evidence--the photograph-remained extant.
    Additionally, did British intelligence make sure that the presence of Wonder Woman was never publicized?

Last edited by Buried Alien; 06-02-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    The personal grief over the loss of Antiope and Steve wouldn't do it, but what about the disillusionment off seeing how evil humanity could be, even without Ares' direct influence? I think that realization probably informed her thoughts and choices more than the deaths of loved ones did.

Additionally, did British intelligence make sure that the presence of Wonder Woman was never publicized?

Hmmmm..... I really don't see how Wonder Woman could ignore WWII and The Holocaust. Out-Universe, I don't think Gal Gadot would allow for it.

Extraordinary Member

I felt that Diana's encounter with Ares disillusioned her with humanity (which explains why Diana didn't intervene in the Second World War and subsequent calamities, as far as we know, until Doomsday's attack a century later), but Superman's self-sacrifice revived her idealism to some extent.

That doesn't quite gel though - she is pretty positive at the end of Wonder Woman.

What we don't know is everything that happened in between. Another world war, against an evil more terrible enemy in terms of the Axis powers, might certainly put a dent in her resolve. Especially since the Allies defeat Japan by the nuclear bombing of women and children.

I don't think there would be a need, if we are talking about what she did in this movie. Only a small group saw her in action, and most of them were killed in the gas attack. Steve's buddies certainly would not be telling any stories, considering they would like be put in an asylum.
    Last edited by brettc1; 06-02-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Note: nobody in the movie ever refers to Diana as "Wonder Woman." One-hundred years later, in BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE, there's *still* nobody calling her Wonder Woman. When do you think she actually gets the moniker? JUSTICE LEAGUE?

Retired

It could be like Doctor Who--generally speaking, no one calls him that. For that matter Morpheus is hardly ever referred to as the Sandman in the entire run of THE SANDMAN. I look at the movie title as a bit of word play (like the Dark Knight or the Thin Man). She is a woman who wonders at the world she sees, she's a woman who others wonder about and she's a woman who creates moments of wonder. Diana probably doesn't brand herself as "Wonder Woman" until Myndi Mayer gets ahold of her.

...and DCEU Diana/Wonder Woman likes ice cream cones, just as her counterpart in JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR (animated film) did.

Extraordinary Member

...and DCEU Diana/Wonder Woman likes ice cream cones, just as her counterpart in JUSTICE LEAGUE: WAR (animated film) did.

Well, who doesn't like ice cream?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well, who doesn't like ice cream?
    She didn't just like ice cream, she celebrated it.

I thought in the New 52 JL origin (which is what war was based on) also liked ice cream.